Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! For a few weeks I have noticed a whine when I am driving between 40 and 50 mph. I have a 2005 and it is completely stock. I can not hear it at any other speeds. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Can you be more specific? Can you isolate the noise from an area of your car? What are you doing in the speed range? Normal cruising, racing, etc? Is it really loud and annoying, or can you only hear it when it's really quiet out? Do you drive an auto or manual?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2005 touring Z and i've also noticed a whine/whizzing kind of noise. I get it from 60 MPH and up while cruising normally. Sounds like its coming from my tires and my cousin, who is a mechanic, also agrees that its coming from the tires. My guess is that your hearing the tires but thats just my guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is at constant cruising speed. It seems to get louder when I start to slow down, but once I am below about 40 mph it stops. I have a manual tranny. It happens when I am in any gear. I can not tell if it is coming from the tires or not. It is possible.

·
5,437 Posts
I also get a high pitched whine at about 70mph+, it disappears upon acceleration and deceleration. It is only heard while maintaining constant speeds. Sounds like wind noise, but it is more high pitched than that.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My Z whines all the time! Whhhhhiirrrrrr!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
i drive an 06 350z 6mt and i get this whine too. it sounds like some kinda whistle and its kind of annoying. its fairly loud, you can year it even with music and stuff. has anyone figured out what it is?

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Do you have the stock potenzas? I noticed it when I had my potenzas on and haven't heard it since I swapped in my pirellis. Then again it might have been related to feathering in my case. Drove me crazy though :ahhh:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Maybe be a stupid question but have you checked you tire pressures?
Also, one a brand new car, random noises can happen until things are broken in well, how many miles do you have on it? If it is past break in, I would head to the dealer. The only other thing I could think of would be a wheel bearing that isn't lubricated or a brake pad that is hanging up. Does the noise sound like any other noise you have heard? Identifying the type of whine can help isolate the problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i've got about 800 something miles on my car. what is normal tire pressure supposed to be at? the whining noise sounds like a whistle that remains at the same pitch. it sounds the same everytime but the noise is not always there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the whine stays the same pitch throughout the rpm band. it seems to make the noise if i dont warm my car up enough. when i hit higher speeds like 80-90ish, i almost always get the sound regardless of how much my car is warmed up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get this whine too. Mine is an 03 with only 11k miles. I noticed it first when i raced my friends z in my gsr. His whined and almost sounded as if a turbo was spooling up. Now that i have my z, mine does it too. I think it is something that most of our cars do but some peopel dont notice it because it only is audible at certain rpm and when the accelerator is pushed a certain amount. I personally like the sound, makes my car sound FI. lol. I just put a pop charger on, and it makes it even more pronounced. Also u can get it to "chirp", just do a little quick whistle/whine by tapping the gas. I dont think anything is wrong, though im not sure why the car does it. And to me, before and after the popcharger, it sounded like it was coming right from where the air filter is. Just my thoughts, if u cant get it to go away, just learn to love it. And if u want ur car to sound like a race car for 120 bucks go grab a pop charger. Best $120 I ever spent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 06 with 6 speed and notice noise, not a whine, but more of a buffetting or vibration sound, with slight increase in vibration, when running between 2500 and a little over 3000 rpm (as when running between 70 and 80 mph on the freeway). If I take my foot off the gas, the vibration noise diminishes, but when gas is applied again, it returns. I am wondering if this is normal, or if something is slightly out of ballance. Above 3000 rpm it quiets down again. Anyone else have this happening?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem in my 04. I think that it is gear whine from the rear end (only happens in the 40-50mph range). When I still had my Mustang a buddy put new gears in his and had the same whine. As far as I know it is just annoying and should not damage anything in the rear end. If the sound is coming from your tranny, get to a dealership quick.

·
Registered
93 Posts
when i was driving an RX-8, i hear the same sound and goes to a higer pitch when i go faster. i noticed it in the Z as well. i was thinking it was a bearing but then it is not. i have had a bearing problem (front) when i had a pre-owned 04 Z but the sound will definitely be different (not whine but more of a groaning sound which gets louder).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
While searching on the same issue - I came accross this old thread.

Has anyone figured out this problem yet ? I have Nissan Maxima 2004 SE Auto.
I am getting the exact same whine. It only happens between 45 and 50 mph..Below and above this range is fine - no sound.
Tires are 4months old.Tranny fluid changed 3 months back, wheel bearing and front axle checked- OK.. New front and rear suspension parts..

Note : The noise started 5-6 months back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts