Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 will be my 3rd year participating in track events with my 350z Performance model, 3 to 4 events a year. I've been running stock Performance wheels (18s) with Potenzas and now Toyo T1Rs and looking to take it to the next level. Looking to balance light wheel weight and cost. My budget is from $500 - $700 a wheel (not including tires, might put slicks on them). I've been looking at 5Zigen GN+ and others but have quite honestly been having a hard time finding actual weights from different wheel manufacturers... sure is a lot of chrome out there. Going to be running 17s all around 275/40s all around, I'm of the group that promotes 17s at the track. I saw a guy at Road Atlanta in September with a 350z running 17 275/40s all around with 5Zigen FN10RCs. Need around 15lbs a wheel.
Not really looking for bling, need performance, strong and light wheel.

Thanks for any info.

If you're wondering, other mods include Hotchkis sways front and rear, Injen CAI, purchased and soon to be installed StopTec 13" brake kits all around, purchased and soon to be installed Tein Flex coilovers with EDFC, oil baffle pan.

I run at Road Atlanta, VIR, Rockingham

Thanks again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
hey where do you live me and my mom Track every now and then......Barber, Sebring, Moroso,....how good is Road Atl?

there are tons of light wieght wheels tp choose from are you just looking for perfomance pec wheels or do you wan performance and style..........

if you want performance and style:
volk -goood size for saving wieght 18"
works
nismo
enkei
BBS
Ruff Racing

just a few companies

for sizes:
18x8.5/18x9 for the fronts
18x9/18x9.5 or 18x10/18x10.5 for the rears

·
Registered
305 Posts
hey was that Z you saw in Sept silver with black FN10RCs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey was that Z you saw in Sept silver with black FN10RCs
Hi Zilvia,
I was at RoadAtlanta Oct 7-9, 2005, I was the blue 350Z. Not sure what event you're referring to in September. I was there with the Peachtree BMW group. They run there about 3 to 4 times a year, a good group to run with. Road Atlanta is one of my favorite tracks besides VIR, Laguna Seca. I believe I know who you were talking about, the silver Z with the FN10RCs. I spoke with him a bit about his mods.
Sounds like you're near Florida, Alabama? Based on the tracks you mention. I'm in NC. I'd like to check out Barber and Sebring some day. I would highly recommend RoadAtlanta, one of the most dynamic tracks around. It's highly gratifying being able to negotiate, hard braking and uphill right hander at turn 1, going into 2 and 3 is a great opportunity to gain on folks (people tend to go into this too slow), the esses going into turn 5 very technical, turn 6 and 7 is a good spot to gain, exit speed at turn 7 is crucial if you want to pass on the back straight, going ballz out through turn 9 and keeping it floored as you crest the hill with a slow right into downhill braking will test your skills (and brakes), and what can you say about turn 12 other than you better get it right or regret it with less than optimal speed onto the front straight (you will get passed if you f-up exit speed out of turn 12).
http://www.roadatlanta.com/trackmap.lasso

As for wheels, I'm more of a performance guy and was looking for wheel weights to combine with tire weight, rotor weight, etc. Seems that wheel manufacturers rarely post wheel weight. I want the wheels to look nice but performance is on my mind. Honestly, the performance wheels in black look good to me, I'm not a shiny wheel kind of guy. Let's just say I like eating up M3s on the track. I'm putting Stoptech BBK 13" rotors and TEIN Flex coilovers for the 2006 season. Want to top this off with 17" 275s all around and need light weight wheels, tires to reduce unsprung weight. Looking forward to it being a potent package. Will work with these for a year and add more track mods for 2007. My Z is a dedicated track car as I have another vehicle the rest of the time. I purposely took 2 years on the track with close to stock setup and am now ramping up track mods.

Anyways, thanks for the reply and I would highly recommend RoadAtlanta.
Check out www.trackschedule.com for 2006 events. 2006 calendar isn't updated yet. I'm hoping it is soon.
Later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts