Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you have installed an aftermarket XM radio, how did you install your antenna. The instructions that came with my unit said to put the antenna on the roof, but I dont want it to scratch and there will be this hideous wire running from the antenna to wherever it enters the car.

Has anyone drilled a hole and run the wire into the car that way? Is that advisable? Will it affect resale value?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Consider that done. Thanks guys. It kept saying that it had to be mounted on the metal body, which I really didn't want to do. Glad to know there's a good alternative. Now I just have to get an aftermarket HU so I can hardwire the XM so I don't have to go through the car radio antenna.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Heres what I did:

First, find a suitable XM Inside (not XM Ready - that will make you have to buy all this other crap to make it work) Head Unit like this one:

The Alpine Xm Inside HU.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Next, run the wire to the antenna. This is simple. There's more than enough panels to stuff wires under in the Z.

This is where I mounted the antenna initially..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Then, DrBonz gave me a tip and said that I could mount the antenna UNDER that plastic piece for the RSTB, and it would not only fit - but the reception would be just as good.

Also, the material under the plastic RSTB cover is METAL. So it will just stick on, and your done.

Good luck.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm actually having my antenna painted to match the color of the car, and then I saw a post from somone else who put a piece of the 3M Clear Bra material on their roof kinda like 5x5" square and placed the antenna on that, to prevent it from scratching or anything... which I thought was a great idea.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Originally posted by DaTaSPiKe@Oct 21 2004, 02:21 PM
I'm actually having my antenna painted to match the color of the car, and then I saw a post from somone else who put a piece of the 3M Clear Bra material on their roof kinda like 5x5" square and placed the antenna on that, to prevent it from scratching or anything... which I thought was a great idea.

Why not just hide it completely inside the RSTB tho?? Seems like alot of work to go through to then have to stick somethin to the top of your car..

·
Registered
909 Posts
Originally posted by Jetpilot718@Oct 21 2004, 03:19 PM
Then, DrBonz gave me a tip and said that I could mount the antenna UNDER that plastic piece for the RSTB, and it would not only fit - but the reception would be just as good. 

Also, the material under the plastic RSTB cover is METAL.  So it will just stick on, and your done. 

Good luck.

Very COOL, I've been trying to find this info so I can verify that I can actually do this. Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by BlueDragonZ+Nov 15 2004, 05:41 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Jetpilot718
@Oct 21 2004, 03:19 PM

Also, the material under the plastic RSTB cover is METAL.  So it will just stick on, and your done. 

Good luck.

Very COOL, I've been trying to find this info so I can verify that I can actually do this. Thanks. :thumbsup:

yeah, i did this and it works like a charm. thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just for your info, if you take apart the antenna, pull off the magnetic base and throw away the plastic housing the antenna gets really small and you can hide it completly.

This is where I put my Sirius antenna.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I had mine on my rear strut tower but I didn't like it there so I had them put it in my rear brake light on the hatch. Don't even notice it now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also put mine under the plastic cover of the rear bar. The reception is great. The only thing you have to do is takea plastic tab off the back side of the plastic cover. It was very easy to do and is completely hidden.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts