Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest issue of Wheels has a comparo of the 350Z Track and Alfa GT. Not a bad read (even though it's pretty consistent with all the other write ups).

They managed 6.4sec to 100kph, 14.1sec to 160kph and 14.3sec @164kph over 400m out of the Zed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
14.3sec is not to shabby for stock, must be the 04 cars are closer to the 206kW claimed power.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
14.3sec is not to shabby for stock, must be the 04 cars are closer to the 206kW claimed power.

Yeah, not bad with 2 people on-board. Though, if I remember correctly, 14.3sec has been achieved a few times by the local mags since the release of 350Z. Just like 6.4sec to 100kph.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
DavidM - last time there was a comparo between Z and Alfa GT (probably in Motor mag), the GT hung with the Z in a straight line, with similar 0-100km/h times, despite the writer stating that the Z had it all over the GT.

How did the GT rate this time around - with differnt mag / driver?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did the GT rate this time around - with differnt mag / driver?

Similar results/comments with the 350Z being in a different leauge in every respect. Though the numbers for the Alfa GT were pretty impressive considering that it wights only ~40kg less than the 350Z and is 30kW down on power.

This is what they squeezed out of the Alfa:
- 0-60kph = 3.2sec
- 0-100kph = 6.9sec
- 0-160kph = 14.9sec
- 400m = 14.8sec @ 159kph

0-160kph in less than 15sec is nothing to be sneezed at.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Read that mag. The Alfa is certainly a sweet ride & almost as quick as the zed (straight line) but z all over it in twisties.
The alfa is certainly better put together on the inside in terms of quality
but has to because of 79990.00 list price.

Beautiful seats though!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Not bad times for a FWD. But it is ugly as sin compared to the Z and from what I read you need to work very hard in the corners with the Alfa to try keeping up with the Z when its driven at 8/10ths capacity.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But it is ugly as sin compared to the Z

That's interesting that you say that. I know that 'beauty' is a personal thing, but I find the GT stunning.

what I read you need to work very hard in the corners with the Alfa to try keeping up with the Z when its driven at 8/10ths capacity.

In one of the UK mags they had the 350Z and GT compared and they had both of them on the track. I think the Alfa was 3sec per lap slower.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I really like the look of the Alfa from the rear, very sexy!
But it's front is pretty fugly.
This is the same that I feel for the zed!
Love the rear hate the front!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
DavidM - There is not a new Alfa on the market that does anything for me in the looks department. People tell me that the new GTV is sexy, but I just cannot see it. I think the old GTV is a better looking car than the new model. Good thing that we all have differnt tastes, otherwise the world would be a very boring place.

Mickyboy - I love the look of the Z especially from the front - love the wide open bumper cutout, the lights in the sloping bonnet and especially the flared guards - they look very aggressive. I think the rear end looks good, but not quite up to the standard of the front end treatment.

·
Registered
562 Posts
mickyboy, so how long did you own your car? ;)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the same that I feel for the zed! Love the rear hate the front!

hehe, and even more different tastes :) I love the front of the Zed, but do not like the back very much .... certainly my least favourite part of the car.

There is not a new Alfa on the market that does anything for me in the looks department.

Very interesting ... I really like the GT and 147. I don't mind the rest of the Alfa range in terms of looks. What do you think of the new (Bangled) BMWs? Me, I can't stand the look of them ... Z4, 7 series and 6 series are for me some of the ugliest cars on the road. Well, it's just the front and back on the 6 series that really agrivates me. The 5 series is nice from the distance, and don't llike the front and rear details from close up.

·
Registered
785 Posts
lOVE THE 5 SERIES BMW, only the latest model. I nearly bought one instead of the zed. But I just fell in love with the zed and saved myself $40K...may still get one someday, especially the M5...awesome.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I really do not like the Bangle designed Beamers. The Z4 is hideous - from every angle!

I don't mind the 7 series except for the rear end treatment which irks me no end and the front lights are a little ordinary in their design.

The 5 series actually looks good except for the side panel extension of the front lights - god I hate that! What's actually worse is the convex interior dash - BMW have totaly lost the plot with the interior packaging!

The 6 series is quite a sexy shape side on. It is let down again by a poor front headlght design and a very poor rear end - I especially don't like how the boot is vertical (why add a sharp line to a curvateous design?) and the boot sits too high also.

From what I have seen of the upcoming 3 series, it should be a sweet design, like previous 3 series models.

I am not a big fan of the 1 series either.

Overall, BMW have not retained any similarities on their front or rear designs (especially wrt lights) and if it wasn't for the kidney bean grill and blue and white propellar, you'd be hard pressed to recognise that the different series designs came from the same manufacturer.

I was never a huge fan of Mercedes, but I am hugely impressed with the exterior designs of all their C, E and S class models - very sexy and elegant. I'd take a luxary Merc over a Beamer from a looks perspective, but I'd take a Lexus LS400 from a value for money perspective, even though its exterior design is not a sexy looking as the Merc.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My ultimate car would be the new corvette C6.
I wish that they would becoming to Oz, but only a pipe dream.
The 7.0 LS2 coming next year would be awesome.
Imagine that engine (even the 6.0 ltr LS2) in the zed!
Now that would really be 'Lust then Love'
Maybe I've got to move to the states?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
micky - if you've got a hankering for a nice big V8 in the Z33, the VH45 (which powers the Infiniti Q45) slots in.

People have bored them out to 6.0L without any other cam etc mods and still gotten good power out of them - I'd always thought about dropping a 5.7L VH-block V8 into a Z33 and keeping the "350" moniker. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts