Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...so I was minding my own business with my Z, simply driving it hard for the pleasure of hearing the twin exhausts purr....

Ahead of me, the road took a bend right through a stoplight. It was about a 30 mph zone. I take the turn at about 40 and push it hard through the next bend left about 100 yards later. As I am about to enter the second bend, a silver BMW 330i pulls along next to me with 2 guys (about my age...early 20's) in the front seats. I rev it from about 35 moderately (to let him know I was there), he follows suit with his best rev. After his rev and pull, I floored it and flew past him...I was about 4 car lengths ahead of him by the time I saw him pull off the throttle. It wasn't even close! The driver just turned and smiled when he caught up with me at the stoplight.

Z ya later to all the 330i's out there!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by QuickSilverZ@Sep 30 2005, 07:28 PM
Alright...so I was minding my own business with my Z, simply driving it hard for the pleasure of hearing the twin exhausts purr....

Ahead of me, the road took a bend right through a stoplight. It was about a 30 mph zone. I take the turn at about 40 and push it hard through the next bend left about 100 yards later. As I am about to enter the second bend, a silver BMW 330i pulls along next to me with 2 guys (about my age...early 20's) in the front seats. I rev it from about 35 moderately (to let him know I was there), he follows suit with his best rev. After his rev and pull, I floored it and flew past him...I was about 4 car lengths ahead of him by the time I saw him pull off the throttle. It wasn't even close! The driver just turned and smiled when he caught up with me at the stoplight.

Z ya later to all the 330i's out there!
[snapback]159385[/snapback]​

Heh, I got a good laugh out of this story. Thanks I needed it. Congrats on your 330i flyby.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Had a similar thing happen to me. Same deal, minding my own business. Two meatsticks next to me at a light take off. Next light, they're both laughin and giving me looks, like I just "lost" or something. This light, I look over, and say somethin to the effect of "what are you two homos laughing at, huh?" Light goes, and I show them the difference between a 15 second car and a 13 second car.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Jetpilot718@Sep 30 2005, 11:29 PM
Had a similar thing happen to me.  Same deal, minding my own business.  Two meatsticks next to me at a light take off.  Next light, they're both laughin and giving me looks, like I just "lost" or something.  This light, I look over, and say somethin to the effect of "what are you two homos laughing at, huh?"  Light goes, and I show them the difference between a 15 second car and a 13 second car.
[snapback]159426[/snapback]​

Yeah that was more or less the approach these guys had with me...he gunned is engine before I even knew he was challenging me. Normally, I don't pay attention to BMW's since they are in a different class of vehicle...but if you are gonna try and flyby, don't point and laugh at a car that has at least a 40hp edge, not to mention advantages in every other necessary category....

Did you race a 330i? The one I raced tried to take the corner with me, understeered pretty badly, tried to accelerate, and then felt the wrath of my VQ engine...Needless to say it's always nice to put guys like that in their place and just drive off to the sound of my twin exhausts hummin!

·
Registered
18 Posts
E46's engines aren't the most powerful (ovbiously) around these days.. although one of the most charismatic (12th descendent of legendary inline-6)...3400 pounder with 230 hp pretty much sums it up.

have u tried racing with those new E90 330s? those are surprisingly quick machines.. especially through the twisties...

nice kill :irock:

·
Registered
2 Posts
You guys were too lucky that did not race with the 330i ZHP (performance package). That is not an ordinary 330i. My friend is an experineced autocross racer and track day every week. He got dust off by a 330i performance package at the stop light. That ZHP is really fast. I heard about the stock figure 0-60 in 5.6 sec with stock. Now i am thinking 350Z is too slow and you guys better to look for a 2009 GTR to beat the bimmer. This week my friend's 350Z lost to a band new bmw 335i again. He was very mad and decided to trade his cheap 350Z. My 350Z is fully stock with no mod, so never tried to race with any bimmer. too scare to lose. Think twice next time when a 330i pulled next to you. It may be a ZHP.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The only two 3 series that you could be worried about is the M3(new one) and a the new 335iTT. The other performance package that you speek of, if you are correct, gives that 3 series equal 0-60 times to the Z. Im not sure of the weight of the 3 series, but i would say its probably right around the Z. An M3 would give us a run for our money (new M3) but the other two 2 series would be a drivers race. The new 335iTT might edge us by half a car, but a better drive can win that race.
Throw on some TP and a plenum spacer and you'll prob edge past that 335iTT
335iTT is around 250lbs heavier (give or take some weight depending on transmission and what model Z you have)
All in all, should be a good race...
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
504 Posts
You guys were too lucky that did not race with the 330i ZHP (performance package). That is not an ordinary 330i. My friend is an experineced autocross racer and track day every week. He got dust off by a 330i performance package at the stop light. That ZHP is really fast. I heard about the stock figure 0-60 in 5.6 sec with stock. Now i am thinking 350Z is too slow and you guys better to look for a 2009 GTR to beat the bimmer. This week my friend's 350Z lost to a band new bmw 335i again. He was very mad and decided to trade his cheap 350Z. My 350Z is fully stock with no mod, so never tried to race with any bimmer. too scare to lose. Think twice next time when a 330i pulled next to you. It may be a ZHP.

5.6 0-60 isnt ****. All the 330i ZHP is is a body kit, 18'' rims, and another 10hp. What are you crowing about?

The only BMW that I think moves out are the S54's, E46 M3's,335I TT's, M5's, M6's, and the Z8's. All of which are somewhat "rare" on the street. Other than that I am highly unimpressed. (this does not count some of BMW's more exotic experiements).

·
Registered
168 Posts
5.6 0-60 isnt ****. All the 330i ZHP is is a body kit, 18'' rims, and another 10hp. What are you crowing about?

The only BMW that I think moves out are the S54's, E46 M3's,335I TT's, M5's, M6's, and the Z8's. All of which are somewhat "rare" on the street. Other than that I am highly unimpressed. (this does not count some of BMW's more exotic experiements).
+1... 3 series BMWs do not impress, with an exception to the new M3

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1...not too worried about newer 3 series models. At least they got the design right in the 3 this time...enough of those swoopy headlights and excessive curvatures along body panels.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
You guys were too lucky that did not race with the 330i ZHP (performance package). That is not an ordinary 330i. My friend is an experienced auto cross racer and track day every week. He got dust off by a 330i performance package at the stop light. That ZHP is really fast. I heard about the stock figure 0-60 in 5.6 sec with stock. Now i am thinking 350Z is too slow and you guys better to look for a 2009 GTR to beat the bimmer. This week my friend's 350Z lost to a band new bmw 335i again. He was very mad and decided to trade his cheap 350Z. My 350Z is fully stock with no mod, so never tried to race with any bimmer. too scare to lose. Think twice next time when a 330i pulled next to you. It may be a ZHP.
no need for the size 5 bro. I need glasses but not the kind of glasses that require size 5.

·
Registered
556 Posts
:wtf: is a zhp??
Its sounds like the CHP

·
Registered
556 Posts
Xanavi,
Yes, one day if the california highway patrol used the bm 330i ZHP as their patrol car, then ZHP will become CHP, then absolutely, think twice before you drop your clutch. ha..ha...ha..
why would you drop the clutch when you see CHP??? or did I not interpret it properly?
also you need not to be "too scare to loose" to a bmw your z in stock form could take out a handfull of bmws
anyway :welcome: see that your new here

·
Registered
504 Posts
why would you drop the clutch when you see CHP??? or did I not interpret it properly?
also you need not to be "too scare to loose" to a bmw your z in stock form could take out a handfull of bmws
anyway :welcome: see that your new here
+1. BMW has a stigma, but they arent the end-all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts