Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone freaks, I'm gonna do this on my Kia daily driver to practice first. Its got easy angled windows, so shouldn't be much of a problem.

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice or even better, a How-To for self tinting. It's a helluva lot cheaper than goin somewhere to have it doen. Plus I've done vinyl work, so I'm thinkin it's probably the same theory. Can someone shed some light (no pun intended) on tinting?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
i tried and failed horribly. The hard part is not creasing the tint. At tint shops, they use a huge plexiglass panel on the wall to iron it out and peel it apart. I dont see any other way.

Tint is cheap, but i went through 3 rolls and never got a piece on the car! LOL

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by TOYKILLA@Sep 22 2005, 08:27 AM
i tried and failed horribly. The hard part is not creasing the tint. At tint shops, they use a huge plexiglass panel on the wall to iron it out and peel it apart. I dont see any other way.

[snapback]157262[/snapback]​

Haha, sounds like its pretty difficult. You mean, it was hard to separate the film from the backing? I was thinkin I could cut approximate areas for each window, then apply and shave with a razor.

No one on this forum works in a speed shop? Anyone with first hand experience (before I go through three rolls also lol)?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Originally posted by Jetpilot718+Sep 22 2005, 09:03 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TOYKILLA
@Sep 22 2005, 08:27 AM

[snapback]157262[/snapback]​

Haha, sounds like its pretty difficult. You mean, it was hard to separate the film from the backing? I was thinkin I could cut approximate areas for each window, then apply and shave with a razor.

No one on this forum works in a speed shop? Anyone with first hand experience (before I go through three rolls also lol)?
[snapback]157273[/snapback]​

i was able to cut it fine, but peeling it apart didnt work so well.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Its definitely a lot harder than it would seem. I did this on my friends old prelude which had fairly straight glass and it was a major PITA. Judging by the angles of the glass on the Z it's not something I would be doing myself. Keeping the tint from creasing is difficult as well as removing (and keeping out) all of the bubbles that you will get. The hatch will be especially hard since it is such a big piece and the strips they sell are worthless.

The basic theory of it is pretty easy... clean the windows really well first, squirt on some soapy water so that you are able to move the tint around once you place it down, square it up, make any final cuts, and squeegee out the water from behind it. A hair dryer can help to get out the bubbles as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I used to do this a bunch in highschool.

First I made a template of the shape of the window with some wax paper, or something similar, so you can accurately cut the tint ahead of time. You'll want to over compensate for the size of the window just a bit, to allow for error. If the window will still be in the car and it rolls down add just a bit more to the bottom edge as well, maybe 2cm.

The trick for getting it not to crease, I found, is mixing some dish soap in with the water you spray on the window. Then use a squeegee (sp?) to smooth it out, you should have plenty of time to compensate for any mistakes or even remove it without too much hassle. Be sure to get the extra tint on the bottom below the sill, you can do this with a q-tip or popsicle stick, obviously the soapy water should be below the sill line as well. This edge doesn't need to be straight since no one will see it. Remember tint can tear easily and you don't want it hitting the sill every time you roll the window up or down. For windows that are not straight, instead of a squeegee, use a soft sponge, don't press to hard but it should make it form to the window a bit better. If you have problems with extremely curved windows, you might have to use less soapy water and go with nearly plain water, to get it to stick. If that is your situation, might be a bit of trial and error. Curved windows are the harder, but by no means undo-able. Air bubbles will not be tolerated.

When the tint is on the way you want it, using a razor cut a straight 5mm gap or so away from the edge of the window. Then with some clear nail polish seal the tint down by carefully going around the edge of the tint, no need to over do it. For windows that do not move there is usually a black lining around the outside, you should cut the tint just a bit over the black and apply the clear nail polish over the black. Having windows that roll up and down off the car make the process easier, and will be less likely tear around the sill. I never had the ambition to take out the window myself.

It wont be professional but unless you really look hard you wont be able to tell, and it can save you a whole bunch of money.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Have it done for you. Trust me. It's like trying to tape sheet rock. Accept it and pay it. :cheers:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did my own windows on my Lexus IS. The trick is patience. It's more tedious and
stressful than difficult. Cut out the tint to window size but leave a little extra on the bottom
so that you can slide it down into the bottom lips of the window. use lots of water between the
tint and the window so that it can slide freely so that you can position the tint easier.
use a credit card and slide it against the tint to squeeze out the water until no air bubbles
are left. I succeeded on my first attempt, looks as good as bringing it in to be done. However,
it is a pain and bringing it in is your best bet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
IF you do this yourself, remember the Z has this thing in the wondows that roll down a little bit when the doors are open, which will screw up your tint install. Make sure you close the doors, then disconnect the negative (-) terminal on the battery. That way, when you open the doors to start working, the windows will have stayed up all the way.

·
Registered
99 Posts
:nana: I was gonna do my own tint but from past experience all tint ive done on my own turns purple(dont know which one to but.. So i went to custom sounds a pro shop in san antonio and got a good deal. 180 w/ life time warranty. silverish tint on a silver car looks nice.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Have it done for you. Trust me. It's like trying to tape sheet rock. Accept it and pay it.
Taping sheet rock? Mannn. Can do THAT in my sleep! :p

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Mannn - I wish I could do everything. :doh:

I feel so inadequate. :rolf2:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ hehe

I ended up being lazy and not trying it on the Kia. Gonna wait until I get the A4 to try it on, that way if it comes out good I'll be keepin the Audi. The Kia's gettin sold, so if it came out good I'd be pissed.

I got to watch it done on a car. What the guy did was spray the OUTSIDE of the window, lay the tint, and cut it to fit. Then, reapply to the inside of the window. Perfect fit.

The rear window came in three pieces. Top piece, middle and bottom - same process. Looks pretty easy to do that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
good word of advise...since you live in nyc take the trip to jersey and go to a place called tropic tint in union...that is the only place I would ever take a car...I used to work for a very high end shop and we would send all of our labos and porshes etc to this place.. they will prolly charge you around 200$ for your z, i got my last one done there for around that price and it was PERFECT...and they have a lifetime warrenty..hope this helps. their # is 908 688 8705

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yep...I had mine professionally done through my dealership for about $200. I think they sent it off site, but they did a nice job. It was part of the "Desert package" that they put on cars to keep out the harsh sun in Las Vegas. Tinting is definitely one thing I would not live without. Happy tinting!

·
Registered
286 Posts
For $200 it's a no-brainer. Let the pros do it. Sounds like there is at least $400 worth of aggravation to try it yourself.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, old post!

Well I havnt tried it, been toooo busy with work and stuff. But yeah, thanks for the tip. I've been kickin it around for a while now. The Z is black, think tints would be too much black?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.