Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are going to install a head unit for your Z you will need these items:
These can be purchased at most car audio supply stores (best buy, frys, circuit city, etc..)

Metra
Dash kit: 99-7402
Car Side wiring harness: 70-7550

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
When I swapped mine, my HU (not the Blose) had 3 harnesses feeding into the back, but every harness I saw only had 2. Any ideas what the third was for?

·
Registered
83 Posts
CAN YOU USE A DIFFERENT HEAD UNIT ON AN 03 IF YOU HAVE A BOSE SYSTEM? I was told you have to replace the speakers and stuff...is that correct? I really want to get the Pioneer Avic-1 but I was told I had to replace all of my speakers to do this. IS ANY OF THIS ACCURATE?

THANKS

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Well, I don't know for certain that you have to change them since I don't have a Bose, but if you're changing your HU, I hope you're planning on changing them anyway. A head unit is only as good as its speakers, and from my understanding, the Bose speakers aren't all that great.

Sorry I can't tell you about the need to replace them

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have new subs. but I don't want to spend 2K on the head unit and another 2K or 3K for new interior speakers and amp. So I'm hoping someone can tell me if there is a way to use the new head unit with the Bose system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Of course you can use your BOSE Speakers with de new HU, but i'm not shure wheter you still can use your woofer ore not.... if the amp for the woofer is connectet with chinch cables then yes.

But what I realy don't understand is.. why are you talking about 2-3K? I think you'll simply find:

4 Speakers: about 600$ (even the cheapest and weakest buyable speaker is bether than BOSE) .... yes it's true!

1 Amp: 300$ (even the weakest Amp ist stronger)

1 10" Woofer 300 - 400$ (same)

cables: 50 - 100$

Work: depends

and then

GreeZ

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Metra Wire Harness and the American Internation Wire Harness

Here is a link for the Metra:
Circut City

Here is a link for the American International:
Buy.com

You can find both on eBay which I really recommend you doing.

I ended up using the American International harness versus the Metra one, because the AI came with wiring instructions as what was what. I will try and find an electronic version of those instructions or just take a picture.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there any difference with the Metra Kit and the American Internation kit?
I'm looking to get a kit for a single din with pocket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by Mikey@Jun 15 2004, 01:34 AM
I have new subs. but I don't want to spend 2K on the head unit and another 2K or 3K for new interior speakers and amp. So I'm hoping someone can tell me if there is a way to use the new head unit with the Bose system.

Maybe you need a RCA adapter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As far as I know you can't use a new head unit with the bose system... I've gone to many audio places and they all say the same thing!

·
Registered
41 Posts
As far as I know you can't use a new head unit with the bose system... I've gone to many audio places and they all say the same thing!
<div align="right">[snapback]95250[/snapback]
[/quot

So is there something better than Bose?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<div align="right">[snapback]95250[/snapback]
[/quot]

So is there something better than Bose?
<div align="right">[snapback]95431[/snapback]
Umm, yes. Pretty much anything aftermarket will be better than Bose. I honestly have no idea where they got their "Big Name" hype. Bose systems in vehicles have always sucked. Not only do they sound bad, but they are extremely difficult to upgrade, unless you want to dump hundreds of dollars ( if not a thousand or more) into aftermarket: headunit, amp, wiring, speakers, etc..)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agreed. I've spent over $1300 to replace my stock system and that's cheap. Some people spend more than that on just a head unit!

Of course I knew I was going to upgrade the stereo immediatly so knew not to get the $1400 Bose upgrade.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by Kaitain@Jun 14 2005, 12:28 PM
Agreed.  I've spent over $1300 to replace my stock system and that's cheap.  Some people spend more than that on just a head unit!

Of course I knew I was going to upgrade the stereo immediatly so knew not to get the $1400 Bose upgrade.
[snapback]114011[/snapback]​

I do not think it's a real bose system. I think Bose puts their name on it same as Polk in my old BMW.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm trying to wire up my harness today. I have a 2 din HU and they have provided me with a harness. My questions are:
1. Do I have to purchase a dash kit for this unit even thought it is a 2 din?
2. Do I have to purchase a harness kit or can I make use with the one I already have?
3. If I can use the harness I have then how do I hook it up?

I have attached some pics so you know what I'm dealing with. Unfortunaly all my directions are in Chinese so you guys are all I have.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Bully

the guy is located on Sample and wiles rd....why dont u go there so he can get it done for ya..:)

u still got his number? site?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts