Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious about the oil pressure in the 2004 Z. Mine runs about 80 to 90 when first cranked up. It then drops to around 60 lbs at speed, where it stays most of the time, unless under acceleration or at idle. At idle, mine goes to around 20 to 30 lbs. Since I am new to the "Z", this has me sort of concerned, as my other vehicle prior to this alway had higher oil pressures by gauge. The dealer service manager says that this is the way Z motors run. I dont feel too confident in his word after my last service where they left the cap off the radiator overflow tank....is this right or not?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Originally posted by Rich@Sep 16 2004, 05:17 PM
I was just curious about the oil pressure in the 2004 Z.  Mine runs about 80 to 90 when first cranked up. It then drops to around 60 lbs at speed, where it stays most of the time, unless under acceleration or at idle.  At idle, mine goes to around 20 to 30 lbs.  Since I am new to the "Z", this has me sort of concerned, as my other vehicle prior to this alway had higher oil pressures by gauge.  The dealer service manager says that this is the way Z motors run.  I dont feel too confident in his word after my last service where they left the cap off the radiator overflow tank....is this right or not?

I have the same numbers...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Depends on the rpm of course but I'm usually around 60+psi. During ~2k it's hovering around 30ish. I did one time burn quite a bit of oil, and to redline the engine never topped 35psi, so if that ever happened to you... check your oil

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Im getting the basic same #'s as you too

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have about the same oil pressure numbers but on the lower side. Idle is about 20 psi cruise at 65 mph is just below 60 psi and hard acceleration is just below 80 psi. All of these numbers are with the dipstick showing full on a cold engine. I'm wondering how the weight of the oil would impact oil pressures. I'm running Mobil 1 5W-30 and I read somewhere that the recommended weight is Japan is 5W-40. The climate in the northeast is similar to Japan so maybe 5W-40 would be better? What would be the impact on oil pressure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was a bit concerned also, but it looks like we are shoing the exact same numbers

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have a different story, mine gets up to 120 at times in the morning around 4K rpm when I am driving it before it really warms up. it usually is hanging around 70 during normal driving and it gets down to around 40 during idle. Its a little higher than I would like but so far it hasn't been a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts