Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Z versus House (who do you think won?)

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  spkeehan 
#1 ·
OK, so, being the complete idiot I am, Friday morning, my GF and I are getting ready for work. I decide it's a good idea to ride together since we work at the same place. So.....I start moving cars around in the driveway to back the Z out of the garage.

In my haste, I get in the Z, start to back out, and BOOM! I stop the car to see what was the matter. Stupid me had started to back out of the garage with the door open!!! DOH!!!!!! So, I look to see what the damage is, a nice dent, and the window won't go back up. CRAP.

So I take her in to get a quote.....this is where it hurts....apparantly, it damaged the motor, and inside workings of the window. Besides the paint job that I'm now gonna have to have done so it looks right, the window needs to be fixed.

1200 is the quote. Seems expensive....but that is because the door regulator motor alone costs 260.17! The glass regulator.....119.50, the front sash....63.53, and the door belt moulding......88.60 for a grand total of 531.80 for just that stuff.

Needless to say, I'm pissed at myself. For all of you who think about letting your Z take on the garage of your house....think again.

Does this seem expensive (like more than usual) to anyone?

See less See more
#2 ·
wow I hate that happened to ya. Did you get more than one quote? If not I would just to be on the safe side.

#3 ·
Yeah, I got a couple quotes, but that one was the only one that was that extensive. If I had gone with other ones, no doubt, they would have opened it up and known about that problem, and it would have to be fixed anyway. I was just surprised at how expensive the parts were.....thought I would be able to get them cheaper SOMEWHERE.... :( :doh:

#5 ·
Don't go cheap or you'll regret it. Sorry to hear about your brainfart. Everybody has a senior moment... :lol: :drool: Start taking Geritol and it might help.

#6 ·
Don't break your leg tryin to kick yourself in the seat of the pants.

Get more estimates...but more important: what shops in your area do good to great work? Smooth is right about not 'cheaping out'....unless you can find a used door off a wreck, which you'd still have to paint, you'll have to buy the parts. Some shops will work with you, if you locate a cheaper source for the parts.

One more time: find a GOOD SHOP.

At least you weren't out doing donuts in the rain...

#8 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys. Here is another good question.....why oh why are the motor parts/assemblies for the windows in cars so expensive? I've had them burn out on me before and stuff like that. Seems like you can't walk away without a 500-1000 dollar bill. And hearing the guys talk about how the motors "usually have cheap inside parts that blow easy" makes me wonder......if they are cheap, then why does it cost me so much to replace?! :)

Sean

#9 ·
Because you buy them through the dealer.

C'mon now...google up those parts.

I had one go out on my '72 jag. Good thing they're the same as any GM power window motor. $10 at the junkyard...

Find someone parting out a Z33....it'll be tougher that finding a junked Chevy, but may pay back your time with $ saved.

#10 ·
I did the same thing (almost) a couple of weeks ago. Pulled into the garage, opened the door and as soon as my foot touches the floor...it's moving! I failed to set the parking brake. The door handle snags something hanging on the wall and is ripped off. $187 to fix. $85 for the door handle and 2.3 labor hours to replace it. It could have been much worse, I park under a 4 post storage lift (and a '85 MR2). If the door would have caught the lift, it surely would have been folded backwards. Still sucked.

#12 ·
I know how you feel. I am still smarting from running into the GF's Xterra (whoops).

As for parts, try looking around the net. Also, try www.PinnancleNissan.com. They are the cheapest I have found for OEM parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.