Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to use my Z roadster for commuting. Considering buying 4 cheap 17" wheels with snows mounted when weather gets bad vs mounting Blizzax on the 18" wheels and keep them on for the season. Set of 4 Blizzax cost almost $1500 with free seasonal changover remountings. Too much, Right?

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
when i was stationed in Germany i never bothered to switch out my tires for winter on my 97 Z28 (i had BF Goodrich Comp T/A's) got plenty of snow but never had a problem. as for the Z, i still got my 17" rims and depending on how the weather is at Ft Campbell, Ky i might.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I did last winter in North Jersey with my stock wheels/tires. I had very few problems. Just as long as you know the limits of the car you'll be fine

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I also faired the snow in southern NJ last year. the secret - I purchased a 50lb weight for a barbel set. cut a plywood circle that fit the inner portion of the spare tire, got a long dowel and screwed in place. It was the perfect weight, centered over the rear wheels and secure.

I was thinking of making a template to post with pics. total cost $50 - a lot less than tires!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
it held the road at most speeds - bigger problem was the amount that piled up was more than the clearnace of the car!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
the weight in the back works for that too!!

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
You Jersey guys, I tell ya. LOL
(remember I can say that b/c my daddy's from jersey!) Up here in Pittsburgh I had NO luck in the snow w/ Lucy last winter on stock rims/tires. No go in snow in the mountains w/ all the hills. I waited till the plowed my street to venture out, they are quick out here *unfortunately when I was on my way to work*. My solution was to buy a NICE set of rims for the spring/summer/fall and blizzaks for my stockers in the winter. I only paid $800 for the blizzaks and I think I paid $60 to have them mounted and balanced on the stockers. You are getting ripped off on that kinda unless you are planning to be switching the tires out for years and years. I don't plan on having her be my daily driver in a few years, a garage queen she will become. And maybe buying something else this winter to drive b/c the rwd does nothing on ice or any significant accumulation of snow on the streets w/ the torque all we did was spin back wheels...Then again I don't have the 18" rims stock so I really wanted to switch them out for bigger rims anyways. But remember if you like your stockers and want to keep them nice then you MUST wax them before winter. Or get a small set of those black like 16" rims w/ snows on them (they sell sets of them on tirerack.com for our z's I think) b/c I know the salt and sand here over a period of time will wreck my rims in the winter time. As cold as it gets she doesn't get washed very often in winter and that crap is fatal to clear coating....

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
speaking of weight in the back,. tht is what the 50 lb bag of roadsalt is for

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I tried to buy a couple of bags of sand last winter, and when I got to Home Depot it was all buried under about 6 inches of snow

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I didn't have too much trouble last winter. I didn't even try to go anywhere most of the time because I was carpooling and lazy, but I did think about going out and getting some bags of sand and salt just in case, but never did.

I'm a little more worried about this winter. Like DiRN said, the traction isn't such an issue if you know the limits of the car, but ground clearance is sometimes. Since I just put my springs on I can't imagine that got any better.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
i wont drive my Z in the winter if theres snow/slush/ice
luckily i picked up a winter beater today

·
Registered
148 Posts
Steve350Z- Where were you stationed in Germany? I visited Ram(m)stein and Baumholder in January.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts