Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
QUOTE (NoZYet @ Jun 21 2009, 05:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=578717
How about in common with the Ferrari F430? I wouldn't mind a rev happy V8. Honestly, I'd prefer it to a FI Z. If it will allow more power, for not much more money, maybe it's the way to go. While a lot of people mention the TT Z's of the past, they're talking about a few trim levels of the 300ZX, most, or all of the early Z's were N/A engines.

~Pat
Well, yeah, that would be another story! I doubt however, that Nissan will produce a V8 that is on par with that engine! It would be awesome though! :wub:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm not saying that they would either, those engines are more than a Z, just saying V8's aren't the antichrist. I'm curious if a similar displacement (<= 4L) could produce more power than a similar V6, my guess is it wouldn't. I'd love a small 8+ engine, like the old school sports cars.

~Pat

·
Registered
246 Posts
QUOTE (antennahead @ Jun 18 2009, 09:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=578574
That's your opinion, having owned a 2006 350, and now a 370, you are completely wrong, as far as comparing stock to stock. The 350 was a great car, the 370 betters it in handling and performance, and has a better fit and finish. As far as the styling goes, that will always be subjective, many see the new look as aggressive and progressive..... but then most 350 owners tend to just bash it.

John
Yeah...we all have our opinion. But that's what these forums are for. What you are saying is your opinion, so somebody can come along and disagree with you, too. How do you like the oil temp in place of an oil pressure gauge or the computer thingy next to the side window? I believe if you want to know how your engine coolant is doing you need to look at how many dots the LCD displays. How about the analog speedometer (no more digital)? Or the dedicated clock in one of the three dash instruments (I think there's already a clock on the CD player...and maybe on your wrist, too)? It's these things on the inside and the busy look of the exterior that lost my attraction.

I agree the interior materials are an upgrade but for the rest I think it's really not much to jump up and down about. I love my car and glad you love yours. In the end that's all that matters.

·
4,328 Posts
There will always be speculation about the future direction a car model may go in. As far as NA 6 cylinder engines go, I think the Z may go as far as 4.2L (420Z), but I really can't see it going much further. 2.6-3.2L is generally the sweet spot for weight, effeciency and power production of a 6 pot motor. Larger displacement sixes tend to have poor geometries (bore/stroke ratio, rod length, rod angle, etc) that tend not support high performacne.

I think Nissan's hand will be tipped on the matter in the next generation or two. Either they will make a return to forced induction, step up to a V8, or seriously downsize (weight reduction) the car. Based on Nissan's sense of tradition, we will most likely see option 1 or 3 put into play. But then again, if the sports car market softens drastically due to the global economic situation, we may see an extended 370Z production cycle (longer than 6 years) or they may take a break like they did between the Z32 and Z33.

2 Cents
Ronin Z

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
@ cartracer12 & forum:

This is soley my opinion, nothing more than what I've seen in trends in the automotive world.

Engine sizes will level out and car companies will quit making these ginormous engines. You are right, the current trend will prove a 2042 Nissan will debute a 870z that has 10zillion horsepower and 8zillion torque...I think it will be the opposite...year after year, engines will create the same or more power with progressively smaller engines.

Car companies will start making cars lighter, stronger and more efficient. More titanium, more structural carbon fiber and practically every engine that comes off the factory will be supercharged or turbocharged to take advantage of unrecognized power gains. Engines will be built to withstand 30psi by using top-shelf internals, sleeved blocks, air to air intercoolers and better engine management programs. Fuel will be refined and formulated to create these projected power gains.

This is something that each one of us has already acknowledged:

you don't need 8 cylinders nor 6 liters to create 500horsepower...

The best part, when this all goes down in 2 decades or so, we were far beyond its time...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I went to a dealer today and checked out a black 370. As soon as I saw it my feelings from photos were confirmed. If you have a recent 350...the 370 just isn't worth it unless you have money to burn.
I like both bodies and love the Z, but the 370 for me is better looking than the 350, chunkier, more aggressive, more attractive, commands greater presence. It's a more serious package. I've driven one and it is very tight. The interior is much better as well. I don't understand the side-taking from the 350 people over the 370. Whereas I'd not complain about a 350 were I to have one, I'd grab the 370 in a New York minute, esp the Nismo edition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I personally feel that 350Z is one of the best looking car of Nissan.It was a totally fresh looking car with fresh technology when it came in 2002-03.After than 370z came which was more better than 350z.Yes i think they go for 390z and many more .Perhaps the 390Z would be nice if it took the 370Zs lines but incorporated aggressive 350Z grille.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
QUOTE (cartracer12 @ Jan 26 2009, 01:13 PM)

easy, as noted above they could go the FI route--like audi dropping from the 4.2V8 (terrible idea, anyways, for the amt of power it had for the S4's weight, IMO) to go to a supercharged six cylinder.

****, I'd be okay with a fairly large turbo'd four banger--help with weight distribution
BMW also did it with the M5 I believe...

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Im hoping for a 400zx TT!!!!!
I would love to represent the wonderful turbo years of the Z's of the past.
all IMO...

I would love to see a 4 liter TT. But realistically, this is 15years before it's time and way out of the grand scheme of nissan...with the GTR already in place it'd be a conflict of internal interest (meaning it would overlap performance criteria between the Z & GTR) ... car companies are lucky enough to have 1 mainstream sports car, let alone 2, let alone 2 that are near equivilent.

Think SS camaro & Z71 Corvette, Mustang GT500 & Ford GT, Dodge challenger SRT & Dodge Viper,

I would think a 4liter TT would make 510hp (if you proportion it directly to a GTR). Yeah, they could tune it down...which japanese companies are known for...(the 3liter nsx, supra, 300zx...etc - of course theyre all victims of the 300hp gentlemens agreement)

I posted earlier about smaller engines with equal outputs...I won't rant over again...

I would love to see them bring back the 240z, make it **** near the same size, make it weigh 2200lbs...2.395liter engine that runs up to 11k rpm with a 18psi single turbo making 400whp and doing 0-60 in 3.9 seconds getting 45mpg (highway with a very stout 6th gear - ****, since were dreaming here, make it an 8th gear...which might be required with such a small engine/rear diff) and costing $25k. Gotta love nissan...)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I figure that Nissan's next Z will be in the 400-420 HP range. It can't come too close to the GTR but it has to be competitive against cars like the new 5.0 Mustang. To me, that either points to a small V8 (4.0 or 4.2) or something smaller with twins. I'm not sure which it will be but I think Nissan's sense of tradition coupled with fuel economy concerns will push them towards building a direct injected, 6-cylinder, twin turbo 3.X L. Either of the options above require the development of a completely new power plant and a 3.X L TT could replace the VK56 in other vehicles like the Infiniti M and QX so that is another reason that a small V8 seems unlikely. I'm thinking something like a VR35DETT.

Alternatively, Nissan could take the easy route, throw tradition out the window, and slap the VK56 in there.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I figure that Nissan's next Z will be in the 400-420 HP range. It can't come too close to the GTR but it has to be competitive against cars like the new 5.0 Mustang. To me, that either points to a small V8 (4.0 or 4.2) or something smaller with twins. I'm not sure which it will be but I think Nissan's sense of tradition coupled with fuel economy concerns will push them towards building a direct injected, 6-cylinder, twin turbo 3.X L. Either of the options above require the development of a completely new power plant and a 3.X L TT could replace the VK56 in other vehicles like the Infiniti M and QX so that is another reason that a small V8 seems unlikely. I'm thinking something like a VR35DETT.

Alternatively, Nissan could take the easy route, throw tradition out the window, and slap the VK56 in there.
Partially agreed drm, but do you think they'll compete by means of making a bigger, louder, more obnoxious engine?? - IMO I think it'll be a smaller, lighter, faster more efficient overall machine. There is a 3600lbs 300zx tt t top - but for the arguement, the 300zx was around 3500lbs, while the 350 comes in in the 3300lbs and the 370 is 3200 lbs. I think you start comparing power to weight and nissan will edge out the competition simply by cutting weight...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
There's no doubt in my mind that ALL sports cars will begin to get lighter. Making a car lighter is a benefit in EVERY way (unless it makes the chassis weaker) but that's not gonna cut it. More horsepower is going to be required. I don't see Nissan building another, bigger NA V6. It'll either be a smaller FI 6-cylinder (inline please, please please! think RB26 but with more displacement) or a small V8 IMO. I think due to fuel economy considerations and Nissan's sense of tradition, a V8 is unlikely. Also, an FI 6-cylinder would be a flexible powerplant for use in a lot of Nissan's cars that would up their fleet fuel economy average.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I don't know how they're going to make sports car lighter when more technology is going into them to make it luxurious. Also, the cost of CF and light weight composites will make the car too expensive, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I agree that cars will keep getting more powerful (although I would question if it's really necessary). I kinda doubt we'll see another I-6 any time soon, from a packaging, and I believe emissions, standpoint, they don't make a lot of sense. I definitely think the cast iron bullet proof block days are gone.

Based on fleet average requirements and other driving forces, I suspect that the era of hybrid sports cars is just about here, and I hope Nissan gets there first. I'm not a huge fan of battery electrics, but the mix of reduced fuel consumption and improved low end torque make for an attractive pair. Porsche is going there hardcore, and I suspect others will follow suit. (I think Toyota should have kicked theirs off with a hybrid MR2).

I love small cars, I'd give anything for an Exige or Boxster Roadster. The exotics will lose weight (they'll have to in order to comply with regulations), which is easy because $50k in composites and aluminum is easy on a quarter million dollar car. Car companies will cut weight where economically feasible, and I suspect that the rate that cars gain weight at will slow, but I doubt stripped out sports cars are the future. Americans simply don't buy them.

~Pat

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I just had a funny idea of stripping my 260 out hardcore and putting in a hybrid, sporty engine.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts