Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best size wheel to run on a 350Z? Performance comes first, but looks, of course, are a close second. 19s are nice, but do you sacrifice traction to the lo-pro tires? Are 18s the way to go?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
What's the best size wheel to run on a 350Z? Performance comes first, but looks, of course, are a close second. 19s are nice, but do you sacrifice traction to the lo-pro tires? Are 18s the way to go?

profile has nothing to do with the contact patch.

18 or 19".. it's all a preference. You won't find a definitive answer.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
You dont sacrifice traction on 19s, they will be a little heavier than 18s, and tires cost a ton more. Expect a set of tires to run 1300+ mounted for 19s. I hate this more than anything. 19s look meaner, but 18s probably perform *slightly* better and cost a ton less. When I say slightly, I mean you probably will not feel the difference unless you are an experience racer.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
You dont sacrifice traction on 19s, they will be a little heavier than 18s, and tires cost a ton more. Expect a set of tires to run 1300+ mounted for 19s. I hate this more than anything. 19s look meaner, but 18s probably perform *slightly* better and cost a ton less. When I say slightly, I mean you probably will not feel the difference unless you are an experience racer.

Just a note: I was able to get a set of 19" bfg kdw mounted for under 1100$ But, I wholeheartedly agree with your point about cost offset.

18" has become the affordable 17" wheels of yesteryear.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So those Volk SF-Challenges....for the rear, the 18x11 is about the same price as the 19x10.5. It really is just personal preference at that point? What would you put on the front as far as width? Will putting a wider wheel on the front effect my stock handling?

BTW...I believe tire flex has a lot to do with traction? There's not much tire on a 19 inch wheel, causing what is there to be very stiff. That means not much flex which results in much less traction?...correct me if I'm wrong, but the theory seems logical... To an extreme, that's why you see drag cars running a 15 inch wheel with a massive tire right?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
So those Volk SF-Challenges....for the rear, the 18x11 is about the same price as the 19x10.5. It really is just personal preference at that point? What would you put on the front as far as width? Will putting a wider wheel on the front effect my stock handling?

You have to take into consideration the entire vehicle and what you are building it for. Some of these questions are only best answered by you, the owner and end user of the machine.

Take your time and do your research. I'm not sure what you have planned, or what you are going to be doing. Do you need the rubber that comes with that territory?

Only you can answer these questions. :) If you tell us more about your setup, perhaps we can make better recommendations.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take your time and do your research. I'm not sure what you have planned, or what you are going to be doing. Do you need the rubber that comes with that territory?

Only you can answer these questions. :) If you tell us more about your setup, perhaps we can make better recommendations.
Well I just got the car, so for the most part it is stock. I obviously put a heck of a lot of research into buying the car, (several years of saving, dreaming, and reading what people were doing in fact), and decided this was the best platform for me. I was [--] that close to buying an STi, but concluded a new Z would give me a more reliable car, at leaste through my college years.
So now, I just want to prep the car, as I was saying yesterday, but be smart about it so I never have to spend money on the same thing twice....just do it right the first time. I like the APS TT kit a lot, but something better may come out in the future....a more powerful single turbo maybe? Seems like APS has done their HW though... I just don't want to get down the road and start producing power, only to realize I'm going to have to replace the wheels I bought back in the day because they're not providing enough traction.
Long story short...I want to build very very fast car over the next few years and I want the wheels I am purchasing now to be able to handle it. :irock:
Thanks man! :yourock:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Well I just got the car, so for the most part it is stock. I obviously put a heck of a lot of research into buying the car, (several years of saving, dreaming, and reading what people were doing in fact), and decided this was the best platform for me. I was [--] that close to buying an STi, but concluded a new Z would give me a more reliable car, at leaste through my college years.
So now, I just want to prep the car, as I was saying yesterday, but be smart about it so I never have to spend money on the same thing twice....just do it right the first time. I like the APS TT kit a lot, but something better may come out in the future....a more powerful single turbo maybe? Seems like APS has done their HW though... I just don't want to get down the road and start producing power, only to realize I'm going to have to replace the wheels I bought back in the day because they're not providing enough traction.
Long story short...I want to build very very fast car over the next few years and I want the wheels I am purchasing now to be able to handle it. :irock:
Thanks man! :yourock:
just my opinion, please always remember this. :)

I would stick to 8.5" - 9.5" in the front for width and up to 10.5" in the rear. Unless you are going widebody, you don't really need bigger. If you slam the car on 10.5" , it will rub. So, obviously 11" will be more difficult. (you can always roll the fenders if you needed a bit more room)

As far as rubber, you should be able to stick at least 315's on a 10.5" wheel. That and a good LSD should be adequate for traction. Again, this is speculation as I have no idea on the power or suspension setup, et.c.

I'm sorry i cannot give you more accurate advice, as I don't want to say something and have it bite you in the ass if there is a descripency down the road.

My best advice to give you is not to put money into a car while you are in college. But I am sure you don't need me saying that . :)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just my opinion, please always remember this. :)

My best advice to give you is not to put money into a car while you are in college. But I am sure you don't need me saying that . :)
Ya good call man... BTW nice web sight and beautiful car. Ours look similar...blue rocking the FairladyZ badge...but I'm missing the wheels... haha, thanks for the help man.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Ya good call man... BTW nice web sight and beautiful car. Ours look similar...blue rocking the FairladyZ badge...but I'm missing the wheels... haha, thanks for the help man.

and the endless brakes *cough* :nana: :cheers:

:) no problem, any time man.

thanks for the compliments! :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and the endless brakes *cough* :nana: :cheers:
Haha yes of course. They're beautiful...
Now when you say they will "rub"...what are we dealing with...easy fix?
And rolling the fenders for extra room for 10.5" or 11"? Proffessionally I presume? Will it require re-painting?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Now when you say they will "rub"...what are we dealing with...easy fix?
And rolling the fenders for extra room for 10.5" or 11"? Proffessionally I presume? Will it require re-painting?

somewhat easy fix...

first let me explain better about the 10.5" and rubbing.

When I put the Zeal coilovers on, at first they were too low in the rear and it would rub on lateral g's over .4 (not a lot)

after raising them up about 20mm (yes haha, they were slammed at preset) I only get rubbing at .7 g's or more. (lateral, side to side) In other words now, I only rub on the track or drifting. Extreme tossing the car from left to right will also get a bid of rub. But, eh..

As it stands now, the rubbing doesn't bother me. But I do plan on getting this tool to take care of the fenders:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=...erID=323&KICKER

And best of all, it's on sale right now.

An excellent article describing the process:
http://www.bmwdiy.info/fender-rolling/

or you can just take a baseball bat to that new z of yours.... :) I didn't think so. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ahh very nice. That similar to a tool I've used in bikes before. Ya that does look so bad...
No baseball bats....

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So if I did go with the Volk SF Challenges on the back...18x11...you think they would rub? Fender rolling doesn't seem so bad, but do you think they will stick out? It's only an inch and a half wider than stock. I would like to wide body someday anyhow...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts