Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I currently own a 2003 mazda6, but I am looking to buy a pre-owned 350z, 2004-2005. I'm in southeast PA and we occasionally have bad road conditions due to snow/ice. I'm just wondering how the Z holds up in these conditions. This will be my only car so it will obviously be my daily driver for work and play...but if the car is going to be worthless in the snow, then I'll have to reconsider my purchase options. Thanks in advance for your input, and I will hopefully be joining this club very shortly!

Also, were there any 2004's that came without HIDs? I know the 2003 base trim level had halogen lights (correct me if I am wrong), and I know that all of the new ones come with HID regardless of trim level. Thanks again!

-steve

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I would consider the Z fairly capable in the snow.. but far from a performer. With a full tank of gas and tires that DO NOT belong in the snow, I can get around "okay". I do not recommend it unless you are willing to mount snow tires and possibly add weight to the rear. So, in short, it's possible, but not my first choice.

To my knowledge, 2005/2004 was just like 2003. Where the base model did not come with HID (low beam only). 2006 marks the first year where they both standard and dual xenon.

:welcome: to Tech

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Don't know my Z sits in storage in the winter. I've seen some driving in the snow up here in Mn. I would get some winter tires though. :welcome:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would consider the Z fairly capable in the snow.. but far from a performer. With a full tank of gas and tires that DO NOT belong in the snow, I can get around "okay". I do not recommend it unless you are willing to mount snow tires and possibly add weight to the rear. So, in short, it's possible, but not my first choice.

To my knowledge, 2005/2004 was just like 2003. Where the base model did not come with HID (low beam only). 2006 marks the first year where they both standard and dual xenon.

:welcome: to Tech
Ok. I think one of my first moves will be to buy some nice aftermarket wheels (not sure what kind yet) and go with aggressive summer tires on those...then I can put some decent all-seasons on the factory wheels for winter. I figure snow driving will be somewhat of a challenge, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't completely out of the question.

Also regarding the headlights, if the used car that I am looking at turns out to have regular halogen bulbs/projectors, I may ask the dealer to retrofit the car with factory HIDs. I installed my own on my mazda and don't feel like tackling that project again! Do you guys know if the HID headlight assembly is the same as the halogen assembly? I am hoping that the only difference would be the projectors/bulbs themselves, making a proper retrofit easy.

Thanks again for the input!

-steve

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a base model and put a Brightstar HID kit in it. The install was very simple. It was just plug and play. I think the dealer would charge an arm and a leg to install the factory HIDs.

Les

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ive seen a couple Z here in colorado that brave the snow. my Z doesn't come out when its snowing, thats what the jeep is for. ha ha. it would be nice to use the seat warmers and the rear defrost........then again maybe not.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
check out the bottom of my Wiki page, you will find my remedy to snow and the Z!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I live in WI and we get alot of snow. When I first bought the Z, in Feb 05, I thought I wouldn't have any probs since I am very expierenced at driving RWD in the snow. Two days later when I almost went off the road driving in a straight line, I knew how wrong I was. If it wasn't for VDC I would have ditched it at 45 MPH. The stock tires do not go in the snow. I didn't have another car at the time, so I had to drive in the snow untill April. What is normaly a 10min drive from work took 30-45min, even with 100lbs in the trunk. If anyone can drive a Z, with stock tires, normaly in more than 2in of snow, I will pay to see it.

But it may be perfectly reasonable with good winter tires. I don't know I got an 05 Eclipse instead, to drive in the crap.

I hate snow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey all,

I currently own a 2003 mazda6, but I am looking to buy a pre-owned 350z, 2004-2005. I'm in southeast PA and we occasionally have bad road conditions due to snow/ice. I'm just wondering how the Z holds up in these conditions. This will be my only car so it will obviously be my daily driver for work and play...but if the car is going to be worthless in the snow, then I'll have to reconsider my purchase options. Thanks in advance for your input, and I will hopefully be joining this club very shortly!

