Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Im sorry to refresh a topic that has prob been spoken a hundered times before but i give up on searching to find a couple of answers i require!

I want to go 20" wheels on the z but im not sure if the ride would be that bad it wouldnt be worth it?? Has anyone got 20" on there car and whats the ride like.

As it is a touring I understand the changes in spedo reading because they are 17's but am i better off to stay with 18s or 19s. I am getting a set of whiteline springs installed this week so will i have to roll the guards to get 19s under?

Also what is he best width to go 8.5 on the back and 7.5 on the front? Or stick with the same alround? Ive read that many forums on this Im all confused!!!

Thanks in advance.

PS does anyone like these wheels below?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Narsty123 Wrote:
As it is a touring I understand the changes in spedo reading because they are 17's but am i better off to stay with 18s or 19s. I am getting a set of whiteline springs installed this week so will i have to roll the guards to get 19s under?

The speedo wont be affected if you keep the rolling diameter the same. So if you get 20" wheels you will need a very low profile tire to keep it within the acceptable range. On my 19" wheels the best aspect ratio to keep it in range was a 35, so you will need to go lower than this if you use the same width wheels as me.

The offset you choose the wheels in will determine whether you need to roll the guards or not. The offset pushes the wheels out towards the guard or in towards the car.

Also what is he best width to go 8.5 on the back and 7.5 on the front? Or stick with the same alround? Ive read that many forums on this Im all confused!!!

The most used setup is 8.5" at the front and 9.5" at the rear, this is what I chose. You can fit 9.5" front and 10.5 rear as well if you are very sure of the wheel and where it will come out to.

·
Registered
785 Posts
20" will have to be 30 profile, which will be a much harsher ride than now but you might, and I say might be able to cope with it (personally I think very harsh). You will be dodging any slight potholes so your typical trip to the local will be very involved if you get what I mean.

Also if you are considering lowering, you may encounter problems. Like you stated bodywork may (almost certain) be involved.

Keeping a staggered set-up will keep the insurance company happy, but going same width tyre front and rear will bring better handling (less understeer), and with 20" tyres you will want to get as much life out of them due to cost, so other benefit will be tyre rotation.

Many things to consider for 20", but no doubt will look good.

cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[/quote]

Thanks heaps Guys.

Just checked with the insurnace comp... Only allowed 1 inch larger than standard!! **** it. Looks like its 18's. Thanks for the heads up. :banghead:

·
Registered
562 Posts
You have forgot that 18's are standard on 350z, at least on the track model.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Like Nuff says, the Track model has 18" wheels and the Track model is the same as the Touring model except for VDC, Brakes, Spoilers and Wheels. I might have forgotten something but thats basically it. So you should be able to convince them that 19s on your car is the same as 19s the Track model.

·
Registered
889 Posts
And again from the NSW Vechile Standards 09

Minor changes to wheels
Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA. The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

ie: You can be pimping with 25" rims and 1mm sidewalls for your rubber.

If you read the rules closely you must fit a tyre that matches or exceeds the load rating hence you are screwed as only a few tyres come out with the XL rating.

Read the PDF: VSI - 09

Just remember this is the RTA not the insurance CO.

Michael

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Narsty - let the Insurance co know that the 18" Rays wheels are available as a factory OEM option for the Touring and try to get them to agree to a 1" increase on these, ie 19", if that is the way you want to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts