Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, which claybar would u recommend outta these two; "Pinnacle Poly Clay" or "Wolfgang Elastic Clay" ?
i was going buy claybar blue magic, but it seems WaxIt.com.au no longer stocks it.

how long does it take for WaxIt.com.au to deliver ? also, if u know where i could buy blue magic, please let me know.

cheers

·
Registered
178 Posts
hey guys, which claybar would u recommend outta these two; "Pinnacle Poly Clay" or "Wolfgang Elastic Clay" ?
i was going buy claybar blue magic, but it seems WaxIt.com.au no longer stocks it.

how long does it take for WaxIt.com.au to deliver ? also, if u know where i could buy blue magic, please let me know.

cheers

Pinnicle hands down. I've used several of their waxes... and boy o boy are those nice.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Pinnacle is Wolfgang.......its the same company, though Pinnacle use the Wolfgang brand as more of an entry level product range, but majority of the products are identical, they just color the clay bar differently

The best clay bars are the Clay Magic Blue Clay bars, but seriously unless you're claying non metallic black (which requires a special blend to prevent scratches), any clay bar will do the job

Waxit have a special on the Wolfgang kit, scroll to the bottom
http://waxit.com.au/products.asp?cat=3

remember to wax after a clay, as it removes most of the wax on the paint. You may even need to polish if you have a darker colored car

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pinnacle is Wolfgang.......its the same company, though Pinnacle use the Wolfgang brand as more of an entry level product range, but majority of the products are identical, they just color the clay bar differently

The best clay bars are the Clay Magic Blue Clay bars, but seriously unless you're claying non metallic black (which requires a special blend to prevent scratches), any clay bar will do the job

Waxit have a special on the Wolfgang kit, scroll to the bottom
http://waxit.com.au/products.asp?cat=3

remember to wax after a clay, as it removes most of the wax on the paint. You may even need to polish if you have a darker colored car
yep, i saw that and im hopefully ordering it this week.

i currently have 2 wax at home, Meg's NXT liquid wax and Meg's Cleaner wax. which one should i use ? coz i havent opened the Cleaner wax yet.

thnx every1

·
Registered
178 Posts
yep, i saw that and im hopefully ordering it this week.

i currently have 2 wax at home, Meg's NXT liquid wax and Meg's Cleaner wax. which one should i use ? coz i havent opened the Cleaner wax yet.

thnx every1
Do the cleaner wax, then the NXT on top. IIRC, the cleaner wax is carnuba, right? What I've done in the past is Pinnicle as a base wax, then NXT or some synthetic on top. Depth, and shine.

~Eric

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
layering a synthetic wax over a carnauba doesnt make sense to me, and is a waste of time imo

you either prefer the synthetic properties - clarity, durability, or the carnauba effects - gloss, slickness

if u put a synthetic over a carnauba, all the carnauba properties are gone, and u mess with the optical properties of the wax. You're better off spending that time prep'ing the paint some more. A top layer wax only works as good as the base underneath it

The Meg cleaner wax will have fillers in it to hide the swirls/light scratches and is carnauba based, id avoid using it. Fillers are a wank imo, and the reason i dont like any of the Meg range, it makes the car look good the second after polishing/waxing, but after a few washes when the cheap fillers wash away, you're back to having swirls

If you want to remove the swirls and prep the paint properly, you're best using a light abbrassive after the clay. Farecla G10 or Menzerna Final Polish work very well, but availability is an issue. The Poorboys SSR 1 and SSR2 will work well too and are very affordable, but may require more time if working by hand. If you dont think theres any swirls or notiecable blemishes in the paint, id use the Poorboys Pro-Polish (without carnauba since you using a synthetic wax). Then once you've got the paint looking as glossy and smooth as you like, then put the Meg NXT on top.

What color is your car?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I see what your saying; but have you tried this before?

I have seen several cars with a carnuba base, and a synthetic on top of it. I was able to tell quite a difference by having both. Both clarity/depth and gloss/shine were present.

