Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard several members say they wax their wheels regularly. Is this something that most people do on a regular basis? As a Z enthusiast, I obviously want to do what is best to protect my car. How often should this be done, and where is the service generally offered?

On another topic....I have also read that others use clay bar to strip the surface of miscellaneaous grime, dirt, etc. prior to waxing. Does waxing without doing this ruin the surface in any way? I only ask because I have contacted several detailers in my area and they have said they do not offer clay bar services previous to waxing. Is clay bar essential prior to waxing? I would rather pay to have it done vs. use the clay bar myself, simply because I know professionals would probably do a better job. But, I was wondering if using a clay bar is noticeably better.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
You can do both of these procedures yourself...less risk of an uh-oh.

You can use most cleaner waxes or polymers (Zaino) on the clear coated finish of your wheels. Just wipe a small amount of the product on the surface of the wheel, allow to dry and buff out with a microfiber or 100% cotton towel.
Depending on your driving habits, once every other month should be plenty. All this application is really going to do is allow the brake dust to release from the wheel easier when you do a normal wash.

There is a product called "Wheel Wax" marketed expressly for this...a seach of this forum should turn up a vendor for the product.

Clay bar does remove particles trapped in the surface of your paint that normal washing will not. It is also recommended for removing tar, bug spatter and overspray on an "as needed" basis.

It's a good idea to clay the entire car once per year to get at the trapped contaminants. It is not hard to do...takes about 45 minutes to clay a Z. Here are the directions from the pinned Dr Bonz Zaino Protocol...you don't have to use Z7 as the lubricant...any good car wash soap will do or you can use detailing spray.

-Clay the car with a solution of Z-7 and water. A quart of water and a cap ful of Z-7 should do it. Use a clean spray bottle and do small sections at a time. Make sure the clay glides over the paint easliy and does not stick. If it does, spray on more lubricating solution! Continue to knead the clay to keep a clean, fresh surface against the paint. DO NOT DROP the clay! If you do, discard that bar and get another.

hth....good luck

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have used Poorboys Wheel Sealant on my Volk GTC's and all of my other car's wheels and I love it. It cuts down on the brake dust sticking to the wheels and makes cleaning up so much easier.

Here is what I use:

Poorboys Wheel Sealant

I would highly recommend claying before doing any type of polishing. The claying will remove all of the contaminants and fallout from your clearcoat. It will make the surface very smooth and slick. I usually clay twice per year. There are different abrasive levels of clays. For my twice a year claying I use the Mothers or Clay Magic clay bars.

If I want to spot clay I have been using the new Sonus Ultra Fine Detailing Clay click. Its not as abrasvie as say the Mothers or Clay Magic.

Here is an article on the Sonus clay and a How To Clay Properly.

Sonus Detailing Clay Article

How to Clay

Hope it helps...

·
Registered
9,619 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Great DIY if you have the time. I've only done it once. I need to find or buy a wheel spray like Terri posted and go that route. I did it the hard way the first time and took all the wheels off, sprayed them with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water, let it soak, then scrubbed the inside down with a brush. Then I sprayed it with water, let it dry, coated it with wax, and finally wiped them clean.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
i used Z-2 several times on my wheels, i think they look sweet after they are applied. very nice shine.

wheel wax is just annoying to be honest, its too thick, and leaves several marks and **** behind it. good for stock wheels only. not after market, especially if u have a deep dish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts