Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new to this forum. My name is Cody and I am apart of many other forums. I am wanting to buy a car next year, when I have money to actually buy a Z or a Mini. Keep in mind that I'm 16 now, and will be 17 when I am ready to buy. I wouldn't do any modding in the beggining, however would like to mildly mod the car (Mini comes Supercharged) later. My main choice is between a 03' 350Z in Daytona Blue, or a 02' Mini Cooper S. I love both cars, however I'm unsure in my decision. I want both, but obviously that is not going to happen. I would like some insight if possible. I would like to know the pros/cons, what I should avoid, etc. with a Z. My family has never owned a Nissan, only Ford and Chevy.

I know the Z is ~300hp, whereas the Mini is only ~165hp Supercharged. How is handling in a Z? Can it compete with a Mini? I'm not worried about MPG and etc. like that. More than likely I would either Twin-Charge the Mini or TT the Z after a little while. I don't drive all that much right now, but am hoping to start going to meets, and etc. when I actually get a nice car. (I drive a 93' Dodge Dakota right now-Free)

Thanks for any advice/insight in advance! :shiftdrive:
-Cody

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The Z is sexier than a mini, in most peoples' opinions. The Z is faster, and more sporty overall.

On the other hand, insurance costs will be high for someone your age; you are able to get yourself into trouble a whole lot faster with a Z than a Mini; probably higher car payments along with higher insurance payments.

BTW Cody, :welcome:

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Obviously on this site I think you are going to see a bias towards the Z. An obvious thing to consider is the Z lacking a back seat, this can be considered a pro or a con depending on how you interpret it. I don't know a whole lot about the mini and have never driven one so I can't really comment on the handling and the difference between the two, but i'm sure there are others on this site that can bring some input on that.

As far as the reliability factor compared to Ford and Chevy, Nissan has come a long way and I don't think you will be dissapointed with the Z. It has a few issues to watch out for but your dealership can handle these under warranty and the various TSBs. The major issue with the '03 Zs are tire feathering but not even all of them have that.

For the power issue, you will be happy with the power output out the VQ. Adding a TT to the Z can get you ridiculous power upwards of 400+ rwhp but it can get quite pricey. Realistically for everything you put into a TT setup it can be pushing $10k so just be alert to that in your consideration.

Personally for me the styling alone would make the Z my choice no question about it, but that is all up to personal preference. Good luck in your decision making :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Of course we're all going to vote for the Z. The Mini might seem smaller when you're driving it, but you're going to have a lot more fun in a RWD car with 287hp than you are in the Mini. You might want to think about insurance too. I'm 19 and the Z has taken a toll on my wallet due to insurance, so make sure you check it out before you make a decision.

BTW, I thought the days of twin charging were over? I know they used to do it on Mini's, but I've heard that they've become obsolete because of ball-bearing turbos. I just haven't seen any twin-charging kits out of the box, so it makes it sound like it is more trouble than it's worth. Do you have any links to any?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Being an Allstate Insurance agent, I checked the rates for a Mini Copper S, and to my shock they are more expensive to insure in the tier of Allstate in which my auto is insured in for Texas. If I was to swap out my Z for a 2002 Mini Copper S, my rates would increase by just about $75 / 6-months :OMG: !

You might want to check with your insurance company as the above info may fluctuate state to state insurance company to insurance company.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
EDIT: After speaking with the gay guy in the office, I now retract my previous post. Get a Z or just don't learn to drive until you can afford one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If cody was a girl then yes go with the mini, but seeing how you are not a girl...go with the Z.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I'll expand on Mbacker's post:

Cody,

If you are a straight male, get the z. If you prefer the company of the same sex, then you know which car to choose. Hope this helps!

hahaha

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Z or Mini? There is no doubt about it, the answer to your question is EVO !!!

:irock: :cheers: :shiftdrive: :clap: :irock: :cheers: :shiftdrive: :clap: :irock:

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha Cory,
Actually thought the same. The Cooper, while not a powerful as the Z is a lot lighter. It does handle well on winding roads and can be fun to drive. However, my decision was based on the fact that I always wanted a Z and the price was right! Take a test drive, find a nice piece of road and decide for yourself. Personally while the Cooper is fun to drive around, the Z is a serious Sports Car.

"Love then Lust"

A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, Now to answer the questions:

350zluvr: Insurance on a Mini for me will be anywhere from ~$2.5k-4k a YEAR. That is quite expensive; however I’m willing to pay it for a nice car I can drive. I have been saving money for 3 years now (4 when the car comes) and I have my heart set on a nice car. One thing you could know is that I work (AT KROGER for God’s sakes) and I work my ass off for my money. I’m not a rich kid whose parent’s buy them everything. My dad says if you want it, work for it.

Hazade: I didn’t realize a TT would be that much! Dang!!! I will have to wait until I actually get the car. And seeing as I’m only 16 now, a TT is a long shot and needs to wait a little while. I’m a very responsible person, so don’t think I’m just another 16 year old that is going to kill himself getting a “fast” car. PLEASE.

StudyBuddy: “BTW, I thought the days of twin charging were over? I know they used to do it on Mini's, but I've heard that they've become obsolete because of ball-bearing turbos. I just haven't seen any twin-charging kits out of the box, so it makes it sound like it is more trouble than it's worth. Do you have any links to any?”
Well, not quite. I have only heard of a few Twin-Charged Mini’s, and here is a link to one of them (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/843287. He is pushing 300WHP from the stock SC and a Garrett Turbo. BTW, Electric Blue (the one shown) is the color I would be hopefully getting. As far as I know, there is no “kit.” Twin-charging a Mini is just dropping in a Turbo of you choice, since the S is supercharged already. Now, you can switch that out, for even more HP, but that’ll also crush your wallet.

mbacker85 and Jetpilot718: I’m not a girl at ALL. However, I do like the Electric Blue color, plus the styling/size of a Mini. You can call me gay or whatever if you want, but I assure you I’m not. It is true that a lot of girls drive Mini’s, but I love the Mini, and when I drove my cousins’ Mini (it’s an auto-regular Mini :banghead:) BUT, it was amazing. I wanted a Mini before then, but after driving one I completely fell in love.

Richard 350z: **** straight. If I had $35k to spend I would get the Evo in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I don’t, and am left with a Mini or Z. The G35 is too much, so don’t bother with that either.

PaulO: You hit the nail on the head. That is the answer I wanted. I know the Z is heavier, but has more HP. Now, how do I get a test drive at 16 years old?

I’m very thankful of all your answers. I would like some more, but this is a good start. Any more?

-Cody

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Haha, good. You're on the right track Cody. Do your homework. And most importantly, dont listen to a single thing any of us say - go drive both for yourself!

ps - I was just breakin your balls about the gay thing, I've driven an n/a mini, and they do handle amazing! Just slow as all **** in the straight. A definate autocross star!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Z or Mini? There is no doubt about it, the answer to your question is EVO !!!

:irock: :cheers: :shiftdrive: :clap: :irock: :cheers: :shiftdrive: :clap: :irock:

EVO? Clearly, this kid wants a car with 2 doors, not a family sedan. ha ha even though the Mini is uglyer then ****. In conclustion, get the z.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, hopefully I'm on track. I just applied to a Career School (Scarlet Oaks) for Law Enforcement. I'll be a Junior next year in High School, so hopefully I get accepted and I do good!

Evo's are sick, but I can't afford one, and they are a lot of work (so I've heard).

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Well, hopefully I'm on track. I just applied to a Career School (Scarlet Oaks) for Law Enforcement. I'll be a Junior next year in High School, so hopefully I get accepted and I do good!

Evo's are sick, but I can't afford one, and they are a lot of work (so I've heard).
do WELL...not do good ;)

good luck with the choice!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I can't imagine why anyone would think of a Mini as a "chick" car. Minis have been around since 1959 and they were serious competition in the Monte Carlo Rally in the early 60's. As I recall, they won a couple times. Any car capable of winning the Monte is a lot more than a "chick" car. I still love the original Mini with their 10" wheels. It's a great car and capable of competing with many sports cars. The same is true of the "new Mini". On a twisty road, there isn't much that can beat a Mini.

Les

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't really have any twisties near me. I was thinking of going to an auto-x event and see if I liked that. I'm not really big into car racing, especially illegally (seeing as I want to be a police officer). I really just want a fun, fast, daily driver, and cool looking car that has people turning their heads.

This isn't the easiest decision. I will have ~$20k and a choice between two cars! Ahhh!
-Cody

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I don't really have any twisties near me. I was thinking of going to an auto-x event and see if I liked that. I'm not really big into car racing, especially illegally (seeing as I want to be a police officer). I really just want a fun, fast, daily driver, and cool looking car that has people turning their heads.

This isn't the easiest decision. I will have ~$20k and a choice between two cars! Ahhh!
-Cody
Well since impressing others is more important to you than performance... why don't you just stop random strangers on the street and ask them? You're sure to get a more accurate gauge of "head turning" potential.

Good Luck
Ronin Z

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never said impressing others is more important than performance... I don't know where you got that assumption, but it's wrong. I said I wanted to turn people's heads, yes, BUT! I never said I wanted that more than performance...? A cool looking car can still have performance, I honestly don't get why you are saying that. I'm very confused right now...please explain.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Cody,

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, that was not the intention. But I must admit, I don’t quite understand your quandary.

If performance was the deciding factor, you would clearly choose the Z. As the 350Z outclasses the Mini Cooper S in nearly every objective measure of performance.

If style is the deciding factor, then once again your choice would be clear one way or other. As both cars posses radically different styling.

Since you are on here asking people “what should I get?” I mistakenly inferred that opinions of others (and public perception in general) was the crucial decision making factor for you.

I apologize if I was incorrect. In any event, enjoy your future purchase. Either one is good choice of vehicle.

Good Luck
Ronin Z

1 - 20 of 49 Posts