I'm not saying to skip surface prep either. That's the most important part, just as it is when painting.

My process for a full detail (1-2 times per year) that's been used on my CSVT for the past 3 years:
1. Good wash
2. Clay bar
3. Wash
4. Paint cleaner
5. Polish
6. Carnuba wax
7. Synthetic wax

It seems to work for me. Not everyone will want to put this much time into something that is driven at 70+mph with stones and debris from other filthy cars/trucks pelting it.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
yeah i have seen it before. My mate is a pro detailer, and i myself am a hobbiest detailer that has tried pretty much all of the premium waxes out there

if it works for you that's cool, that's what detailing is all about, trying different waxes and combos

if i was to layer two different type of waxes, id go the other way, perhaps an acrylic like Klasse AIO for the durability, then either Pinnacle Souveran or P21S on top for the gloss/shine. So even if the carnauba washes away (and it will as they are the least durable waxes), you've still got the AIO protecting the paint while you find the time to put another layer of carnauba over the top

but i wouldnt use a synthetic. In my experience, using a carnauba over a synthetic just makes the carnauba hard to apply, and loses the clarity a synthetic is known for. Try using a synthetic Quick detailer on a carnauba wax, it wont work, itll smear like crazy. The ingredients arent interchangeable

·
Registered
199 Posts
Over the counter clay bars???

My favs:

Mothers or Clay Magic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I am Dave from waxit.com.au and wanted to clear up a couple of issues raised in this thread.

1. I still sell Clay Magic bars, I was out of stock for a few days thats all. Unfortunately my supplier is out the lube I supply with the Clay Magic kits so they are still not available.

2. Pinnacle and Wolfgang are indeed marketed by the same company and SOME of the product lines are shared. However the 2 clays are different and are made by different companies.

3. As Tipace says its not worth putting a synthetic product over a carnauba, however using a carnauba over a synthetic to add an extra dimension to the look is very common, in fact the guy who runs autopia.org in the USA trademarked "The Perfect Shine" in reference to this practice.

With Tipace here you have a wealth knowledge to draw on in regards to detailing which is great, he used to drink Zaino, now I think he spreads P21s on his toast :biggrin:

Cheers
Dave.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
good points Dave

on the yellow Murcielago, im going to Zaino then follow with a layer of P21S. The Zaino will provide the durability even after the carnauba has washed away. It wont be waxed anywhere near as often as my car, so the Zaino makes perfect sense to use

i still love Zaino and would prefer to use it, its just not for me owning a black car now. P21S makes it easy to cut through by hand and remove swirls as i see them. I gotta have zero swirls at all times

·
Registered
27 Posts
After you clean the surface w/ soaps clay bar etc...

Use synthetic wax first, to give you protection and dourability, polish it off well, then take your carnuba, and lay it on top. That will give you the shine you want, then once the carnuba is gone you still have a dourable layer on the bottom.

·
Registered
528 Posts
sorry guys, but im such a newb at car detailing, i never knew how much work went into it...

what i usually do is wash my car and maybe wax it once a month with Megs NXT..

Can anyone recommend products/process for a once a month wax and probably once a week wash?

My car still being new and all still looks nice, however i want to get rid of all the bugs off the front bar and get a real rich glossy look!

TPIACE maybe you can help me out on this one?

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
528 Posts
what color is it chris?
Its BLACK of course... best colour :irock:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
oooooo if it has swirls you're going to need an abbrassive, and i recommend having the car professionally buffed. You cant do jack with hand power. Since you're down in Melb might as well get my mate Damian, who buffs my car, to do the whole job

re waxes, Pinnacle Souveran and P21S are great carnaubas for a deep gloss wet look black. If you want a mirror finish try a synthetic like Zaino or Klasse. Damian has all of these, and more

·
Registered
528 Posts
sounds great but one problem!! hahha my car will be here in Darwin??

·
Registered
528 Posts
no flying down, and picking up mates rx-8 to drive it to sydney. He is getting air suspension put in and then putting it on a truck back up to Darwin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts