Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all! After reading the forums, I am definitely hooked on buying Zaino! My questions is:

I just bought my car last week and was wondering if the clay procedure should be skipped until later down the road? I admit, I am abit nervous about doing it and am thinking with the car being so new, it could have negative effects on a new paint job? Let me know what you think!

Thanks guys and gals...this is a great forum for info and well appreciated!

~Court

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Originally posted by WILD N CRA Z@Jul 19 2005, 12:39 PM
Howdy all!  After reading the forums, I am definitely hooked on buying Zaino! My questions is:

I just bought my car last week and was wondering if the clay procedure should be skipped until later down the road?  I admit, I am abit nervous about doing it and am thinking with the car being so new, it could have negative effects on a new paint job?  Let me know what you think!

~Court
[snapback]133953[/snapback]​

:welcome: First of all!

You would be suprised at the results you will get from Claying a brand new car.
Just bought a new car for the wife & I got TONS of crap out of the paint. I will make a huge difference.

Don't worry too much about hurting the paint - leaving the crap that's there will hurt it more in the long run than a clay bar will. Just remember DON'T drop it & rub in the direction that wind travels while driving & you'll be fine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Howdy all!  After reading the forums, I am definitely hooked on buying Zaino! My questions is:

I just bought my car last week and was wondering if the clay procedure should be skipped until later down the road?  I admit, I am abit nervous about doing it and am thinking with the car being so new, it could have negative effects on a new paint job?  Let me know what you think!

~Court

Court, the time from the factory to you is a long time, so the paint should be cured out and ready for waxing. The Claybar is up to you, many new cars have rail dust in the paint depending upon how they transported them. I won't harm your paint in anycase whether you want to do it now or later on down the road. If you want your paint to feel super slick and be a nice as possible, I'd clay it just for gits and shiggles. :wavey:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the fast responses! Looks as if I will clay bar it after all, then. I might test it first on my old car......I get nervous when the wind blows on my Z :doh:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
LOL the joys of being a brand new Z owner!!!!! Only thing that could go wrong is if you drop it and use it again. I cut mine up into 4's and use the little pieces. that way if I drop it I am not SOL. :thumbsup: Just make sure to use plenty of clay lube and you will be fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice, Jinx...thanks! :clap:

I read through the sticky post pertaining to application. I don't have a leaf blower so I am going to have to do the old fashion way of the waiting to dry game. Is it common practice to do three applications for the first time? I am in Ohio and it's been very hot and humid here this month....is it best to do it in the shade of a garage? Sorry for so many questions...As you can probably tell, I am very protective of my new baby! :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts

~Court

Go ahead and clay it...won't hurt a thing. Make sure you keep the paint lubricated with some diluted Z7 and water, and turn the clay when it becomes soiled. Best way to start the Zaino process is with clean paint...and clay bar will do that.

If you're worried about the car being new...just check the production date...the vehicle is probably at least two months off the line.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Jul 19 2005, 12:59 PM
LOL the joys of being a brand new Z owner!!!!!  Only thing that could go wrong is if you drop it and use it again.  I cut mine up into 4's and use the little pieces.  that way if I drop it I am not SOL.  :thumbsup:  Just make sure to use plenty of clay lube and you will be fine.
[snapback]133965[/snapback]​

Excellent advice...if you drop it, toss it.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by WILD N CRA Z@Jul 19 2005, 01:04 PM

I read through the sticky post pertaining to application.  I don't have a leaf blower so I am going to have to do the old fashion way of the waiting to dry game.  Is it common practice to do three applications for the first time?  I am in Ohio and it's been very hot and humid here this month....is it best to do it in the shade of a garage?  Sorry for so many questions...As you can probably tell, I am very protective of my new baby! :shiftdrive:
[snapback]133968[/snapback]​

Three applications as in clay and then wax/seal the paint? If you clay you should always wax or seal immediately afterwards because in essence it is stripping away everything from the paint including any old waxes/sealants etc.... In general it's good practice to do it in the shade (of a garage, a tent, a big ole elm tree) but I am not sure w/ Zaino. I haven't used Zaino but have used Blackfire and Wolfgang polymer sealants and it is easier to use the products in the shade. BUT if you don't have a garage, then you do what you gotta do :wink: I am in Pittsburgh and I hear you about the humidity....shouldn't affect anything tho aside from your dehydration :wink:

About the leaf blower, I don't have one either, but I use a wet dry vac *carefully* to get the water out of the hard spots (emblems side front and rear, grille, seams where the body panels meet, side mirrors etc)

autopia.org is a wonderful resource for detailing!!!!!!

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by WILD N CRA Z@Jul 19 2005, 01:04 PM

I read through the sticky post pertaining to application.  I don't have a leaf blower so I am going to have to do the old fashion way of the waiting to dry game.  Is it common practice to do three applications for the first time?  I am in Ohio and it's been very hot and humid here this month....is it best to do it in the shade of a garage?  Sorry for so many questions...As you can probably tell, I am very protective of my new baby! :shiftdrive:
[snapback]133968[/snapback]​

What color is your Z? I prefer to use Zaino on paint that has been in the shade and is not hot to the touch.

It doesn't matter how many layers you apply at a time...just get it on the paint.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by Buff+Jul 19 2005, 12:45 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-WILD N CRA Z
@Jul 19 2005, 12:39 PM

~Court

& rub in the direction that wind travels while driving & you'll be fine :thumbsup:
[snapback]133955[/snapback]​

Where did this come from??? ...doesn't matter what direction you rub a clay bar in as long as the surface is lubricated.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Originally posted by KShep@Jul 19 2005, 12:20 PM
Where did this come from???  ...doesn't matter what direction you rub a clay bar in as long as the surface is lubricated.
[snapback]133983[/snapback]​

:werd:

You should definitely clay the car. I know I would.

After you clay, I'd add a layer of Z2 and a layer of Z5. After that, you can keep compiling layers until your heart is content! I would continue claying once every month to once ever 3 months, depending on how often you drive. :thumbsup:

Questions are more than welcome on this site. After all, it's what we're here for! :wavey:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Also, I would definitely do this in the shade, or preferably a garage. Washing, claying, and waxing paint should always be done on a cool pain surface to aid in avoiding swirls.

Check out this link from our tutorials section on how to apply Zaino.
http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...age&pg=tutor017

If you would like to read through any more tutorials, let me know. I can get a whole list for you. From the perfect wash method to how to cut/buff your swirls out :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Originally posted by KShep+Jul 19 2005, 01:20 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2005, 12:45 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-WILD N CRA Z
@Jul 19 2005, 12:39 PM

~Court

& rub in the direction that wind travels while driving & you'll be fine :thumbsup:
[snapback]133955[/snapback]​

Where did this come from??? ...doesn't matter what direction you rub a clay bar in as long as the surface is lubricated.
[snapback]133983[/snapback]​

:dunno: that's what I was told the first time I ever heard of working with a clay bar :dunno:

Where in OH are you?

·
Registered
7,569 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That sounds like a great time! Unfortunately the girlfriend has a wedding shower on Saturday! :doh:

I DEFINITELY would love doing that in the future! I appreciate the invite and warm welcome here. It truly makes me feel proud and honored to own such a great car with such a loyal and fun loving following! :cheers:

Hope all goes well with the outing and definitely count me in on the next round.

~Court

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Originally posted by WILD N CRA Z@Jul 19 2005, 01:49 PM
That sounds like a great time!  Unfortunately the girlfriend has a wedding shower on Saturday! :doh:

I DEFINITELY would love doing that in the future! I appreciate the invite and warm welcome here.  It truly makes me feel proud and honored to own such a great car with such a loyal and fun loving following! :cheers:

Hope all goes well with the outing and definitely count me in on the next round.

~Court
[snapback]134011[/snapback]​

Ummmm - :dunno: but last I was informed guys weren't supposed to go to those :doh: Well - at least when I got married anyway.

This trip will NOT be an all day event like usual. I'm guessing that it will last maybe 3 hours or so. If you can find a way to make it - we'll see you there :goodtimes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts