Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting new set of springs to lower my car(yet again). David has mentioned on my350z that his car dropped 2cm all round, did it drop any more since then? I think 2cm is the maximum drop before the suspension alignment is out of specs, and since I drive a lot in a straight line it's quiet important to me that it stays in specs.

Also does any one know if they are liner or progressive springs, also what are the rates compared to stock springs, are they stiffer or softer?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
David has mentioned on my350z that his car dropped 2cm all round, did it drop any more since then?

Not to my knowledge. From what I can see/gather, the clearance bellow the car is exactly the same.

I think 2cm is the maximum drop before the suspension alignment is out of specs, and since I drive a lot in a straight line it's quiet important to me that it stays in specs.

What do you mean by 'out of spec'? The springs will give you another ~1deg of negative camber ... so the front will be out of Nissan's specs no matter what ... no? As is it I have -1.5deg at the front and -2.0deg at the back ... I can't remember for sure, but I don't think I could get lower camber setting at the rear even if I wanted (ie. it's maxed out in that direction). Not that I want to, but I'm not sure whether -2.0deg is within Nissan's specs either.

I'm probably be getting my car re-aligned sometimes this week so I'll let you know what my settings were before/after the alignement. Though, it's reasonably common for the alignmet to go out over time.

Also does any one know if they are liner or progressive springs

I think they are linear.

also what are the rates compared to stock springs, are they stiffer or softer?

They are definately stiffer than the OME ones. I can't remember the exact rates/ratios but I think it was around 30%. I still have the exact specs for the Whiteline springs, but I don't have them on me and will not have access to that info 'till next week. Will post it up when I have it though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David, they sound exactly like what I want, I'll have to check nissan wheel alignment specifications, but it seems to me that the drop is the same as Nismo S-Tune suspension so they should be fine. Also I've just read up that whiteline prefers liner springs over progressive which is what I want.

·
Registered
785 Posts
NOT TRYING TO HIJACK THREAD But:

on the Whiteline suspension track, Has anyone fitted their swaybars?

I seem to recall perhaps mchapman was going to do it?

ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM???

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not hijacking at all, I have been thinking about getting them as well, but first I think I'll do just the springs by themselfs if they stiffen up the suspension by 30% like David has mentioned. I think some one might have posted some specs on the old form, but I can't recall.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Did David get a camber kit after install. I had a look at the whiteline site & it said the springs dropped the car 25-40mm.
If so, camber will be way out of specs I think?

Also, I recently put on the Hotchkis springs which are harder in front but softer in back than oem, this aside, still think to get the handling I want I need sways. Springs by themselves will not do much to body roll or to the understeer which is prevelant in the zed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No he didn't, since he primarly races his car, so he wanted more camber. Also if the springs are stiffer then stock it will decrease the body roll, but you'll need swaybars to correct understeer (I think).

By the way, did you get an alignment done on your car? I think Hotchkis springs drop the rear by 19mm which is very close to whitelines, what is your camber now?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've forgot, any way, if I get those springs and my camber or toe in the rear maxes out I'll get camber and toe cams, a lot cheaper then the rods and they don't break the suspension geometry (at least that what some people say, but no one listens).

·
Registered
785 Posts
Don't those camber kits cost alot more than the springs?
I know the springs from whiteline cost $338.00 for the set of 4 + add the camber kit $?. May pay to look into coilovers?
Or go with less aggressive springs like espelir GT or Hotchkis (or Pedders) and get the sways which now run at $258 (front) & $258 (rear) and set up should be sweet??

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you click on the link you'll see that the toe and camber cams (not rods) cost US$90 for both and it give you -/+ 3 degrees of adjustment for toe and camber. If you need more adjustment you can get a camber rod and toe cam here for US$219. It increases the camber adjustement to -/+4 degrees and the toe adjustment stays at -/+3.

I'll just go with the cams since it's cheaper and with 2cm drop I don't think I'll need any more drop.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ahuh> Me likey japdirect!!!

BUT, (here is always one with me)
The whiteline springs (from the website) says that they drop anywhere from 25-40mm!!!!

25mm drop ok, but 40mm is extreme. Start to have problems where you might have to park your car & walk if you encounter major humps or driveways!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
David has them fitted and it's only 20mm drop. The whiteline website is very generic and it lacks information.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Did David get a camber kit after install. ... If so, camber will be way out of specs I think?

The reason I got the springs was to get more camber at the front as I wanted more grip there ... I had no other intentions/motive. I looked at the K-mac camber kit and that is close to $1000 just in parts. The install is pretty tricky as well and would have been around $300 on top. So the springs were a much cheaper option and I did not care for adjustable camber at the front, just for more camber. I have -1.5deg of camber there at the moment. So, I'd say that my camber is out of Nissan's spec, but that is exactly what I wanted.

I had a look at the whiteline site & it said the springs dropped the car 25-40mm.

I've still got all the information somewhere, and from what I remember Whiteline claimed 20mm drop for the springs I got. I have not measured the actual drop myself, but it does look right about there. If someone with OME springs measures the distrance between the road and (let's say) the black lip spoiler at the front then I can measure mine and we'll know the difference exactly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
G'day,

Details on Whiteline springs follows:

Whiteline Control Springs.
Front: Part # 73219, Rate 365 lb/inch (6.5 kg/mm), Ride Height 340-345mm (OEM 365mm ) Drop: 20-25mm.
Rear: Part # 73220, Rate 445lb/inch (8.0 kg/mm), Ride Height 345-350mm (OEM 375mm) Drop: 25-30mm

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Peter,

What are these springs like on the road? Are they a rough ride as i understand the Hotchkis springs are a nice ride, similar to OEM springs? Is there anything else i need to buy to drop my car with these springs? Part no 73221 @ $153+GST and part no 73219 @ $153.

Total cost $330 inc plus delivery>

How much would you pay for someone to install these??

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
What are these springs like on the road?

A bit harsher than OME, but more than OK by me.

How much would you pay for someone to install these??

Around $200.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the way, I had my front camber checked in the front by nismo pete and it was in the front .8 and .9 degrees. So it is at the extreme of OEM nissan specs. Because of that I'll need to get front camber arms before I think of lowering my car. Same goes for the rear.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
By the way, I had my front camber checked in the front by nismo pete and it was in the front .8 and .9 degrees.

Mine was around -0.5deg atthe ront when I had the OME springs. Now I have around -1.5dg of camber in the front.

So it is at the extreme of OEM nissan specs. Because of that I'll need to get front camber arms before I think of lowering my car.

Are you saying that when you lower your car you want to keep the camber at less (or equal to) what you have right now? If so, why? I don't think I'd be happy with much less than -1.5deg.

Same goes for the rear.

The rear has adjustable camber and therefore you should be able to set it at whatever you like ... that is within the range of adjustment. So you should not need a camber kit for the rear if you wish to keep the OME settings.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Correction it was -.9 and -.8. And yes I want to keep the stock camber because I do a lot of hwy driving like from sydney to melbourne and gold coast. I guess if I had -1.5 and in my case it probably would be closer to -2, I would go through tires very quickly. And If I've a camber kit I can keep it at OEM and when I want to change it , I could adjust it in less then half an hour.

I've seen the Kinetix A-Arms installed on the stillen supercharged Z when it was in workshop and they looked ok, the only problem I've heard is that they get noisy after a while. So right now I'm waiting to see what sort of reports the Cusco arms are going to get. Also I've found some ACP A-Arms in the same price range, but no one knows a thing about them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts