Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a new set of wheels. Staggered 18*8.5/9.5 set up. So I need tires. Here are the options:

KUMHO ECSTA ASX
245/40/18 - front
275/40/18 - rear

OR...

BF Goodrich g-Force Sport
245/40/18 - front
275/35/18 - rear

I'm alittle unsure of the tiresize that should be used. the sidewall heigh is a percentage of the width, so if I keep the sidewall at 40, the sidewall height will be different on the kumho's. Where as the BFG's will be 40% of 245, and 35% of 275 (more of an equal sidewall).

I've never run a staggered set up before, so i'm not sure on tires. Which ones would you guys run? Cost is the same (save about 5 bucks for the set..)

Matt

·
Registered
300 Posts
BFG's rule, far superior to Kumho's IMHO.

As for the size, technically either will work but most use 275/40 rears not 275/35 (for 18" that is). In fact for my Nismo rims it says to ONLY use that size. But again both will work, the 35 profile will be a little smaller in diameter. This obvisouly will change the dynamics of how the car handles slightly etc. but lets get real - I am sure most would never be able to tell a difference. I would only be concerned with the fact that you might see a larger speedo error if you go with 35 profile - at least in theory - I cannot back that up with hard facts.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
You've done your research. I am thinking about the BFG's as my next choice, but I've also seen the Ecstas in action.

Both are awesome tires. Both are terrible in the rain. Both are great for driving really hard. I guess what you could compare is tread wear rating? :dunno:

Good luck, but either way you go, you're going to get an awesome tire :thumbsup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Originally posted by StudyBuddy@Jul 7 2005, 07:39 AM
You've done your research. I am thinking about the BFG's as my next choice, but I've also seen the Ecstas in action.

Both are awesome tires. Both are terrible in the rain. Both are great for driving really hard. I guess what you could compare is tread wear rating? :dunno:

Good luck, but either way you go, you're going to get an awesome tire :thumbsup:
[snapback]128079[/snapback]​

Terrible is a relative term here. My BFG KDW's are fine in the rain, excellent in the dry. No problems at all. In fact the DW stands for dry/wet as opossed to the KD's (dry only).

But compared to dry traction, yes they stink in the rain. But this could apply to almost any tire. I have used Kumho's before and was not impressed but that is not totally fair as they may or may not have been the same Ecsta version.

So I agree, both good choices. I just like BFG's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.