Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Z back in November. It's an '05 base model /w 'aerodynamic' package (read: spoiler) with about 11,000 miles on it right now (bought it used with 6K miles on it, good deal). I don't think that any of the model upgrade options are really worth the price, correct me if I'm wrong.

My last car was a '98 Eclipe GSX, which, after all of my tinkering, put 392 horsepower to all 4 wheels on an AWD dyno (stock is around 210). 400hp is a lot to squeeze out of a 2.0L 4banger, and I paid dearly for it in reliability. The oil return line from the turbo popped off more times than I can count, and I dumped several quarts of oil into a number of parking lots. Eventually, oil starvation killed my big turbo and my block, with around 107,000 miles on the motor.

At any rate, I expect that I'll keep the Z until at least '09 or so (around the time that I can consider the second year of production of the next-gen G35 and, if I can afford it, GT-R), but I've been very hesitant to modify it at all, both because I'm the indecisive type and because, this being the first warranty I've ever had, I'm determined not to void the warranty or significantly decrease the reliability of the car. I'm also good and tired of sitting under my car in my condo parking lot spilling oil on myself, so I'll probably have anything which requires a change of clothes or a jack done professionally.

My last car was nice looking when I bought it, made much prettier by that nice big frontmount (pic), so I put all of my money into go. I liked the stock rims fine and I'm not really into bodykits. The Z is also nice, but I'm not a fan of any of the stock rim selections.

Since the power on this car is reasonable, my tentative mod list (with questions) is:

stereo, subs and amp (I never bothered with any of this in my eclipse, so I'm going to this time)
- probably go with the stealthbox. I already have 2 W3s that'll fit, so I wonder if I can buy the box empty.
rims and tires
- I'm curious how wide I can go on the tires. Being used to AWD, RWD is fun, but traction is good.
exhaust
- from my very limited browsing, it looks like Borla is the way to go. My understanding is that the exhaust note is low and rumbly, V8ish, which is what I like. I hate bumblebee exhaust.
intake
- I haven't looked at my options at all and assume that it probably doesn't matter what I pick. Thoughts? Recommendations?

It does kind of make me sad that one of my fondest memories of my GSX was annihilating a 350z from a roll, and I know I've stepped down a serious notch in the power department, but I'd much rather keep the car reliable and warrantied than try to regain everything. Suggestions welcome.

Oh, and, nice board ;)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:welcome: Nice to see you here! And that's a nice Eclipse you HAD. Sounded like you knew what you were doing to get all the power out of it.

I think the first thing you should get are new wheels. The VQ engine is tweeked out pretty well from the factory, and it would take a monumental amount of money to get it up to 400whp.

For starters, intakes don't do much and it's all about preference. I have the JWT shorty intake. I like it a lot. My exhaust is only modified in the form of straight test pipes which replace the cats.

I think if you stick around and do a lot of browsing, you'll find this site to be very informative and friendly. This site is well known for DIY writeups.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually chopped a race catback system (built straight with no room for a cat) in order to ADD a hi-flow cat, rather than go catless. I live in San Diego, and the cops (and laws) out here are brutal. I had my eclipse to the smog ref twice.

I'm looking into options for wider than stock rims, thinking of going for the black with silver lip look (I know it's overdone, but I love the look). Any suggestions there? So far I like the Axis Reverb, and I saw some tenzos that weren't bad.

As for intake: why mod it if it doesn't do much? What is there to like about an intake besides performs gains? Under the hood looks? In the eclipse world we needed larger intakes to support our big turbos.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
What is there to like about an intake besides performs gains?
JWT popcharger will have reduced intake temps. It will also loose heat quicker than the stock box. Not sure if this is true for all intakes. I would imagine it has to be shared by a few if not all. As long as it had proper shielding and flow getting to it.

Intake temperature is consistantly 9°F higher than ambient temp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JWT popcharger will have reduced intake temps. It will also loose heat quicker than the stock box. Not sure if this is true for all intakes. I would imagine it has to be shared by a few if not all. As long as it had proper shielding and flow getting to it.

Intake temperature is consistantly 9°F higher than ambient temp.
That would be a performance gain.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
That would be a performance gain.

Really? :) :lmfao:

I was providing you additional information concerning temps that you may not have been aware of since you just came into our world. Most people aren't aware that the OEM intake box holds heat longer than an aftermarket open element. :cheers:

The only other difference would be the sound. Nothing to different here with the Z.

btw, :welcome: to Tech

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really? :) :lmfao:

I was providing you additional information concerning temps that you may not have been aware of since you just came into our world. Most people aren't aware that the OEM intake box holds heat longer than an aftermarket open element. :cheers:

The only other difference would be the sound. Nothing to different here with the Z.

btw, :welcome: to Tech
Not trying to give you a hard time :cheers:

Being from the turbo world, I'm pretty familiar with the advantages of aftermarket intake, although it's true that, since we intercool, we probably pay somewhat less attention to intake temps (at the filter, anyway); we're too busy paying attention to air flow measurement.

Which reminds me, are there any common ECU upgrades for Zs? With DSMs it's mostly fuel control.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Which reminds me, are there any common ECU upgrades for Zs? With DSMs it's mostly fuel control.

The Z Utec from TurboXS just hit the market for us back in November. It's connected like a piggy back but gives full control over functions. IE: doesn't +- % based on OEM maps. But runs drivers independantly.

Seems to be that ECU/ Techtom Rom tuning isn't going to be as popular now with the UTEC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.