Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:irock:

Got my Hotchkis swaybars installed this Sat.!

While I was under the car, I noticed two balding rear tires.....which led to a sideways incident on a freeway onramp during 'testing'.

:headshake: Wifey had a cow...I kinda don't blame her. I went & ordered two Pilot Sports, so I can do some real testing on a nice mountain road on Friday, when I go upstate to visit a client. Don't want to end up sideways in a ravine, tho! :rolf2: Wifey won't be going, but I promise to be more careful... :shiftdrive:

Install was simple & straightforward. Drove the car up on 2x4 blocks to get the floorjack under it. Then zipped off the diffuser & the stock bar...(nice to have airtools in the garage...) & popped the new one in place. Then, the same thing at the back of the car...The rear barwent right over the stock exhaust, no problem....

1st impression is that on med./med. setting the front end of the car is much more compliant. But that won't stop the rear from comin around to meet you, if you're ridin on baldies.

I used 1 1/4 heater hose & heavy duty clamps to hold the front in place....we'll see how that holds up....onlu cost about $2.79, tho...

No pix as home PC is currently taking a dirtnap :xZ!o:

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you still want a nice rotation but to be a little more safe I would recommend full stiff on the Front and keeping medium on the rear. I've run this set up on streets and track and its neutral/slight rotation without losing the rear uncontrollably with VDC off.

Also why the heater hose? I'm lost on what thats for?

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Originally posted by philosophy@Aug 30 2005, 11:00 AM
If you still want a nice rotation but to be a little more safe I would recommend full stiff on the Front and keeping medium on the rear.  I've run this set up on streets and track and its neutral/slight rotation without losing the rear uncontrollably with VDC off.

[snapback]150680[/snapback]​

Its to keep the sways from sliding. Adds a little more grip to the clamps that hold the sway in place.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by philosophy@Aug 30 2005, 11:00 AM
If you still want a nice rotation but to be a little more safe I would recommend full stiff on the Front and keeping medium on the rear.  I've run this set up on streets and track and its neutral/slight rotation without losing the rear uncontrollably with VDC off.

[snapback]150680[/snapback]​

Was gonna change both to full next time I get under the car...but mebbe I'll give this a shot 1st & see how she does. Thx for the tip. :yourock:

Heater hose & clamps keep the bar from slipping side to side -as stated above. This was a cheaper, quicker fix than ordering the 'kit' that does the same thing. :irock:

& BTW I torqued 'em down good...no clicky wrench necessary for this install. Good lookin out, tho... :cheers:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
so what does increasing the front stiffness do? decrease oversteer?

Negative. If you increase the front stiffness, you will increase understeer. A car that tends towards understeer is better served with a less stiff front sway and a stiffer rear sway. Helps it turn in better.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Be careful with it on med/med. That's why I threw myself off a cliff. A little throttle and the rear end came out on me in 2nd, and I overcorrected twice before I went off the edge. I will be setting my rear on soft before I drive it hard again. I may try setting it hard/med first though.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
:OMG: just the thread I needed to be revived. I just got my hotchkis sways/springs. So what is the concensus on the settings? I doubt we will get them installed before spring comes round, but best to start talking now so I have a game plan.

And b/c I am a :newbie: to the whole suspension thang, someone tell me what the difft settings will do up front and in the rear. I plan on tracking her here and there next season on the road course, but mainly a DD (let's throw the dragon in there too lol :lol: don't need no stinking side trip there :lol: )

Logistics anyone?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to go stiff frnt/med. rear... (as per 'Jet" above...soon as I get under the car again...rear feels just a little sketchy on the med/med setting.

The track will tell you what to set your car at...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts