Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going to Phillip Island on the 11th of December. It'll be the last track-day for the year as not much will happen afterwards until about February. Anyway, it's organized by the Alfa-club, and as everyone who came to Sandown last time knows - they run incredibly well organized days.

The cost is $160 (which is normal for the Island) as long as you pay before the 25th of November. After 25/11 it'll be $180. Also you'll need CAMS L2S license, car-club membership, extinguisher and a helmet (ie. standard track stuff). So who's interested in coming? It'll be my 1st time there with the Zed ... come to think of it, it'll be my 1st time there in about 2 years.

The entry form has been released just today, and you can get it right here:

Phillip Island 11/12/05 entry form (AROCA)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi David, I am thinking about it. You know how much I love Phillip Island. I'll let you know in the next week or so if I can make it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
hmmm...its tempting. but after nissan replaced my syncros, i dont know how much more punishment my 350 would take if i go out on the circuit again. anyhow ive got till the 25th to decide. if i can be convinced...hehe

cheers
owen

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but after nissan replaced my syncros, i dont know how much more punishment my 350 would take if i go out on the circuit again.

My car goes to the track often, and I have no problems at all with my synchros. I'd say that your problems before were not track related and now that you've got it fixed you should be fine. If you're ghoing to have problems then you'll have them on the road as well so you might as well put the new synchros to the test.

So come along Owen ... you'll have a ball.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
found the thread :p

Btw how long is the drive again to Phillip Island?

Same distance to Winton?

Also is there any map for the track?

I might be interested to try.

If more people coming i would want to go :) More Z more fun hehehe.

Edit: Ok just had alook at the Track. Looks like a Combo of Sandown and Winton. Can be Very dangerous track? High speed plus tight cornering. I guess the Brake is Super Crucial in here?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Btw how long is the drive again to Phillip Island

Maybe 1 hour drive? It's not even comparable to Winton in terms of distance ... it's ~80km from Melbourne if I remember correctly.

might be interested to try. If more people coming i would want to go More Z more fun hehehe.

Yeah, would be great to have you (or anyone else) there. It's in 2 weeks so get your entries in ASAP.

Edit: Ok just had alook at the Track. Looks like a Combo of Sandown and Winton. Can be Very dangerous track? High speed plus tight cornering.

Nah, it's nothig like either. Not many treacks around like PI ... it's very flowing ... and very fast. To give you an idea of speeds:
- On the main straight you'll be looking at around 230kph.
- Turn 1 is entered at ~140kph.
- Turn 2 is taken at ~100kph.
- Turn 3 can be taken flat out, and you'll hit ~180kph before you need to brake for turn 4.
- Turn 4 ~70kph
- Turn 6 ~95kph
- Turn 8 is almost flat out at ~140kph
- Turn 9 ~120kph
- Turn 10 ~70kph
- Turn 12 ~120kph and you enter the traight at ~140kph.

It's a long track where good lap-times are still over 2min and anything bellow 2:10 is respectable. IMHO, it's the track where you want to come off the least ... well at least in some spots like turn 1, 8, 9 or 12 ... that's where you're carrying a lot of speed and don't can't to come of. Though, it has plenty of run-off averywhere so anywhere else I would not worry about coming off.

I guess the Brake is Super Crucial in here?

Generaly speaking Sandown should be harder on the prakes than PI, but Winton should be the easiest. Though, at PI you do have to brake from ~230 to ~130kph on the main straight and that does gove the brakes a workout. Though, the track is so long that you don't use the brakes anywhere as often as on other tracks. At Winton you use brakes most often, even though they might be the 'lightest' stops.

Iggy has a few nice clips from there so maybe he'll poste them here so people can get a good look?

Also is there any map for the track?

here you go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
hmmm that's not so bad.

Would love to come hmmm.

I guess i'll come, but have to get the brakes sorted out as well too :)

will probably send in the form tomorrow :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dave, turn 1 is not 140km/h... more like 170+

The highest I got there in the ITR was just over 170 (kinda the limit). Also turn 9 is a bit quicker, around 130 I think.

I filmed my speedo once on the ITR around the track, so I'll try to find that. I am also having real trouble uploading files to the server.

I have a 2:01.05 lap in the ITR somewhere... will try to find it and post it.

Unfortunately I cannot come along as my car is in Sydney and it's my dad's birthday... next time tho! **** I miss PI - best track in Australia! Yun - go there just to get a feel for it, don't go too fast (you can still do 2:10 without pushing it) and trust me you will be HOOKED! :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
it is seems a Very long track and sounds fun.

We'll see first. If i'm going i'll fax my form in Today ;)

oh yeah this time the Alfa club no Passengers right?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm 50/50 whats the quickest way i can get my self a cams?
Also how can i get a simple bolt on fire extinguisher? Oh and a helmet?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
helmet u can just buy a Bike version probably cost about $220. Have to be Australian Design approved i think.

Fire extinguisher, it's either you put a plate behind the Passenger seat and bolt the exting there. or you can put near the Child seat Hook at the back (which is where mine is) You can install it anywhere in the car as you long you can reach it without getting off you seats. another things is the Fire extinquisher have to be CAM approved (mentioned in the box) as i got mine from bunnings for ~$40 or less.

Cams i think you just send in the form now (they can provide you temporary card) and plus you need to be a car club member too (which you can pay and ask for temporary letter stating you are the member and your card is coming soon, etc)

hope DavidM can add somemore.

cheers
Yun

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave, turn 1 is not 140km/h... more like 170+

Suse, probably when you want to dip bellow 2s. I don't think Yun (or I) will be doing that. I don't think I have entered it much quicker than 150kph before so we'll see how it feels. Though, I have had very little experience at PI so it'll be a learning experience for me as well.

hope DavidM can add somemore.

You're becoming an expert Yun ... I don't have much to add :) Though, check with the Alfa club as some clubs may be able to provide you with the licence on the day (ie. you fill in the form and pay right there and there). Speak to Neil Choi who's contact details will be in the form provided in the 1st link.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Well for more Information.

David I think you on your own :(

I just Called Neil they are full :(

Overbooked by 20 people :(

But oo well i guess i'll just do it sometimes next year :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
have fun to whoever is going to PI. unfortunately its that time of the year that i take off and go for a holiday. DavidM, i think i will be participating more with track events in the coming new year. so im looking forward to that. my car isnt really in the condition to drive at PI since i need new brake pads and rotors. im currently dedicating my resources for my overseas trip. but when i get home. i will be in the game to finally get some decents rotor upgrades and brakepards for the next track event.

cheers
owen

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
David I think you on your own :( I just Called Neil they are full :( Overbooked by 20 people :(

That's a shame ... PI is always very popular. There's be another one (and more teack days) next year so that'll give you all time to psyche yourself up ;-)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yun, I recommend going down for a few hours anyway to see the track and other cars. It's a greeat sight in any case! :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But do i still need to tell neil?

No. You only need to be on the 'list' for Sandown events.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Well David Good luck tomorrow and i'll probably see you there tomorrow :)

But if anyone want to come for a Cruise to Phillip Island track, you are surely welcome :)

Cheers
Yun

1 - 20 of 31 Posts