Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i have a 2003 350z with 72k on the motor and 70k on my original manual trans. I started hearing a chattering noise when the car is in neutral, but when the clutch is engaged the noise goes away. Also when i shut the car off it rattles a little bit, but not if the clutch is engaged. I recently found a transmission with roughly 40k on it imported from Japan. After 2k miles I am starting to hear this noise again.
I Am starting to think it is the throwout bearing, but a shop that specializes in nissan said it was the input shaft bearing. I went a little overboard with the clutch because i was talked into it I have a competition stage 3 twin ceramic disk clutch with a competition lightweight flywheel. I want to get this noise fixed asap or I am selling this thing. I dont know if the shop is trying to rip me off, or they are being truthful, but two transmissions sounding the same supposedly an "input shaft bearing" is beyond me and very unlikely in my opinion. Has anyone had this problem before?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Your disk is causing the chatter. It is well known that the OEM transmission will chatter slightly in neutral, which is not a big deal. Aftermarket competition clutches and FW will chatter even louder.

However, you may soon have an issue with your synchros with that many miles. If you're grinding into gears, especially 3rd, then it's your synchros.

I have about 57k miles on my original tranny, and I'm replacing it with the CD009.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From your description, it is the throw out bearing. I have over 75,000 miles on my 05 track edition, and I have no transmission noise, and I auto-x the car regularly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, and yeah on my trans I am having no trouble getting into gears at all, it probably is just clutch chatter, well I hope so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts