1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience with these?

What types are better?

Is there anything to watch out for?

I believe insurance companies dont like them, but what do they like.

These look like the Go:

http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...products_id=385

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/images/hr.jpg');}" />

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Murray:

This type of wheel spacer is the ONLY LEGAL one.... insurance company shouldn't have any issue with those since they bolt onto the hub securely! That means when you take your wheels off, they won't just slide out...

I had those on my car and they are perfect for the look!!! I will recommand that though if you don't want to go into wheels... they makes the car looks a lot tougher!

I did 15mm front and 25mm rear... but people said that with 20mm all around will look a lot better!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Richie,

Ive already got 19" wheels which im putting back on my car, my offsets are a little different to what people are running in the states so I may need the 5mm ones for my next mod.

Is it safe to run different spacing front to rear? Wouldnt that play with the cars intended dynamics?

Thanks
Murray

[/quote]

·
Registered
303 Posts
Last time i did the research on the my350z forum it is illegal in NSW in any form unless it was fitted to the car stock from the factory.

I.e. in NSW you could void your insurance if you use them.

I'd be happy to hear that i'm wrong since over a year ago but I can't see the RTA having the common sense to do a reversal.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'd say nothing....

It's what the insurance company does if you have an at fault accident that worries me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
OK Murray a word of warning.

5mm, 10mm & 15mm spacers are all "DRS" type (refer to H&R website http://www.hrsprings.com/site/products/index.html ). What this means is that you actually have to remove all your wheel studs and replace them with longer ones (supplied by the manufacturer).

The 25mm are "DRM" type and use your standard lugs to bolt onto and then supply additional lugs within the spacer to bolt your wheel onto.

The DRM types are a very simple install and look great on the car. I have a set of 15mm on the rear (old one's when they used to be DRM type) and they look fantastic. I was going to install these on the front's and put 20mm on the rear. I have them in the garage ready to install but it is just too difficult a DIY for me I'm afraid.

If you want pictures let me know and I can take some for you.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You can buy them from www.tcca.com.au and will set you back around AU$200 a pair. When I bought mine the studs that were supplied were incorrect since they had no data on the Z. I bought nismo studs for the front. I have the DRS 15mm on the front and DRM 25 on the rear with no issues.

To keep the handling true I would suggest the same spacer front and rear but can tell you now that a 25mm spacer on the front will not fit.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
80 Posts
[/quote]

What he said, on both counts. No legal according to the RTA unless OEM.

You've basically got no chance of being caught on the street (unless you're unlucky enough to get snared in raid and even then I don't think you'd have a huge chance) but if you have an at fault accident and the car is towed...

Your insurer will love you for giving them a way out, especially if a big claim.

·
Registered
235 Posts
HERE WE GO AGAIN -

Yes, they're illegal - so's anything that changes induction, OR EXHAUST, and so-on.

I've had 15 and 25 mm spacers on for ages now, AND I RECKON ITS ONE OF THE BEST MODS YOU CAN DO!

The car turns in faster and the appearance is HUGE! Looks FAT!

And I list the things on the insurance list of "extras" and never been even queried.

And for the insurer to refuse a claim, THE THINGS MUST BE PROVED TO HAVE BEEN A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR in the accident.

They actually make the likelyhood of rollover LESS likely. ! !

My two bob's worth - go for them.

(Dunno why H doesn't put "em on - goddness knows, red needs help!)

There's pictures over on the dark side somewhere.

FRIZZLE

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Originally posted by frosty@May 19 2005, 05:28 PM
(Dunno why H doesn't put "em on - goddness knows, red needs help!)

Frosty, I don't think they make 80mm spacers :rolf2: Sorry H. Couldn't resist

·
Registered
297 Posts
[/quote]

Partly correct. The aspect an insurer will look at will be "Would we have accepted insurance on this vehicle had we known of the modification". If the answer to this is no, and the insurer can prove it (that's the difficult part), you're stuffed.

A "Contributing factor in the accident" can relate to driving with a high blood alcohol limit, ie if you're stationary at lights and someone runs in to the back of you you can still make a legitimate claim as the alcohol did not contribute to the accident.

As an aside (or is it back on topic???). If you're interested in a 20mm set of spacers Murray, I'm more than happy to sell them to you.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
[/quote]

What size are those spacers?? I wanna make the wheel exactly flush with the fender, or slightly behind the fender. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
you're interested in a 20mm set of spacers Murray, I'm more than happy to sell them to you.

How many have you got and how come you're selling them?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts