Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I dawn washed, claybarred, wash again, and put on the first step blackfire polish. Today, wash (after the rain last night...ugh) and 4 layers of blackfire all paint protection w/ my handy dandy pc and random orbital buffer... very pleased w/ my results. Let er rip old man winter, you aint got nuttin on us!!!! :headshake:

Some nice fall colors in the reflections..

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Nice Jinx! Better wear some sunglasses when looking at that shine!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
What is "blackfire" and who makes it. I have been looking at a Zaino but the $ for a total treatment is ouch!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
by the way Jinx - it looks AWESOME!

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Conceyted@Oct 24 2004, 07:48 PM
i dont understand... you use a pc and a random orbital? any reason?

Reason being: the comfort of power tools! :biggrin: I use the pc to put the polymer on, and use the random orbital buffer to take it off....saves me some shoulder burn here and there...If you got power tools, use them! I got 4 layers on in about 2 hours, not bad eh?

buZam, blackfire is a polymer sealant like Zaino but there are less steps and no adding this to that etc, a little more simple, and the blackfire seems to bring out the gold fleck the best, I've tried a lot of difft stuff but this one I like the best. In the summer I like to top it off w/ carnuba wax for more depth, but in pittsburgh the carnuba won't make it thru the winter so I left it off till next spring.

Blackfire link

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
thx, I'll check it out. want to get sealed up before winter in NJ sets in.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Oct 24 2004, 05:22 PM
Yesterday I dawn washed, claybarred, wash again, and put on the first step blackfire polish.  Let er rip old man winter, you aint got nuttin on us!!!!  :headshake:

That Brick shine looks simply AWESOME!!

While I too am still residing up here in the (eventual frozen tundra) North East - I usually choose to remove my Z from the typical road salt and unknown debris during the winter months. I recently gave my Z the 'once over' with some Meguiars Gold Class paste wax. (Topped with some Canauba too) I decided to purchase some NXT - but haven't tried it. There's been nothing but positive reviews on that particular product.
(As a Z owner, I haven't quite transitioned to the ZAINO cult yet.) :shock:

Again, great job on your spectacular shine!
:party:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Looking great! Lots of depth in the gloss. I may have to start using that stuff....

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Frank, I'd give that NXT a good run for it's money, my girl Cathy uses it on her CS Z and loves it...It's a polymer so it should last a lot longer than the carnubas do. I hope to be able to park my Z for the winter but we have not purchased a winter car for me, so blizzaks sit in the basement on stock rims just in case. Plus we have no garage so she is going to be at the mercy of the elements till my neighbor leaves for the winter and we can get her in his garage. UGH can't wait till we can get the new abode built~

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Garage makes a big difference. wife got rid of her 3 series convertible this year, so I got the garage for the Z!! the Z stays nice for days (when not raining!).

anyway - what was your process with the blackfire for each coat. they have lots of options like Zaino.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is what I use.

Before you start your application I recommed that you use a claybar. I bought the blackfire poly clay II kit that has 2 claybars and the clay lube. Follow the directions, start w/ dawn wash (to get off any wax previously applied). Claybar, wiping off residue w/ microfiber towel. Wash w/ blackfire shampoo. I bought the blackfire "new car kit" too. Then use blackfire gloss enhancing polish ( like a cleaner wax but it's polymer) After that add as many layers of the blackfire all finish paint protection as you want (this is the final sealant where you can layer it as much as you want) To use as a daily spritzer and quick detailer use the deep gloss spray.

For reference in usage, the polyclay II kit lasted a year, one clay in the spring and one in the fall. I have enought clay lube to last me another year. The gloss enhancing polish (cleaner) is 1/2 full and has lasted me 2 years so I figure it will ultimatley last 4 years. The All finish paint protection has lasted 2 years and is almost done so I guess usage is 2 years (if you are as obsessed as I am). I have bought 4 bottles of the deep gloss spray but I use it almost daily so guage your usage on that. I think the money invested is WELL worth the outcome....at first it seems quite a hit in the pocket but when you don't have to purchase it that often it levels out in my *mind* *justifying my detailing habit to myself*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts