Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am seriously looking into a twin turbo for my car. I want to know opinions of those who have them. Which kit can produce roughly 700-800whp? I am going to do this in steps, so I know that just a twin can't make the power I want. I want to know which kit to start with.

I originally wanted the PE kit because it can produce up to 500hp. But now that I am looking into it more, I am not sure it will be able to handle 25-30psi of boost since it has smaller turbos? Now I am looking into the GReddy kit. I have heard that the 18G turbos can handle 25psi without a problem. Again, the internals will be changed before I attempt anything over 10psi. I don't want to add the turbo, then have to upgrade it when I want to get over 500hp.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Wow, not going for a daily driver I guess.

My goal is 400-440rwhp, so I won't be going to forged internals. I will have to install a new fuel pump, modified fuel rail, new FPR and some return lines.

APS is coming out with a new TT this year, but I haven't researched their prototype.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
TruBluZ, I would go with APS, Top Secret, or Turbonetics (coming out this fall just as APS).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could I use the eManage or should I just the the TS reflash? I kind of like the idea of different boost settings. And I would like it to be a daily driver as well. Maybe not always at max boost, but I want it reliable....if that is possible.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
TruBluZ, i am neither a tuner nor a F/I guru. From what I've been able to learn/read about our engine, with stock internals, 375 to maybe 450 rwhp is the limit with currently available Turbo or Supercharger kits if you desire relaibility. The GReddy out of the box will put down 345 or better, and 100 more horsepower in the Z is alot of fun. (Most stock Z's that i've seen dyno sheets on put down 240 or so to the rear wheel.) I would certainly wait and see what these new kit makers have added to the mix, as both the Greddy & PE kits have there own idiosyncrasies.

If you want some additional info on forced induction applications, I suggest you visit that forum at my350z.com. I'm NOT trying to steer you away from this site. The posts in that particular forum (F/I)are not as dramatic as the others, and some knowledge can be gained from both sites. F/I on our engine is new territory, so take you time, learn as much as you can, then boost on up. If you don't already have a copy, I suggest reading Corky Bells book on forced induction. Explains a lot in a way that's easy to understand.

hth...kenny

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kenny.

I am also a member of that forum. I have been reading lots of posts there as well. I am in no hurry to spend the money for FI, so I am going to be sure before I do it.

As someone once said: you can have two of the three; cheap, reliable, or fast.

I know this build-up is going to cost me tons, so I want to make sure I am making the right decisions. Like I said...it is going to be a step by step process. Don't expect to see my car making 600+hp in a week. Just won't happen.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by TruBluZ@Jun 30 2004, 05:10 PM
Could I use the eManage or should I just the the TS reflash? I kind of like the idea of different boost settings. And I would like it to be a daily driver as well. Maybe not always at max boost, but I want it reliable....if that is possible.

I would just use the E-manage.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by nissan350ztt@Jul 1 2004, 06:47 PM
I would just use the E-manage.

I talked with a local shop here and they said that what I want done is possible. They recommended the GReddy kit. Since the APS kit hasn't come out, they said that they couldn't make an accurate judgement on it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
APS kit hands down if you want top quality..We have 5 of them comming in mid to late October and are offering major installation incentives for the first five.Contact [email protected] and he will hook you up.We may even do free shipping on the first one or two to be purchased..

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
According the APS, the GT series turbo's they are using should be able to push enough CFM to support 700hp @ roughly 14psi. I talked to Peter before and he mentioned the turbo's should be able to hold up to 25psi to redline on the vq35. Plus better spool ability as an immediate advantage which will make quite a difference if you street race, drag strip, road course at all. I don't think the Greddy incurs any noticeable lag as it is, but if you bump the compression down, you'll notice it. The APS you'll notice some lag as well, but not as much as the 18G's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just for another account... Another board member is already seeing ~435rwhp & just 7.5psi w/ the greddy kit. If I'm correct, I believe the APS kit saw around those power levels @ 9psi w/ no cats & 450rwhp @ 11psi. The 18G's are still going to be able to push a lil more CFM. But of course you'll have a nicer power band with the APS kit @ lower compression levels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts