Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,

I didn't want to mix the dicussion with the other thread, so I thought I'd start a new one for this niche topic ;)

I am very close to buying a Z-car, looked at one in Sydney y'day and liked it... has a/market wheels, exhaust, other goodies, sunset colour and good price.

But I am looking for a 2nd set of wheels, and want to get an idea for how much that would cost me, but have never purchased wheels before (for my Honda I bought them off a friend). I am also looking at fitted them with sticky tyres, purely for the track.

For the wheels, I am looking for cheap, lightweight, SIMPLE black 5 spoke wheels. Does anyone know where I can get them?

This is similar to what I am looking for:
screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/kazera/swap/kazera_kz_a_bml_ci3_l.jpg');}" />

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
They are a nice looking wheel.

Not sure where you can get cheap, light wheels that are strong enough for track use (since they to be mutally exclusive) but I believe Ozzy Tyres have their own brand of ultralight wheels.

I was planning on getting Rays ultra-light wheels, but they're not cheap. :(

If I can find wheels like the Kazera ones above in the size and offset I want, but with gold spokes instead, I'd be very interested.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[/quote]

Simplicity is cheap. It's when you get "bling" on wheels that the price goes up. A nice sturdy set for the track would be perfect! :) But so far, everywhere i looked it's a choice of Sour Bling with Rice!!!! :doh:

Just had a look at Ozzy... this wheel looks **** nice! :) (esp. for the sunset colour car)

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/images/mag/mag_41_67_bg.jpg');}" />

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Originally posted by Iggy_Type_R@Apr 10 2005, 05:15 AM
Simplicity is cheap. It's when you get "bling" on wheels that the price goes up.

Well, would you consider these simple?

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/datas2/GRAM/020_57PRO/01.jpg');}" />

Because I can tell you now that they're not cheap.

They are, however, damned light. They're the same series of Rays Engineering wheels that are optional for the 350Z, although a different style, so the 20% lighter (comparing the Nissan 18" wheel with the Rays one) should be pretty close to the mark.

I've picked up a Gram Lights 17x7" rim before, and you can pretty much hoist it with your fingertips.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[/quote]

Ok I should clarify, I mean LIGHT, not FEATHERWEIGHT. :)

Ultimately, an extra 20kgs is not going to make a diff on my times... besides, it'll be better if I drop the 20kgs off the waist line rather at the 4 corners!!! :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
On the circuit, I'd say that 20kgs (especially in unsprung weight) would definitely make a different on your times. I doubt you'd save that much with ultra-light wheels, but there's still a noticable amount. :D

I haven't heard any personal testimonials on the quality of the Ozzy Tyres rims. All I can do is point out what I've seen on their web site and magazine ads. It might be an idea to drive out there and have a look / feel of the rims.

The other issue with the cost of those wheels is that Rays Engineering are Japan's version of Simmons / BBS, which as one of the premiere aftermarket wheel manufacturers, attracts one **** of a premium. Mind you, it means you know that they're manufacturered right.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I think Iggy is just after another set of wheels for the track ... nothing too fancy. I'm sure he's be happy with a set of 2nd-hand OME 18" wheels if somone here would be willing to sell them to him. Is anyone selling at the moment?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Does anyone know if the 17" wheels will fit over the Brembos?

I don't think they will, but has anyone actually tried it?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[/quote]
When I was talking to Ozzy Wheels guy, he said not even all 18" fit the brembos... in fact none of the ozzy wheels fit on a 350Z track! :doh:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I guess that means I'm not doing a brake upgrade to the Z33 Brembos then, since I want to keep my 17's.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think the stock 17" wheels clear the brembos. A lot of track and AutoX guys in USA use 17" wheels at the track since they can use cheaper tires and reduce some weight. A popular choise for the track guys are 17" Enkei RPF1 with brembos, but you need to get the right offset.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
A lot of track and AutoX guys in USA use 17" wheels at the track since they can use cheaper tires and reduce some weight.

I know that this is a bit off topic here, but I don't see how 'smaller wheels reduce weight'. Yes the wheel is smaller and hence lighter, but at the same time you need bigger (ie. taller) tyres which will add weight. From what I can see whatever weight you save on the wheels due to the size, you will gain on the tyres as they need to 'make up' for that size deficit.

ps. The OME 18" wheels are 12kg each and each tyre to go on it is anopther 12kg.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm sure I read a thread a while ago stating that some people in the US have upgraded their brakes to Brembos off the Track model and kept using there stock 17" wheels / tyres combo. Even saw pics od the 17's over the Brembos in the thread.
So if you were looking to upgrade gradually ie brakes first and then aftermarket wheels later, you could still use the OEM wheels and tyres over Brembos, while saving for new wheels.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Maybe I should see if Nuff wants to do a brake swap (with cash adjustment) and see if anyone notices when he tries to sell his Track without the gold calipers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.