Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exhibit 1

As we all know, MSNBC hosted the first Republican debate of the '08 cycle at the Reagan presidential library Thursday night. They also set up a poll at their website to rate the candidates.
They are now interpreting their results to tell us that Romney "won". But according to the results, he didn't. Why are they intentionally mis-representing their own results?

Exhibit A: The polling results before the debate:

As you can see, even though this poll is unscientific, it does mimic the popular opinion going into the debate. Giuliani leading, McCain second, and Romney third. The rest of the candidates are lost in the background noise. This indicates that the polling is reasonably indicative of the MSNBC viewers.

Exhibit B: The polling results after the debate

Very clearly (with 77,000 respondents thus far) Mitt Romney did very well, but he came in a distant second to Ron Paul. Furthermore...

Exhibit C: The viewers rate the six attributes that determine the victor

Again, Romney did pretty well, but not nearly as well as Paul.

So naturally, if MSNBC is going to point to these results to declare a winner, they're going to point to Paul, right?

Wrong.

In fact, if you troll through the MSNBC debates section, there is no mention whatsoever of Ron Paul's apparent victory at the debate. There's no mention of Ron Paul whatsoever!
The respondents are clearly perturbed about this fact on their message board.

Throughout their televised "analysis" yesterday (yeah, I watched), they mentioned Ron Paul 3 times by my count, and only admitted that he actually won according to their poll once. Not incidentally, they also chose that moment to state that their polling was unscientific. In addition, the few times they did mention him, they framed it as
#1) He did "pretty well"
and
#2) "He can't win".

So all this begs the question: If their polling indicates that Paul actually won the debate, why can't they just cover the news as it is? Very likely, he can't win, but why crown a false victor in their coverage? Why not simply report the results as they are; cover the story as it appears?

It's very evident that MSNBC doesn't want to give Ron Paul any press. Why not? They know that the two things that will kill a campaign are

• the collective belief that a candidate "can't win"
  • lack of recognition
They are clearly attempting to use their influence to alter the results of the Republican primary process.

Why? I mean, if the Republicans happen to nominate a candidate who "can't win", isn't that good news for Dems? This also raises more questions: How are they interfering in the Democratic primary process through their intentionally skewed and selective coverage? What's in it for them?

And most importantly: Why are we allowing them to get away with it?

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
I don't get what is so hard about winning the republican nomination.
1. Just keep telling people we have a liberal conspiracy in this country to take their firearms away, and you are the only person who can stop them.
2. Also tell them of the Liberal conspiracy to kill unborn babies by the thousands, and only you can stop them.
3. Tell them that unless you are elected those homosexuals will take over the country.
These three points seem to work pretty well, just try to stay away from topics such as the deficit, education, and anything that anyone with common sense might call you out on.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is just one example. It is pretty much the same on all the main stream media. Ignoring the one candidate that stands out from the pack.

·
4,328 Posts
This is just one example. It is pretty much the same on all the main stream media. Ignoring the one candidate that stands out from the pack.
I don't have a simple answer. What the media does and doesn't do has never made much sense to me. There are liberal and conservative news sites all over the internet that put their own spin on every story to come along. I can respect those sites because their bias is stated from the beginning. You know their agenda from the get go. With the mass press, I really have no clue what they are trying to do.

On the flip side, look at Sen. Barack Obama. He was a front runner for the Democratic ticket before the first poll was ever taken. **** he was a front runner before he even announced he was running. How did we know? The media told us, that's how.

Ron Paul is a nobody on the national stage. So when a dark horse comes along and does well for himself it's easier just to write it off as an anomaly. Maybe if he continues to do well, then maybe he can get a little momentum going and the press won't be able to ignore him.

Who knows? We have how long exactly before the elections?

Ronin Z

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
what? I saw "outed" in the title and thought.. is he gay?

then I thought... Ru Paul isnt a Republican... well u never know ;)

I have no clue who Ron Paul is.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
So you admit you dont even know who is running on your ticket? =)
No, I didnt say I dont know who is running on the ticket. I just dont know anything about Ron Paul. I DO however know Ru Paul ;)

It seems incredibly early to be getting serious about these guys.

I have confidence that primary voters are a slightly different breed and will be more informed than your average voter. Sadly Texas primaries are meaningless so I don't feel like I have a voice in all of this.

On top of that, let's face it, we all know what it takes to make it onto the national stage. If this guy didn't distinguish himself over the last few years then he better get out there and make himself known.

I'm for Giuliani. I have no problems with his views or his family history. I'm not gonna lie, if someone better comes along but doesn't have the political weight to successfully challenge a Dem then I'm going to vote for the one that can win.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
So you admit you dont even know who is running on your ticket? =)
I have no idea who he is. He has no chance of winning the nomination. I can't possibly know everything about all 10 candidates. The ones I feel have an actual chance are the ones who I concentrate on and their positions.

You mean to tell me you know every position and opinion of the "dentist"?

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
I have no idea who he is. He has no chance of winning the nomination. I can't possibly know everything about all 10 candidates. The ones I feel have an actual chance are the ones who I concentrate on and their positions.

You mean to tell me you know every position and opinion of the "dentist"?

This is what republicans do when they cannot argue with you intelligently; they resort to name calling or making fun of something.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Know what is this? Iknow you are but what am I?
So because some hippy that probably owns 5 Chea Guerva t-shirts goes to extremes, or does something stupid it is okay for you?
Just pointing out the other side of your arguement. point, counterpoint.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Just pointing out the other side of your arguement. point, counterpoint.
So I say you are being ridiculous, and you point out that other people are to so that's today. That’s the other side of my argument? That's point counter point? Man!

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
So I say you are being ridiculous, and you point out that other people are to so that's today. That's the other side of my argument? That's point counter point? Man!
When I posted the pic I was countering your blanket statement with a blanket statment of my own. Simply illustrating that both sides call names.

You make a point... I make a counterpoint. And this will go on until the Sun expands and envelopes the Earth... actually our Galaxy will collide with the Andromeda Galaxy before our sun starts the process of fusing heavier atoms, thus expanding to destory the earth.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
So I say you are being ridiculous, and you point out that other people are to so that's today. That's the other side of my argument? That's point counter point? Man!
A little bit about me: I was a “Protest Warrior” during the last campaign. I've faced down liberal protesters and true-blue anarchists, face-to-face, at protests and political events. I've been alone on a sidewalk holding a “Support our Troops” sign as a group of protesters tell me, “the Police aren't here to protect you today”. I'm not afraid to get into the thick of things.

Now, I am in no way equating you to any of that type of activity. I'm just saying that we are both strong willed ppl and were gonna argue, so don't let it get to you.

I'll boil it down a little further. We're never going to see eye to eye on most things so we may as well try to have a little fun in here. Things will get heated but its no big deal. At the end of the day if we were to meet some Saturday afternoon at a Z gtg and had no clue of our political affiliations we would both be smiling, laughing and admiring our awesome rides. We are just two different ppl that happen to have one very wonderful thing in common, a sexy car!

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
A little bit about me: I was a “Protest Warrior” during the last campaign. I've faced down liberal protesters and true-blue anarchists, face-to-face, at protests and political events. I've been alone on a sidewalk holding a “Support our Troops” sign as a group of protesters tell me, “the Police aren't here to protect you today”. I'm not afraid to get into thick of things.

Now, I am in no way equating you to any of that type of activity. I'm just saying that we are both strong willed ppl and were gonna argue, so don't let it get to you.

I'll boil it down a little further. We're never going to see eye to eye on most things so we may as well try to have a little fun in here. Things will get heated but its no big deal. At the end of the day if we were to meet some Saturday afternoon at a Z gtg and had no clue of our political affiliations we both would be smiling laughing and admiring our awesome rides. We are just two different ppl that happen to have one very wonderful thing in common, a sexy car!
My point is your not making any counter point at all (at least not a relevant one). I made a point about a specific poster and how he acts very much like most republican when faced with an argument. And your counter point was a hippy with a sign? What does that have to do with what I am saying. ****, I am not even a registered Democrat, in fact I think the Dems. Have it wrong on a lot of issues. I believe in fiscal conservatism, and as free markets as can be safely tolerated. I just have not seen that out of the elephants in years, in fact quit the opposite. I just think it is funny the way the Republicans argue on this forum. It seems like Josh or Ronin will make a good point about something and the dido heads come out with goofy pictures or ridicules statements that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
My point is your not making any counter point at all (at least not a relevant one). I made a point about a specific poster and how he acts very much like most republican when faced with an argument. And your counter point was a hippy with a sign? What does that have to do with what I am saying.
You positioned your post as if only republicans call names. So I had to deconstruct that assertion.

The picture illustrates that both sides call each other names.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts