Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah but what i like is really expensive :(

oh yeah and what exactly is the offset? that's the one bit i didn't understand.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
yeah these are way tooooooo high

the wheels look good though

i think the max u can go front is 29, and 35 rear....

maybe i am mistaken...i dunno

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
What everyone else has said.

The front rims are no wider than the pre-05 stock Touring rims (so narrower than the Track rims), but will sit 17mm further IN. Even if it doesn't foul the struts and guards, the rims will sit way too far in and look like you're driving on space savers.

The rears will sit about the same from the edge of the guard as stock, and should easily clear the rear struts...but they're only half an inch wider than stock.

Unless you're getting them for firesale prices (and $2500 is not cheap) I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Contempt - here's a offset 101 lesson.

Baseline is the 350Z, which has a +30 offset (actually the offsets vary between models and front / rear wheels, but we'll use this figure as a base).

When the advertised wheels have a bigger + offset, such as the +47 on the ebay wheels, and the wheels are the same width (ie 7.5" front), then the outside of the advertised wheels will be tucked in 17mm (difference between 47 and 30) towards the engine when placed on the front of the 350Z, compared to stock. This would look horrible, as I would want to have the outside edge of the wheels further in the opposite direction and closer to the wheel arch.

Now for the rear. Again there is a difference of 17mm in offsets between the 350Z wheel and the advertised wheel. However, the advertised wheel is 8.5" wide compared to the 350Z rear wheel which is 8" wide. So the 0.5" difference is about 12mm in metric terms. So the advertised wheel is 12mm wider or 6mm wider on the inner side of the wheel and 6mm wider on the outer side of the wheel. To determine where the outer edge of the advertised wheel will sit on the 350Z, it will be located 17mm inboard (due to offset differences), but will stick out 6mm (due to the wheel being wider). So simply subtract 6mm from 17mm and the advertised wheel will be tucked in 11mm on the rear of the 350Z compared to a stock wheel. Again, this is going in the wrong direction as you want the wheel to be closer to the rear guard and not further from it.

Look for wheels that have an offset closer to or a little less than stock.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
great bit of info KY, thanks alot

i wrote down the offsets and width of my Ann wheels last time it was on the hoist (front 18x8 +30, rear 18x8.5 +33)

going to do some quick sums to see where my SF challenges will sit

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. So where is the best place to get good rims in Australia?

Also, is it worth going for the light weight rims? rays etc? how much weight am I likely to save over stock track rims?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think most guys in Aus order brand new hi quality japanese brand wheels from either Japan or USA. Some members have purchased locally also (I think from Melb). I'm sure some of the other guys will provide you with some links.

WRT weight saving with lightweight wheels, you can save between 1-2 kilos by getting lighter rims. That's very significant when you're racing around a track, but for general street driving, you probably won't notice a difference.

I think you're on the right track looking for good quality Jap wheels as 2nd hand items (cause they're expensive new @ about $1000 per wheel) - just got to be patient until the right ones come up!!!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i bought my wheels locally from RMS Motorparts, he then ordered them from Rays Japan. My wheels had to be manufactured, there is no stock in Japan in the color/size i want. You'll be hard pressed to find a US dealer that has exact Rays wheels you want in stock, but if they do, and you dont mind paying the USD $500-700 odd to ship them airmail, then you could have them within a week. I ordered my wheels exactly 1 month ago, and am still waiting.........though Volk did close over xmas/new year

and just as KY mentioned, they were just over 1K each wheel brand new

1 - 11 of 11 Posts