Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some pondering lately fellas. I have my '03 base C/S Z and love it. But I am over here in Germany. I was thinking I could have the Army ship it over here and sell it for more than it's worth (since Z's are rare here in Germany, especially US Spec). With that money I could buy a German BMW or Mercedes and take it back to the states and sell it for a lot more than I bought it for here (since the BMWs and Benz's don't cost as much as they do in the states. With that money I could go buy a 2005 Track model. What should I do guys??

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

I've always been told that cars aren't an investment...maybe it's wrong in your case.

Have you calculated shipping expenses in there along with trade-in value over there?

If I were going to do your plan, I would just sell the Z over there before I come back and then just come back with the cash. Less travel expenses and you won't have the hassle of trading in a German car.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did just buy the car, but if I keep it, I don't want to bring it as the salt will eat the car alive. I see too many cars around here looking shitty because of the weather and salt here. The shipping costs would be free, as the Army would pay for it. (That's the bonus of being shipped overseas). And don't get me wrong, I am absolutely in love with my car. Thanks for any input. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Does the US spec Z have advantages over the European version that would make it a profitable venture?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Remember that you have to meet specs and standards for each country. Not all German built cars are street legal here. And you'll probably pay a ton of import duties into Germany.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I don't know what to do. The car will sit for 2 years if I keep it, because it doesn't belong here in Germany, I don't want to risk it. The only thing I can think of is keeping it and just buying parts and have them stockpiled ready to be put on when I get home. I mean it will be 2007 and the car will be an 03 with 19k on the odo. :banghead: I'm stuck here.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
****, my last tour in germany i wish i had my Z then( had a 1997 Camaro SS). ripping open on the autobahn is just what i want to do with this car since it is alot better cruising at high speeds than the camaro was

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Try working your hustle....better than letting the car sit for 2 yrs.

Is there a way to find out if anyone's interested & THEN ship it?....

My Mom bought a beemer in Germany & had it shipped back years ago...worked out fine for her, but she kept the car for awhile.

Do some homework...it'd be worth it if you could get into a track...or make a few G's.

Remember, the whole time your Z sits, it depreciates....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lionkiller you definitely have a point. I will be back stateside in July so I think I;ll keep it until at least then. I have to first see how much I would make from a BMW or Benz. The other thing too, is I could just sell the car outright in the states when I head to Iraq, and with all the money I make in Iraq, I could come home and put a nice down payment on a brand new track model.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of price you'd have to pay to have it sold overseas and again when you get the BMW, but it sounds like it's definitely worth at least researching a bit. If you can pull it off and still make a profit, you should definitely do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts