Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get some better handling out of my z and am curious which coilover setup is the best bang for the buck?

i definitely want adjustable ones.

cusco 1
cusco 2
tanabe 1
tanabe 2
tein basic
tein flex
jic
hks hypermax1
hks hypermax2
veilside pro
veilside basic

any others ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
JIC FLT-A2 is the only way to go. We use them on the majority of the cvars we have built and on al our road course cars.

Regards

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I currently have this setup on my car: Tein Flex with EDFC and Cusco Sway Bars. I also replaced the rear rods and front A-arms with all of Kinetix Racing's aftermarket parts. This allowed for me to lower the car so I am not rubbing and then I got the alignement done. The car became a totally different car in terms of handling. It has become very tight in the corners and there is virtually no leaning. All of this is riding on a set of 19"s.

The only problem that I have encountered is that the top nut on the rear struts keeps on coming loose. I have tightened it down hand tight initially and it came loose, so now I will be putting it in the vice and really cranking it down, plus I will use some locktight to keep it there.

The suspension with EDFC was $1930 shipped and the Cusco sway bars were $450 shipped. The kinteix racing suspension components were roughly $750. All total I put $3130 into my suspension/handling.

The front coilover with adjustable A-arm:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by Zxrage@May 19 2004, 07:42 PM
I currently have this setup on my car:  Tein Flex with EDFC

The suspension with EDFC was $1930 shipped

The front coilover with adjustable A-arm:

Just curious, where did you get the Tein Flex coilovers with EDFC?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I got them from Jeff at Evolution Autosports. He hooked me up with a deal, but you can tell him that you would like to get it for that price and see what he says. If he gives you a problem let me know and I will talk to him and see what I can do to help you out.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Awesome, I don't need to get them for a while but I was just planning ahead. Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Before you decide what coilovers to go with, you need to decide what you really want to do with your vehicle. The JICs are currently the best coilover for somebody who frequently tracks their car. It's also by far the stiffest. If your car is more of a daily driver, the Tein Flex system would probably be a better option.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about the tein basics? they do not have damper adjustability but do have height adjustability..

any thoughts? they are about 700$

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The Tein Basics do not allow for you to adjust the dampening force, but there is also one other Tein suspension that will work with EDFC besides the Tein Flex.

Tein CS Damper

Even though Tein does not list the CS Damper as being compatible with the 350Z on their website, they do make a model for our cars, and it is compatible with EDFC. So this provides another option to having an adjustable suspension. As for the pricing, I don't know...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also concider JIC or the high end Endless. I use JIC on all my Z's and prefer them on the track. W ehave run the same car with boththe Tein and the JIC and myself and the dfriver of out GT-2 car prefer the JIC. This is especially true when it comes to tuning

regards

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am aware that the Basic does not allow damping adjustments.. but I do not track my car either.. Would this be a good upgrade over the stocks? Its about half the price of regular coilovers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you rally need just ride height adjustments and a little stiffer suspension yes - We also carry Tein and can get you the system you need

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would say CuscoZero2

I had some Cusco's on my S14 and they were much better than apexi, JIC, and tein! Some other top quality coilovers are Zeal!
Jon

·
Registered
853 Posts
Great opinions. I also want to add a coilover setup but more for everyday driving. Are Tein basics all I need?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, I did a tech inspection of my car yesterday, and my JIC front dampers are leaking.
I'm a little fed up with them anyways, as they're overly noisy (rattling in the upper mount), and from what I've been reading, JIC has been stretching the truth on what they advertise. I think I may send my right dampers (not leaking) to somebody at Koni to have them do a shock dyno on my dampers. From what I've been reading recently, JIC has not been properly valving their dampers recently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking to get some better handling out of my z and am curious which coilover setup is the best bang for the buck?

i definitely want adjustable ones.

cusco 1
cusco 2
tanabe 1
tanabe 2
tein basic
tein flex
jic
hks hypermax1
hks hypermax2
veilside pro
veilside basic

any others ?

If your just looking to get the car lower and play with the height tein basics will do the job(Dont expect the car to handle really well), A lot of people bag on Megan coilovers but the only cons to getting megans is having a stiff ride, witch i dont see as a bad thing as long as you set them up right with the right wheel and tire combo. Unless your car is going to be on the track 24/7 then go with some really high end coilovers(2,000-3,000+) or even go custom and get custom spring rates etc...I have had and driven many diffrence set ups and overall best bang for the buck($900 or lower) if your talking about being height adjustible and hard but not super harsh ride i would say megans.Good for track and street.

But honestly when i was looking into coilovers everyone told me everything was too stiff and to harsh for the streets so i just tested cars at events and finally seen what was the best route for me(drviing style). So i went Tein Flex cause you can get really low and still have really good shock travel.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
If your just looking to get the car lower and play with the height tein basics will do the job(Dont expect the car to handle really well), A lot of people bag on Megan coilovers but the only cons to getting megans is having a stiff ride, witch i dont see as a bad thing as long as you set them up right with the right wheel and tire combo. Unless your car is going to be on the track 24/7 then go with some really high end coilovers(2,000-3,000+) or even go custom and get custom spring rates etc...I have had and driven many diffrence set ups and overall best bang for the buck($900 or lower) if your talking about being height adjustible and hard but not super harsh ride i would say megans.Good for track and street.

But honestly when i was looking into coilovers everyone told me everything was too stiff and to harsh for the streets so i just tested cars at events and finally seen what was the best route for me(drviing style). So i went Tein Flex cause you can get really low and still have really good shock travel.
Holy three and a half year post resurrection Bat Man!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts