Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Z-Tune R34 from Nismo, I feel they have really let us down. Now I know that the Z does not come with Turbos so that put some limits on the car, but come on.. The s-tune z33 is like a geo metro when compared to the z-tune r34.

I have held out long enough. Nismo, why have you forsaken us?

·
Registered
305 Posts
well considering how long the R34 have been out and how long the z has been out that will prolly be your answer time will bring new achievments in tech and productions

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would think 4 model years would be sufficient time to get a little more power out of the engine than they have done so far.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Its like they started over with the 350. Its like the 240 priced to compete and be there with better cars. Soon enough the Z will out price itself just like the 300zx tt did

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
without forced induction, the z doesnt have a chance for much more than stock numbers. Nismo knows this. Nissan already has superchargers in some of their cars. Nismo could easily take it and use it .

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
They could but that would put it out of reach for some of their customers. And if they made a FI model like they did with the Z32 tt and na it would just be gay. Its like having a V6 mustang and a V8 version.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I don't think financially Nissan would like any exposure such as waranteeing FI cars. This is why most Nissans are NA. As it is, Renault owns Nissan. Usually, the answer to 99/100 questions is "money".

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My car is fun to drive, nice looking, reliable.....

I don't feel forsaken.

Nissan has maxed out the vq33de....several aspects of the engine design were geared more to emission than performance. With enthusiasts wanting to push even more our of the motor, well, you know...

I thought about this before I bought, decided Z33 was 'enough for me'...I mean, we all coulda bought that f/i ricebox with the $$ we spent on our 33's.... So....there must be some other considerations involved here besides easy ways to maximize HP...

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
Seems that's one area Nissan does need to work on. Toyota and especially Honda have been quite successful with their after-market programs.Mopar, SVO on the domestic side are really good. As far as pushing a NA motor, some of the sports car mags have been able to get over 300hp out of the Z, as well as setting up one that can pull 1G. However, most didn't use NISMO parts to get these numbers.

A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aloha,
Seems that's one area Nissan does need to work on. Toyota and especially Honda have been quite successful with their after-market programs.Mopar, SVO on the domestic side are really good. As far as pushing a NA motor, some of the sports car mags have been able to get over 300hp out of the Z, as well as setting up one that can pull 1G. However, most didn't use NISMO parts to get these numbers.

A Hui Hou

PaulO
Exactly. I am talking about aftermarket support, directly from Nissan Motorsports (Nismo).

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say it again...

Nismo MUST comply with Nissan OEM rules and regulations. (as far as the Z33 goes).

Nismo is their own company. There are many reasons why they will NOT ever release a FI kit for the Z. The VQ was not made for it for starters.

The R34 Z tune makes just about any car look like a geo metro.. Let's not bash what they did with the S concept. You can get 350whp out of it. Trouble is nobody wants to spend the cheese to do it. I'd say that's a bit more than stock numbers, eh? :)

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
lol.. look at home much a R34 Z tune costs.. and how many are made. :)

What exactly do you expect Nismo to do? They must comply with OEM regulations.. and it's not like the VQ loves boost..

I really don't believe Nismo has "failed". They only have what they have to work with.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
hang in there killa, FI will get u more power out of the motor.
but when stayin N/A you will always max out on hp when you dont touch the head or try cams. the head and the cams are the key to making more power. i dont know how well the head is designed from the factory so this is one aspect that needs more research. the cams control how much air the head will flow. you already know this and blah blah blah. so here is a link to a manufacturer i am keeping an eye on.

www.skunk2.com

All I'm gonna say is if they can't do it, nobody can.
hopefully the z will benifit just like honda did.

they are developing cams right now, and i'm sure they will have a project car if it works out. just wait and see.

if not i'm keeping my Z anyway itll be paid of in 5 years and then i will own it forever. then i'll buy another car.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
wow.

there are quite a few companies that makes camshafts for the VQ.

if skunk can't do it , nobody can? Why is this? What are you expecting Skunk to do that another camshaft company already isn't doing? Except for maybe a cheaper camshaft.

I know you mentioned before that you haven't heard of Tomei or Esprit, but those are just a few that have been doing it for yeeeeeaaaarrrrssss.

What about Nismo? They have I believe 3 variations out now. And you can always buy blanks also if you want to do something that isn't offered... But like I say... it's nothing, a half dozen companies aren't already doing. :dunno:

But, if you like Skunk, that cool. I just don't see why you are thinking that if they can't do it, nobody can. Because plenty already are doint it.

Peace.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
relax bro.

the main point is that no more power can be gained unless you modify the head if it even needs it, and cams, then tuning. compression is already high enough with out using race gas.
for N/A these are the only way to go righ now unless someone finds an inexpensive way to increase displacement.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
www.skunk2.com

take a minute and just look at the website.

Tehey offer everything. cams, built blocks, heads, intake plenums, retainers, valvesprings, ect. i'm only trying to convince people to simply check it out.

if they don't come thru i'll be a good sport and let you say "i told u so"

all I know is i got really good results from my honda and expect no less from them when it comes to the Z. **** if they don't deliver i wont be buying from them anyway. nobody can say yet.

there shop is in norco. about 26 miles from where i live. when i get a minute (single dad here) I will drive over there and ask them about what plans they have for the Z.

Any questions you guys want me to ask them.

I'll tell them about the forum also, maybe get more support on the plenum they released, since a few people had issues with it already.

let me know

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
to ills
when i said if they cant do it nobody can, i meant make more power.

reliability may be an isue here. I read the JWT cams that make like 16hp to the wheels needs an idle adjustment, didnt say that runs rough.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
relax bro.

the main point is that no more power can be gained unless you modify the head if it even needs it, and cams, then tuning. compression is already high enough with out using race gas.
for N/A these are the only way to go righ now unless someone finds an inexpensive way to increase displacement.
That shouldn't come as a surprise that no more power can be had out of an N/A application, without going with the above. Natural steps.

It's not a big deal really. Tuning should be done no matter if you want to just do some bolt ons , or cams and headwork. That's no secret. With something like the UTEC, they got 270whp or so with just bolt ons. Let alone upwards of 340whp for the spec 1 or 2 heads from Nismo... So power can be made. Tuning, cams or headwork is just the natural step.

But why is your estimation of Skunk so great? That is what I'm asking. I just don't understand. Nobody's camshaft is going to make any more power than the next, unless it's something wild. There is already a great selection.

"I told you so" ?? I'm not saying that you are wrong for wanting to use Skunk. I just don't know why you are saying that if Skunk can't do it, nobody can. It's a mechanical part. You aren't going to get much variation, from one company's cams over the other. It's about the profile of the cam, and the lift. You can find that just about anywhere, not just from Tomei, Skunk, JWT or Nismo...

The part that is going to set you apart from the next guy... is going to be the TUNING.

You are asking me to chill.. When all I'm doing is asking you why you like Skunk SOOOO much over brands that have nothing to prove. It's comical. If you like them, that's awesome.. But it seems that Skunk is the holy grail among camshafts..

You have to tune whatever you have... If JWT cams only require a slight increase in idle, so be it. If you want power, with any part, you are going to see better results from tuning it. And tuning it well. The better the tool you buy to tune it, the better chance you have to tune it well.

This isn't a personal attack against you or anything like that. What it is however, is an attemp to show you the bigger picture here. No snake oil, no secrets.

Again, why do you believe a skunk camshaft will make more power than the next brand? Some sort of logical proof. Not that their website looks good, or they have a cool logo. :) But some sort of factual proof that their grinds are better than the next guy. If someone was to make more power with skunk; than more than likely it would be because of the state of tune. Not because of some magical quality of the camshaft. :cheers:

The cool thing about the Skunk camshaft would be this:

* the quality is good like you say, than it's another company to choose from. If they are close to your house; than chances the stock should be good. That's it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
it seems to me that the reason the platform has been disappointing for us is that here in the US the 350z is the nissan benchmark whereas in japan the gtr skyline is.. and i'm not so sure that nissan is entirely focused on making a stand out bulletproof automobile. i think what they have done in hope of that is produced skylines in japan that are borderline untouchable by production factory standards. and with the release of the proto here in 07 all efforts are going into marketing, publicity, etc to make it a huge success. we here in the us would love to see more for the z in terms of factory power presence because its what we have to work with. and of course we all want more.
mdzowner

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
hey illz
the reason i like ski=unk so much is because i went through 3 sets of cams in my honda. GUDE(bullfrog perf., JGengine dynamics, and stock integra type r cams.
the stock integra cams made the most power of all these cams. about 7hp.
then i switched to skunk2 stage 2 cam and got 21hp to the wheels.

So i have had good experience with these cams.

stage 3 was a rediculously wild cam that was not even streetable at all.
only people with standalone feul managment used these.

i just have hopes that they can do the same for the z.

They even started a line for the subaru wrx and sti models.

maybe i could score some cams from these guys

1 - 20 of 23 Posts