Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started from a dead stop in first gear and shifted into 2nd at about 5800 RPM's when all of a sudden white smoke shot straight from underneath my car and the cabin of the car filled with white smoke. I pulled over and it was still smoking very little from the front grill and out the sides of the hood. I thought it just might be a blown radiator. Then I started to look for leaking oil underneath (nothing) oil on the headers (nothing) radiator (nothing), so the only thing I can come up with is that I slipped the clutch really bad. :( 2004 with 5k on it. Can anyone tell me if I am thinking in the right direction.

Thanks in advanced

John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like to add that when I got home I left it running and opened the hood and there is no smoke anymore. It smells like a burnt rubber. I know it wasn't my tires because the smoke came into the car when i was going around 35 MPH.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like to add that when I got home I left it running and opened the hood and there is no smoke anymore. It smells like a burnt rubber. I know it wasn't my tires because the smoke came into the car when i was going around 35 MPH.
It was oil that got into the cylinder. Nothing to worry about. Happens when you run hard, especially if your F/I.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was oil that got into the cylinder. Nothing to worry about. Happens when you run hard, especially if your F/I.
No FI but I will take your word for it. Thanks for the info. I will pull the plugs and see if there is any oil on them. Any other help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd guess John doesn't look how you think he'd look in that bikini.. haha
LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any other help?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Any other help?
could be a lot of things. If it smelled like burnt rubber, I would guess it's your clutch. Though, I think you would know if your clutch was slipping. So, I would suspect you burnt a bit of oil, or it is bit of unburned fuel. The troubling thing IMO, is that you were smoking from the engine bay.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if it is an isolated incident. If it happens again, make sure you figure it out

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would guess that you were not smelling burned rubber. Probably smoked your clutch a bit. If it doesn't slip or chatter, you got away with it. I've speed-shifted mine bunches of times with no problem. You do have to get off the clutch and fast.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
well the good news is that the smoke did not stay constant other than that u would have had a serious problem.
well i think it was your clutch, you probably drove a bit hard on 2nd....dont worry about it
one of my friends i know dropped a very small screw inside his engine while he was changing the lower plenum without paying attention....and man his Z started smoking later due to the heavy friction with the screw and the pistons. there was smoke coming out of the car constantly afterwards

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
well the good news is that the smoke did not stay constant other than that u would have had a serious problem.
well i think it was your clutch, you probably drove a bit hard on 2nd....dont worry about it
one of my friends i know dropped a very small screw inside his engine while he was changing the lower plenum without paying attention....and man his Z started smoking later due to the heavy friction with the screw and the pistons. there was smoke coming out of the car constantly afterwards

:OMG: :doh:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
When I slipped my clutch, I never had any smoke but it really smelled bad, like burnt rubber. My guess is that if you saw smoke it might be something else. Could you pinpoint where the smoke was coming from under the car? If it smelled like burnt rubber, could you have run over something or maybe something is burning up underneath the car after the install of the headers. I would try to get your car up on a lift and check it out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK so I took it to ultimate Z by my house and then to the nissan dealership. There is oil billed up on top of the valve cover and all over the right side of the engine. Not much but enought to see some wet spots. The dealer said it could be the spark plug gasket that is leaking or something else on top of the valve cover. Its very hard to tell where its coming but you know just as well as I do that if its leaking on top of the valve cover some might drip down and hit other areas. The one thing I can guess now that I see this oil is when I punched it and turned right the G's pushed the oil from the top of the valve cover and onto my headers, which I know would cause tons of smoke. Plues the right side of the enging is where the vent is going into the car. Well I will post more when I find more answers when I take the car in Tues. Thanks for a the post everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts