Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta an oil change coming up and wanted to hear who is using synthetic or what?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I did my first oil change at 3500 miles with ordinary 10w/30, which is what came in the engine from Nissan. At 7000 miles, I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic 10w/30, and changed it again at 11,000 miles with Mobil 1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use Amzoil full synthetic 0W30 in winter and 5W30 in summer, though 0W30 is just fine for year 'round, believe it or not. Audi even changed their recommendation to synthetic 0W30 year 'round for their turbo motors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
FYI. if you check out Nismo's website Japanhttp://www.nismo.co.jp/products/index.html

in the Nismo "house brand" synthetic Veruspeed oil, it lists 5W-40 as the oil of choice of NA engines such as the VQ35DE.

there is humor that most Japanese cars sold in US use 5W-30 or even 5W-20 so they can meed the CAFE fuel economy mandated by uncle sam.

Personally, I plan on giving the new Mobil 1 5W-40 "Truck&SUV" oil a try at the next oil change. I know, it says truck and suv..but the spec of the oil is pretty good. and again...rumor has it that this new oil is relabeled Mobil "Delvac 1" oil which has better reputation then the current over the counter Mobil 1. And I live in sunny california, so cold start is not a problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its going to be oil change time soon for my 04 Sunset. The dealership uses Valvoline in all their dealership oil changes, unless you specificy something else. In my other vehicles, I have always used Texaco Haveline, but that was because my dad used to own a Texaco station back in the late 50's, so Loyality reasons I guess...I bought my friends used 91 Nissan 4x4 6cyl several years ago. It has 261,000 + miles, and has been a Valvoline 30 wt user since new with no engine problems. So I was thinking about using Valvoline 10/30 in the Z. I live in the East Texas piney woods, so the temps her rarely get into the teens...any suggestions on the Valvoline?

·
Registered
2 Posts
yup, mobil 1 syn is the way to go. ran this in the last 3 cars i 've had (civic si, integra, of course 350z) and ran them all really hard with zero engine problems. Besides, porsche, Corvette, Aston martin, Mercedes-Benz AMG and Viper comes from the factory with Mobil 1. I'm pretty sure it'll suffice for our cars. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I am running Royal Purple 10w30 just because they didnt have the 5w30 at the time. I am switching back though next time to 5w30. Mobil 1 is some great stuff too. Royal Purple may be a little more expensive

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went with Mobil 1 Drive Clean (regular oil) @ ~3,000.... I'll go with the same oil for 1 more change, then switch to Mobil 1 synth.....

From what I've read, synthetic can coat too well, not allowing piston rings to seat properly in new engines. Yes, some cars like the Corvette come with synth from the factory. My assumption is that they spend more time with each engine breaking it in. Perhaps this is done to our VQ35's, but I didn't want to chance it since I plan to go FI in the future.

Note: I've read one article that claimed the first 20mi on a new engine were all that really mattered. If it wasn't run appropriately within that timespan, you'd lost your chance. :eek: I hope that isn't necessarily true!

In the end, after I think the engine is worn in enough I'll go synthetic.... considering I'll be babying it and changing oil religiously at short (3,000mi or less) intervals, I'm not completely convinced the brand matters as much as the weight from a performance perspective. I'm not saying go with some off-brand, but between Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Motul and the like..... I feel like trying to choose, if you get into the specifics of the "tests", is splitting too many hairs. Just go with what you feel like affording (both in $ and time/effort required to procure).

That's my 2cents....

~N

1 - 20 of 29 Posts