Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Offsets are the main thing, but you also need to factor in the design of the rim.

You'll notice that pretty much all the GT-Cs have dish, but TE37s have the spokes sitting flush with the edge of the rim until you go to something like a +22, where the spokes angle in from the rim to the hub.

But, if your rim design has dish, the lower the offset the bigger the dish.

If you're going to buy Rays wheels, their Japanese web site has a fitment guide in the Japanese section. They have little notes to show which offsets will clear Brembos, and its a common opinion that you can drop 10mm from the offset and still fit them to your car (Rays tends to be conservative with fitment sizes).

So, for example, on a 9.5" rear rim Rays recommends a +35 offset for the Z33. But people can, and quite frequently do, get away with a +25 offset and still have them fit under the guards.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
sometimes dish doesnt look right too

on a big kitted Z, alot of dish will work, but on a stock car, sometimes its better to go for a conservative dish

ive ordered SF Challenges, just for reference my wheel sizes are front - 19x8.5 +21, rear - 19x9.5 +23.....the fronts JUST clear the brembos

Volk recommended size for the Z is 8.5/9.5.

10.5 is too wide imo and sticks out of the guards at the rear. Volk recommended offset for my wheel is +34/+36.....so as scathing has mentioned, Volks recommendations for offsets are conservative

·
Registered
853 Posts
They are both hot but you gotta stick with Volks.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Talking about wheels. I got question about Tyres now.

Do you think an 18x8.5 front is ok to put 265/40 18?

This is for my dad's other car.

Cheers
Yun

PS i know my19x8.5 is 245, but i heard some people you can fit 265

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I've been considering getting the Falken FK451 tyres for when my wheels arrive.

Their fitment recommendations for the 265 are 9.0"-10.5" rims.

I'm going to go for 255 all round when my rims arrive (8.5 front and 9.5 rear)

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
255 on front and back will throw the speedo off though

given the standard Z 18" wheel size, best size fitment for 19s is 245/35 front and 275/35 rear.......speedo error is less than 0.5%

personally i think 255s on all corners will look a bit weird, you'll have a taller sidewall on the front than the rear

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
255/45 R17 matches the rear OEM Touring size almost perfectly. 0.8% off. And that's all I'm concerned about is the rear tyre, since that's what the speedo measures off.

275/35 R17 won't fit on my front rims, and I don't like having different size front to rear. My car doesn't make so much power that I need to run staggered sizes, and ever since I've gone to the same sized tyre all round my car's turn-in has improved with no loss of power-out.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
what suspension are u guys running with 20" wheels?

i cant stand the ride on 18s, and am desperately trying to find a fix before my 19" wheels come

i think im going to try the Tanabe NF210 springs before spending 2K+ on coil-overs

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
yeah but coil overs may not give me the ride im after, most give a harder ride than stock

i may have to mix n match shocks and springs, say bilstein, koni or tokico adjustable shocks with a spring with stock spring rates like the Tanabe

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah but coil overs may not give me the ride im after, most give a harder ride than stock

i may have to mix n match shocks and springs, say bilstein, koni or tokico adjustable shocks with a spring with stock spring rates like the Tanabe
FWIW I agree. I've got an Eibach Pro-kit with the stock shocks and the ride was much improved - slightly softer but much more precise handling - I'll put some Tokico's or koni's in down the track when the stock shocks **** themselves. My car is very much a daily driver so it's nice around town.

If you want to drive it to see the difference versus stock just ask!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Guy are u in Melb? Id love to check out the ride with Eibachs. Like i said, i has eibach springs and koni shocks on my Alfa, had the Koni's wound to max firmness, sure it was hard, but it never crashed or twisted over potholes like the Z does

Do you have any pics of the drop with the Eibachs? Did u get the camber back to stock specs?

Ill have to check out the spring rates on the Eibachs, a softer ride is exaclty what i want, especially in the front

The more i read up on these Tokico shocks, the more im steering towards them. Apparently Tokico make the shocks/springs for the Nismo S-tune suspension

·
Registered
88 Posts
Guy are u in Melb? Id love to check out the ride with Eibachs. Like i said, i has eibach springs and koni shocks on my Alfa, had the Koni's wound to max firmness, sure it was hard, but it never crashed or twisted over potholes like the Z does

Do you have any pics of the drop with the Eibachs? Did u get the camber back to stock specs?

Ill have to check out the spring rates on the Eibachs, a softer ride is exaclty what i want, especially in the front

The more i read up on these Tokico shocks, the more im steering towards them. Apparently Tokico make the shocks/springs for the Nismo S-tune suspension
Yeah I'm a Melbourne boy - live in Doncaster and work in Burwood East! Re checking out the ride, PM me and we'll organise a time to catch up - I'm around over Xmas & New Year so it should be easy. There's always a coldie in the fridge too...and I'd love to see your car!

I dont have any photos of my Z but I think I have some on my PC - I can email them to you. Re the camber, the Eibachs will allow you to stay within spec. Interestingly, when Traction Tyres in Rowville installed them the spec was way off front and rear yet the car was only 6 months old! I think Nissan need to improve their QC...but it's easily fixed.

The Tokico's get a good review but I'm not sure if they are in the league of Konis or Bilstein; then again you're not paying the $$ either.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'll put some Tokico's or koni's in down the track when the stock shocks **** themselves. My car is very much a daily driver so it's nice around town.
As your car is a streeter, I'd recommend the Konis over the Tokicos. I can't speak for their relative performance, but convenience-wise the Tokicos have their damper adjustment at the top of the strut, which is impossible to reach in the back without pulling it out.

The Konis are adjustable from the side, so all you need is your jack to lift the car up to where you can get your arm between the tyre and the guard.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
yeah but the Konis only adjust rebound, not damping

The Tokicos adjust both damping and rebound together, so there is alot more adjustment

The front is the main issue for me, and the only shocks that i will be fine tuning as i go, and with the cusco strut brace, its very easy to get to the top of the shocks. The rears ill put on the factory street setting ( level 4 if i remember correctly) and just leave

For what the Tokicos are worth (around $800 landed in Aus) its worth a shot given the reviews and adjustment range

Im going to match them with the Tanabe NF210 springs.....peak rates are 0% stiffer up front, +5% in the back, with a 1.2" drop. Ill prob fit the springs/shocks before my 19s to allow the springs to settle in. Plus i still have no definite arrival date on the wheels, could be another month still :banghead:

Nice drop........

Attachments

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
yeah but the Konis only adjust rebound, not damping
Are you sure? Because the ones I got feel like they increase bound damping along with decreasing rebound damping.

When I wind them up, the car's suspension is harder to push down/

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.