Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

Do you usually cruise the freeway in 5th or 6th gear?

• 5th gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6th gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to see what gear you guys are in on your typical freeway cruise at 65mph-75mph? Personally, I enjoy keeping the gearing in 5th to be able to have some kick whenever I want it. I'm a pretty aggressive driver, not a bad driver. Definitely one of the better aggressive drivers, and I feel the need to keep the car in 5th gear for the most part on the freeway because I can maneuver the car more efficiently when dumb ass drivers on the road decide to cut you off. :shiftdrive:

If you turn off your traction control while on the freeway, will this contribute to better aid the handling structure of the car in a sudden situation where maneuvering the car is necessary?

Would like to hear your opinions please...

Adam B.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
I drive in 6th as I get better milage. I also maintain a speed of 80-85...so I notice my mpg are better around 70-75mph.

I blip the throttle and downshift when needed for that extra boost!! Works well in traffic, I can out manuever a lot of cars and make my travel a bit xciting and safe. I have avoided a lot of stupid drivers this way.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Jul 25 2005, 12:58 PM
I am in "D" most of the time :wink:
[snapback]136817[/snapback]​

+1....unless I'm in "N" waiting for Buff to catch up. :nana:

On the freeway I would keep it in the higest gear available...lower revs=longer engine life.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I normally shift into 6th gear at 65mph. I know what gears to downshift to if I need to though :wink:

The harder the engine is working...more gas, hotter oil, higher engine temps...I just like to keep my car lasting as long as possible.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
As it is, 6th is too short. When cruising at like 75-80, 6th is at like 3000rpms. Kinda high IMO. ****, I use 6th at any speeds above 40. The car has plenty of torque to go around.

Also, the question about the traction control on the highway.. uhh, if you have VDC and TCS, leave them on. They will sort out whatever mess a non-track experienced driver may get themsleves in.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I like the power in the lower gear. I normally drive in traffic around here, so it's rare that I get into 6th gear.

Oh, and I don't shift into 6th until I'm at least 75mph and gaining.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Jetpilot718@Jul 25 2005, 12:15 PM
As it is, 6th is too short. When cruising at like 75-80, 6th is at like 3000rpms. Kinda high IMO. ****, I use 6th at any speeds above 40. The car has plenty of torque to go around.

Also, the question about the traction control on the highway.. uhh, if you have VDC and TCS, leave them on. They will sort out whatever mess a non-track experienced driver may get themsleves in.
[snapback]136954[/snapback]​

Crazy... I could never go around city streets in 6th gear lol... I'm just used to having a powerful car so 6th gear for me is like driving a carolla S :lmfao: 3000 RPMs is pretty low in my opinion. My gti 6-speed is at about 3500-3600rpm at that relative speed.

I have plenty of track and road experience, I was just curious to see how much control is sacrificed or how much stability is added with the VDC and TCS features.

Sounds like most of you guys are conservative with wear and tear on the car. I suppose their is a point to be taken, but I just feel 6th gear is gutless until your doing 80mph +

Thanks for the reply's guys!

·
Registered
5,437 Posts

Crazy... I could never go around city streets in 6th gear lol... I'm just used to having a powerful car so 6th gear for me is like driving a carolla S  :lmfao:  3000 RPMs is pretty low in my opinion. My gti 6-speed is at about 3500-3600rpm at that relative speed.

I have plenty of track and road experience, I was just curious to see how much control is sacrificed or how much stability is added with the VDC and TCS features.

Sounds like most of you guys are conservative with wear and tear on the car. I suppose their is a point to be taken, but I just feel 6th gear is gutless until your doing 80mph +

Thanks for the reply's guys!

Your GTi is a 4-banger ;) Thats why its ok to wind out so high. I just think that the Z would have been better off having a slightly taller 6th. Then maybe I'd leave it in 5th while driving in the streets instead of 6th :shiftdrive:

Don't get me wrong, when I'm in a driving mood, the revs are wayyyy up there.. I mean, like 5-6K during heel-toeing while attempting to stop (maybe thats the real reason my girl broke it off with me? haha)

I just find that if I drive the car moderately when I'm not playing around, it feels that much faster when I do get on it. :OMG:

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
shezzzhot gave my driving pattern to a T

No need to wind it up and put undo stress unless there is someone that needs tending too, like a ricer wanting to let it go.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Originally posted by HyperSprite@Sep 8 2005, 01:13 AM
My car pulls fine in 6th for regular driving, even up grades, if I need to pass someone or whatever, I would rather be in 4th, than mess around with 5th. So a quick blip and into 4th and I am out if there.

Chris
[snapback]153542[/snapback]​

+1.. 6th is fine for cruising for me.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
i have a 5AT and i have noticed that the car still has power to accelerate on 4th.....
while on 6MT, i have been able to press the car harder on highspeeds on 5th.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Originally posted by Hazade+Sep 8 2005, 06:20 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-HyperSprite
@Sep 8 2005, 01:13 AM
My car pulls fine in 6th for regular driving, even up grades, if I need to pass someone or whatever, I would rather be in 4th, than mess around with 5th. So a quick blip and into 4th and I am out if there.

Chris
[snapback]153542[/snapback]​

+1.. 6th is fine for cruising for me.
[snapback]153559[/snapback]​

+1 ...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I normally do high way cruising in 6th gear. I do not have traction control on my Z. I don't know the difference if I had one so I guess its not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by MRballer350z@Jul 25 2005, 12:56 PM

If you turn off your traction control while on the freeway, will this contribute to better aid the handling structure of the car in a sudden situation where maneuvering the car is necessary?

Would like to hear your opinions please...

Adam B.
[snapback]136816[/snapback]​

No, it won't. It's designed to stop oversteer in a result of poor rear traction. It will not help you to turn it off if you are unable to compensate.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts