1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friendly Nissan workshop manager advised me not to get
wheel alignment unless they do it to new specs and MUST
RESET THE VDC thereafter.

Be advised to check alignment regularly or risk the dreaded tyre roar.

Or better still, put 245's front and rear and swap them periodically.

Handles better with the 245's @ front, anyway.

WEREZ 'e BEAN?

:flush:

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have been digesting this for the last hour or so. Personally I think that the Nissan manager has just BS'd thru his teeth!

How can they reset VDC? Perhaps they could reprogram it , change parameters for how, why, when it cuts in. But to link it to new specs for wheel alignment, WTF! Think about it, how the F--- would VDC react so differently to a few slight changes to a wheel alignment? I say slight because how different could they be?

Frosty, if you can get the new wheel specs to compare (if there are new ones because that was probably cod liver oil as well!) then we could see.

I think it may have just been BS (big BS) to give you an answer for the feathering issue. Some wanker tech who might have thought that you won't question it, or did you wear a dress when you went there?

Joking!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Frizzle - I too find it hard to believe. If it was neccesary to reset VDC after each wheel alignment, surely Nissan would have made this info public a lot earlier so that people who change rubber know to get VDC reset.

As you know I have a Touring model and my TC was not affected after putting on new rubber and realigning.

Has anyone with a Track that has changed rubber or simply done a wheel alignment and not reset VDC, had any problems with VDC????

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
That is true. If it's need to be reseted, we'll be seeing the Instruction or somewhere in 350z forum from World wide or United state.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Has anyone with a Track that has changed rubber or simply done a wheel alignment and not reset VDC, had any problems with VDC????

Yeah, I have done both. 1st time I got the car aligned I did not get the VDC re-set. Though, when I had the new springs put in (and run more camber), I got it re-set and but did not notice any difference.

I'm getting the car aligned again soon, and I'm not getting the VDC re-set this time unless I notice something unwanted afterwards.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've had a few alignments without reset..no dramas here!

·
Registered
176 Posts
It just amazes me at the lack of knowlage some service staff have.
The only adjustments that can be done on the front suspension of a 350Z is the toe adjustment.
How the electronic VDC system could work out that the toe had been adjusted
+ or - a few mm is beyond me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SHITE! I didn't mean to stir up a storm!

I'll be seeing the service dept tomorrow to get the 50k service, so I'll ask the
pertinent questions.

I'm of a mind that he said it had to be "centered".

ps - what's the good of an ALIGNMENT if you can't ALIGN - just toe?

Must be able to align or you'd go sideways after a little bump on a gutter or something?

FROZZLE

(Harry knows - where are you H?)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
ps - what's the good of an ALIGNMENT if you can't ALIGN - just toe?

The rear also has camber and toe adjustement. Though, yes, it is a shame that Nissan did not make the suspension more adjustable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The VDC function recieves no information from the front & rear suspension.
The VDC controler recieves information from the steering angle sensor, brake pressure sensors,wheel speed sensors & yaw rate sensor (G sensor)
From this information it can tell the amount of oversteer or understeer. This information is then used to improve vehicle stability by controlling the braking & engine power to the wheels.
Major replacement of steering & suspension parts after an accident may require the the steering angle sensor to be centralised but just changing the toe in settings by a few mm does not require a reset.

·
Registered
352 Posts
[/quote]

Shizzle, I'm still around!

I must admit though I can't stand the constant bickering that seems to have overtaken this place. I find it better to not get involved and let those who want to carry on carry on.

I bought the car to get me to and from work and the occasional "spirited" drive so I simply can't be bothered with all the ****.

Anyway, back to your point!

I haven't heard anything like that at all, I will talk to Leigh tomorrow as I'm dropping my car in for a service. I can vouch for Leigh though, he does know what he is talking about. Perhaps he has been given the wrong info, farked if I know.

I, like you, have 245's all round and haven't had any issues at all with the VDC.

As always

H

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nice to see you both Harry and Frosty! The place just isn't the same when you guys aren't around. :)

We should meet for a cuppa sometime soon.

soz..a bit off topic.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Harry
Have to agree there has been a lot of pointless arguing going on lately.
But I could not let Frosty's statement MUST RESET THE VDC go by without comment.

According to the Nissan workshop manual the steering angle sensor neutral position should be adjusted after removing/installing any of the following. VDC/TCS/ABS control unit,steering angle sensor, steering components, suspension components, tyres, or after adjusting wheel alignment.

Now as this adjustment cannot be done without a Consult ll unit it just seems ludicrous to me that you have to take it back to the dealer when you change shocks, tyres, or do a wheel alignment.

Its a lot like their statement. Synthetic oils not recommended.

I would love to know why it has to be reset & whats wrong with syn oil

·
Registered
352 Posts
I certainly wasn't having a shot at you Peter.

Zuff, I'm always arounnd. I check in at least once a day. Like I said earlier though I just can't be shagged getting into all the **** that certain posters seem to get into. It seems as though people are a lot more pedantic now and I really don't see the point?

Live and let live!

As always

H

PS. I'm always up for a coffee (time permitting)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dunno the reason why - like you said, The manual says to do so, and I've seen it on the console instructing to do so.

For my money, I'll get the thing done according to the book, and then there's no argument when things go wrong - ie, tyre feathering, tyre wear, bearings and so-on.

BTW - there's revised specs for the suspension - who but Nissan is gonna know those?

HARRY - why the black Rays - didn't you like the grey?

My shout, Zuffy and anybody else - sorry I missed the turbo day - I'd love to see some of the guys. Bike show came up the same day.

SCHIZZLE

:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for that Shizzle.

Dead set, I've worked the last 15 days straight and every time I have gone to wash the car it's rained.

Leigh will look after that for me, I hope!

I'm getting them to check the VDC as well while mine is in, just in case.

As always

H

·
Registered
352 Posts
I picked up my car today after the service and the official description of what Shizzle was talking about is,

Steering Angle Sensor Neutral Position Calibration.

I had mine done as I only recently had a wheel alignment done. The calibration cost me nothing so why not.

BTW I'm not advocating anyone gets it done, nor do I particular care if you do or don't, simply passing on what I've (and Bill) been told by Nisshit!

As always

H

Shizzle, yes that was my gleaming red Z with silver rays at the roundabout. Leigh washed the car for me as well!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts