Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going against all my friends recommendations and driving the z through winter. I plan on mounting snow tires on the OEM 18's, do I have to stay with the stock size or can I get thinner winter tires to save some cash? also whats a cheap brand of winter tire? I'm not to worried about performance when its 10 degrees outside.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, does anyone know what sizes will fit? are front and rear rims different widths or do they just have different size tires?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
The 18's hold 225/40 and 245/40, but you might want to ask the tire vendor if you can go with something smaller.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've driven a lot of performance cars through NY winters.

All you need is a good set of snows.

I'm going today to get a set of Blizzak LM-22's put on my Z.
Stock, 17 inch sizes on the stock rims.
225/235.
It was tough to find them in the staggered sizes.
I could've gone 225/225, and that opened up more choices, but I wanted to stick with the stock sizes.

Dunlop winter sport M2/3's are good.
I'll see how these Blizzaks are.
Go with a "performance snow tire". There are a lot of clear dry winter days that you can still have fun, so get a tire that handles the dry as well.

My Blizzak LM22's were pricey, around $670 for the 4 of them.
18 inchers will be even more.
But if you want to keep your stock rims you can save money by not having to buy an extra set of wheels.
When I get the money, I'll keep my snows on the stock 17's, and get some of the newer style 18" rims for the summer.

I don't like the look of steel wheels with covers.
The snows are going to be on there for a while. At least up here, it's almost half the year.
I don't remember if the Tirerack offered steel wheels for the Z, either.

So good luck!
Take it easy, but still have fun.

A nice open un-plowed parking lot makes for a nice skid pad.
Go play!!
That's what I was doing in that picture.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire Rack wants $876 for LM 22's and $786 for M3's, no steelies offered.

225/45's will fit on the rear rims? will it look dumb or is it even be noticable?

I hear you jpjr, I go hunting for parking lots and deserted streets when it snows.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:lol: You guys are crazy. I drove my 300ZX through a couple of winters w/o the correct tires. Man, was I always stressed out. I'll never go through that again.

If you have 18x8s on all 4 corners, then you can stagger the tire sizes 225/245. At least that's what Nissan did for my 03 setup.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
weight dist. system for winter Z driving

Things you will need
1. Plywood
2. Felt or rubber
3. Threaded rod that is roughly 12", make sure it is the same thread as the existing tie down rod on the spare. you will also need a way to secure it to the spare in place of the existing threaded rod
4. 75-80 barbell weights (must be small enough to fit inside the spare tire)
5. rubber cement

1. Cut a template (round) from plywood fit inside the spare. make sure you also drill a hole that for the threaded rod
2. sand the rough edges
3. glue felt around the edge, glue felt to one side of the plywood saucer
4. remove the foam cone
5. remove the tie down and threaded rod
6. put in the longer rod, and secure it to the assy that the OEM threaded rod was
7. Put the plywood saucer in with the felt side up and ensure that the felt is properly situated on the edges so that you don't scratch your spare up
8. place the barbells on the saucer
9. use the threaded cap that originally held the spare in and secure the weights
10 take a towel and place between the rim and weights to prevent movement and protect the rim
11. put the spare tire cover down
12. go driving!!

put the foam piece in the garage for the winter!

good luck, I have done this for 2 winters without snow tires - works great, but will probably put snows on back this year.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
****, Pete. That is intense. Now tell me something....what are you drinking or did your wife slap you on the head too hard? The spelling police is all over you like white on rice! :lmfao:

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
****, Pete. That is intense. Now tell me something....what are you drinking or did your wife slap you on the head too hard? The spelling police is all over you like white on rice! :lmfao:

Wow it was bad eh! dog was on my lap and made it hard to type. fixed!

although, could have been the scotch on the rocks too!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol: You guys are crazy. I drove my 300ZX through a couple of winters w/o the correct tires. Man, was I always stressed out. I'll never go through that again.

If you have 18x8s on all 4 corners, then you can stagger the tire sizes 225/245. At least that's what Nissan did for my 03 setup.
If the rims are 18x8 all the way around then I'm going with 225's front and rear. Anyone ever do this? have any issues?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.