Also, were there any 2004's that came without HIDs? I know the 2003 base trim level had halogen lights (correct me if I am wrong), and I know that all of the new ones come with HID regardless of trim level. Thanks again!

-steve
ha ha im in south west pa we get the lake effect snow you never know when well get it i have new 555 nittos not hardly snow tires but the slightest snow fall like a quarter inch and i was stuck on any incline in fact i couldnt tell you how many times i said god ill never do it again just get me down this hill i left it and got a ride

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's all about the tires. I'm in my second season of driving the Z year round in Wisconsin.
4 Blizzaks and you can go anywhere, untill the car bottoms out in deep snow about 6" or more. Blizzaks work extremly well on ice also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's all about the tires. I'm in my second season of driving the Z year round in Wisconsin.
4 Blizzaks and you can go anywhere, untill the car bottoms out in deep snow about 6" or more. Blizzaks work extremly well on ice also.
Yup, I agree.
I have Blizzak LM-22's and they do just fine.

Don't be afraid!
Get the Z and some snows!

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Like all these guys are saying, I'd not advise attempting it without some good snow tires. I've gotten stuck in VERY little snow with performance tires on the car. First gear is usually pretty useless as well but it can be done.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The first major snow we had in Colorado when I got my Z about 3 years ago I realized real quick that I needed a different vehicle for the winter. It could have been that I was a little parinoid with the new car but I did not want someone hitting me or worse me, sliding into someone or something. It was also a great excuse to own two cars :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dammit...I definitely can't afford two cars...and we get a few snowstorms a year! I could definitely manage to put on snow tires....would high-performance all-seasons cut it?

Also, once I get snow tires (or high-perf. all-seasons), how difficult is it to drive in the snow? I mean obviously I know I have to take it slow, but I need to know whether it is possible or down-right treacherous.

The impression I am getting is that the car is impossible to drive in the snow with summer tires....but that's pretty much any car (except for AWD cars, which have a fighting chance)! Let me know....might be making this decision soon!

-steve

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would not recomend all season tires. The Z is a sports car. The designers didn't care about snow handeling.
The car needs a dedicated great performance snow tire. The Blizzaks are outstanding tires for snow and ice. They are no fun to drive on dry roads. They feel like your on marshmellows and if you abuse them they will wear very fast. I look forward to getting them off in spring, to get back into spirited driving.

The car is not treacherous in snow. You need to understand the power. Torque is your friend.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Dammit...I definitely can't afford two cars...and we get a few snowstorms a year! I could definitely manage to put on snow tires....would high-performance all-seasons cut it?

Also, once I get snow tires (or high-perf. all-seasons), how difficult is it to drive in the snow? I mean obviously I know I have to take it slow, but I need to know whether it is possible or down-right treacherous.

The impression I am getting is that the car is impossible to drive in the snow with summer tires....but that's pretty much any car (except for AWD cars, which have a fighting chance)! Let me know....might be making this decision soon!

-steve

If I can get around on Max Summer BFG KDW's and 150lb off the car; than you can get by on std. tires and some added weight to the rear.

Seriously.. The Z is no snow performer.. but imo, it's not that bad. You just have to use your head.

Buy a fwd beater for winter. My main reason for not liking to take the Z out in the snow is the fear of others hitting me.

Dude, buy the Z if you like it and a $1000 beater car for the shitty shitty days.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've driven an RX-7 in the snow a bunch as well as a few friends Camaros, I don't see that there would be any real difference with winter tires. You just can't floor it everywhere.

I would stay with strict summer and winter tires. You'll get better results I think.

The reason I got a winter car instead of new tires and rims is just convienence. I would have spent about the same amount of money on either, and now I don't have to worry about salt and other morons on the road hitting me, cause if they hit my eclipse I'm not going to be too pissed off. I still drive the Z when is nice out, I just make sure keep it clean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts