Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is, the question most women (or spouses) have on their minds, and the answer most spouses don’t like. Is the car that important to you?

1. I spend at least 1.5 hours detailing the Z per week. That is just regular, basic stuff like washing, drying, vacuuming, etc. This does not include waxing or buffing or removing swirl marks, scratches, etc.

2. I always look back over my shoulder when I park the Z and walk away from it. I take note of its beauty, color, location, and the cars parked next to it or near it.

3. I usually do a visual inspection when I return to the car (in public) to see if any type of damage is apparent (keying, door dings, bird poop).

4. I like to take scenic routes to give my car maximum exposure to onlookers. I also cruise slowly by buildings with reflective glass to see how the Z looks from the outside driving by.

5. When driving, I amuse myself by trying to catch the eye of a curious onlooker. If I do catch them, I will smile and wave or give a thumbs up to anyone in a nice, respectable car (i.e. another sportscar or muscle car).

6. I spend a lot of time online ‘window’ shopping for the car, and I consider people on forums as long, lost brothers who know how I feel and think about cars in general.

7. I need therapy. :goodtimes:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought so, but others might interject by suggesting it. I threw that in as bone to admit sanity...for the doubters, you know.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
OMG is it sad if all of the above apply?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@May 16 2004, 01:11 PM
Wait, why do you need therapy?  Is there something wrong with that behavior or something?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that behavior. We are normal, everyone else is warped.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@May 16 2004, 01:04 PM
So here it is, the question most women (or spouses) have on their minds, and the answer most spouses don’t like.  Is the car that important to you?

1. I spend at least 1.5 hours detailing the Z per week.  That is just regular, basic stuff like washing, drying, vacuuming, etc.  This does not include waxing or buffing or removing swirl marks, scratches, etc.

2. I always look back over my shoulder when I park the Z and walk away from it.  I take note of its beauty, color, location, and the cars parked next to it or near it.

3. I usually do a visual inspection when I return to the car (in public) to see if any type of damage is apparent (keying, door dings, bird poop).

4. I like to take scenic routes to give my car maximum exposure to onlookers.  I also cruise slowly by buildings with reflective glass to see how the Z looks from the outside driving by.

5. When driving, I amuse myself by trying to catch the eye of a curious onlooker.  If I do catch them, I will smile and wave or give a thumbs up to anyone in a nice, respectable car (i.e. another sportscar or muscle car).

6. I spend a lot of time online ‘window’ shopping for the car, and I consider people on forums as long, lost brothers who know how I feel and think about cars in general.

Well lets start off by changing *women* to my husband.

1. I just spent 8 hours detailing my baby Z....

2 & 3 ALWAYS

4 nothing like a nice cruiZe, esp on local highways going 5 mph under the speed limit so people have to look at her...

5, 6, 7 AMEN!!!!

It's a disease. We are all very sick sick people, but I like it that way!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
You forgot one.

8. I am VERY careful where I park my 350Z, so I don't get any door dings. I try to park parallel on the street rather than side by side in a parking lot whenever possible. If I have to park in a parking lot, I park as far away from the other cars as possible. I don't care how far I have to walk to get to the store from my remote parking spot. I NEVER give my car to a parking valet.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Terri, how does your hubby feel about you spending a majority of the day with the Z? I think my wife would flip! Unless, of course, I was entering a serious car contest for prizes, then I think she might understand, as long as I interspersed some time with the family.

Richard, as for valet parking, only once did I do that and it was for a special occasion (a date w/wifey) and the lot was full. It was cold out, and she had on a skirt. Had to give in and be considerate. Had to give it to the kids who parked my car, though. The guy drove it, but the girl he was working with made him park it right in front of the restaurant in a handicap spot and put cones around it. I thought that was cool. Gave them a decent tip for that one.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@May 16 2004, 11:04 AM
So here it is, the question most women (or spouses) have on their minds, and the answer most spouses don’t like.  Is the car that important to you?

1. I spend at least 1.5 hours detailing the Z per week.  That is just regular, basic stuff like washing, drying, vacuuming, etc.  This does not include waxing or buffing or removing swirl marks, scratches, etc.

2. I always look back over my shoulder when I park the Z and walk away from it.  I take note of its beauty, color, location, and the cars parked next to it or near it.

4. I like to take scenic routes to give my car maximum exposure to onlookers.  I also cruise slowly by buildings with reflective glass to see how the Z looks from the outside driving by.

5. When driving, I amuse myself by trying to catch the eye of a curious onlooker.  If I do catch them, I will smile and wave or give a thumbs up to anyone in a nice, respectable car (i.e. another sportscar or muscle car).

1. Me too

2. I deliberately park next to some substandard car just so they can envy mine when they return to theirs

3. That is a must

4. This is a must also

5. Depends on the car

6. I am a online junkie, need i say more?

7. Only therapy I need is more time to drive the Z

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Ever since I got the Tilton rally clutch and 8 lb. flywheel, no valet could drive my Z anyway. I was at Buttonwillow raceway last Sunday, and an instructor (a professional race car driver) killed it four times in a row before he could launch it onto the track.

I could leave it with running with the keys in the ignition and the drivers door wide open parked on Wilshire Blvd. in downtown L.A. No one would steal it because no car thief could drive it.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by Richard 350z@May 16 2004, 09:11 PM
Ever since I got the Tilton rally clutch and 8 lb. flywheel, no valet could drive my Z anyway.  I was at Buttonwillow raceway last Sunday, and an instructor (a professional race car driver) killed it four times in a row before he could launch it onto the track.

I could leave it with running with the keys in the ignition and the drivers door wide open parked on Wilshire Blvd. in downtown L.A.  No one would steal it because no car thief could drive it. 

That has got to be crazy to drive that. I would love to see how it feels and see it rev.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@May 16 2004, 09:12 PM
So Terri, how does your hubby feel about you spending a majority of the day with the Z?  I think my wife would flip!  Unless, of course, I was entering a serious car contest for prizes, then I think she might understand, as long as I interspersed some time with the family.

LOL Doug was supposed to be golfing this weekend, so I planned the weekend of detailing. When he change his trip to next, I told him to not even think of giving me heck for spending all day on my Z! And plus the fact I helped him detail his truck all day on saturday (and it is a filthy construction truck, so dirty that I forgot his seats have color in them, it appeared out of nowhere after steam cleaning the seats)...

I think he is coming round tho, he ordered an intake and ECU upgrade for his truck this weekend and went and had new speakers installed + amp yesterday so he has no room to bi**h for a few minutes! LOL

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
its good to find a girl that know how much you like playing with your car.. and even suggests that you buy things for it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I agree with all of those points. Man I LOVE those glass mirror buildings

2. I deliberately park next to some substandard car just so they can envy mine when they return to theirs
I'm always tempted to do this, but people with substandard cars are the people who don't care if they open their door and mess it up while messing your own car up. If you're parked next to a jag, you can assume the guy wants to take care of his car enough to not whack the Z!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by cedusett@May 17 2004, 03:21 PM
I'm always tempted to do this, but people with substandard cars are the people who don't care if they open their door and mess it up while messing your own car up.  If you're parked next to a jag, you can assume the guy wants to take care of his car enough to not whack the Z!

Exactly! If I have to park near other cars, I always look for the nicest cars I can find. Granted they won't always care. And sometimes the people with sh!tty cars will care. But the odds favor the nice cars.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I agree, it's was funny to come out of the grocery store the other day where I was parked like way far away, and some dude in a beauty 80's something vette covertible had parked right next to me. Encountered him as I was walking back and he was walking to. Exchanged niceties, and he said well if someone else parks close, at least we know one side of our cars is safe! LOL That was really cool!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@May 17 2004, 02:38 PM
I agree, it's was funny to come out of the grocery store the other day where I was parked like way far away, and some dude in a beauty 80's something vette covertible had parked right next to me.  Encountered him as I was walking back and he was walking to.  Exchanged niceties, and he said well if someone else parks close, at least we know one side of our cars is safe!  LOL That was really cool!

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago with a newer vette. One of the very few nice vetter owners.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
After reading the list above, I can definately say that I have done all of those things and I still do on a regular weekly basis. It sometimes gets overwhelming at times where you try to plan your agenda around your car.

Will the madness ever end? I hope not...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts