Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Touring is vibrating at highway speeds (approx 80MPH). I also noticed there are about 10 wheel weights on my rear driver side wheel. Is there a factory specification of how many wheel weights that can be put on the vehicle? I'm suspecting that the car was delivered with some bum wheels on it.

Please help!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Take it in if it is vibrating, it will only get worse.

On the question of wheel weights though, each tire needs what the dynamic balancer determines it needs when the tires are mounted.

Usually the cheaper the tire, the more weight you need to balance it. I have never owned tires that need as much weight as the 350 stock tires do. This may be because of how heavy 17s and 18s are compared to the smaller 10", 13" and 15" I was running on my previous cars.

The least weight I have ever had was a 1/4 oz on 3 out of 4 of my Yokohama A008s on Minispeed Downton 13x7 wheels. All four needed the weights directly across from the valve stems, go figure.

Chris

·
Registered
483 Posts
You might have a tire that is feathering.

THe rims on the Z are cheap wheels and you have big 18" tires, harder balance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your input.

I took it to the dealer yesterday, and they found out that one of my rear wheels was out of balance. They removed the 10 wheel weights and put 5 new ones on a different spot on the wheel.

Now, my car drive fine at high speeds!!!

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
[/quote]

Yeah, that just means the person who balanced the wheel from the factory was bad at it..

The sticky weights are a PITA to do sometimes, but if you've done it before, its a snap. They are each 1/4 a gram each, so at most you put on 4 at once, then spin the wheel again to see what happens to the balance.

Sounds like the guy saw a reading of like 1.75 and slapped 7 of em on there and called it a day..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts