Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have about 1800 to spend and need advice on which mod i should do next,

i have my ssv manifold waiting to be installed although would like to do another mod to compliment it, so im thinking either a set of nismo r-tune cams or just fit the ssv and get it tuned with a utec.

what should i do??

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
have u done exhaust and high flow cats

i got very noticeable gains with those two mods on my car

but the UTEC will be my next performance mod. But im not sure there is anyone in Aus familiar with tuning the UTECs yet???

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah ive got a full exhaust system and a injen cai.

tipiace, i sent you a pm via my350 concerning the utec.

which would give me more power is what im concerned with the ssv with the utec or with a set of cams

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
so that was you

thanks for info dude

ill definitely get it tuned by subaru docklands, i trust the tuning work they do

what is the AUS price on the UTEC from turboxs Sydney?

i think with the cams you will need to tune the car again anyway. I dont think u can bolt on cams and get decent gains from them with the stock ecu

id go utec for sure. I wouldnt open the engine unless going F.I.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i called xsturbo and they said that the US unit is different to the oz spec unit and will not fit, so i guess thats our price.

have no idea what a tune will cost although im going to contact sti docklands soon and find out.

the r-tune cams dont require any adjustment to the ecu so i can run them without a tune, the only thing is installation cost, dose anyone know how much this would cost??

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
You will need the UTEC to tune your cams and your other mods so UTEC should be first.

FYI the Nismo R-Tune cams were made by Jim Wolf in the US not Nismo Japan. He made them then he made his, he made his to produce more power than the ones he made for Nismo USA. When you get to the cams stage I would go with the Nismo Japan Spec 1 or 2 cams like Richie has done. These will give much bigger gains and they have all the research and knowledge of Nissan Motorsports behind them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will the utec be sufficient enough to tune the nismo spec1/2 or would you need a standalone like richie's motec,

mchapman: i think i read somewhere that you have the tomei 268's is this correct, if so how are they, cost?, power, ect... thanks

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
will the utec be sufficient enough to tune the nismo spec1/2 or would you need a standalone like richie's motec,

mchapman: i think i read somewhere that you have the tomei 268's is this correct, if so how are they, cost?, power, ect... thanks
The Utec will be sufficient and when they release the VTC control software for the Utec you should buy the Nismo VTC pulleys and get it retuned which will result in nice torque gains at lower rpm. Motec would be great if you can afford as you can do this straight away but the cost might be prohibitive.

I ordered 268s ages ago, ive paid and there is no sign of them anywhere, the guy I ordered off might be overseas at the moment. I chose these over the Nismo cams because im going TT down the track so my requirements are different to yours. They are 268 in /268 ex so they will have a very peaky power band with notiabe losses in the bottom end, the Nismo Spec1 and 2 have larger intake duration than exhaust so that should spead the torque over a wider more usable area. I have installed a 3.9FD ratio to increase torque in the bottom end to fill the gaps the cams will create and my built motor will let me make the most of the cams increased rpm band. I will be running the 268s in NA mode for a while after I install them with my built motor. I paid about $1680?

If that UTEC price is RRP then you should be able to get it a bit cheaper when you buy it. Who did you get that price off? Did you call Turbo XS in Hornsby?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow the tomei 268s with a turbo set up man thats gona be crazy.
let us know how they are in na when you do the install

can you run the nismo cams (spec1/2) without the vtc pulley??

i spoke to Wayne Visser the Australian Sales Manager from TurboXS Australia
dont know if it was in hornsby, just got the number of the net.

yeah i think my next move will be to install the ssv like in the next 2 weeks, and then the utec.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
AP350,

You can definitely run Spec 1 and 2 cams without nismo VTC... but you will lose some torque at the low to mid range... and also with spec 1 and 2 cams, you might have some idle hunts too depending on the tuning, it makes the car nearly impossible to drive at the low rpm (a lot of time need to put into to get the idle right, else the car stalls out easily)... my idle with motec is quite alright now (besides when the engine is cold or not warm enough)... but we also tune the rpm to drop A LOT slower if you rev it up, else the engine will not be able to catch the rpm changes and stall out as soon as you clutch in (probably also due to my light weight flywheel)... it really depends on what you need and I think it is best to go for UTEC now with 1800 since it will cost a lot more with cams. Spec 1 with installation will be well over 2.5K without nismo VTC units and you will need the time for tuning to get the things right on the idle with those cams (took us around 1 to 2 weeks with motec) since they are quite wild... speaking from my experiences :)

And I also heard that nismo r-tune cams that offered in the states do not need any ECU tuning.... but I am not too sure if that's true or not though... and definitely with ECU tuning will be a lot better I would say!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i would like to stick with a mild set of cams ie jwt/nismo r-tune due to the cost factor of installing extreme cams.

but ill look into this more after ive done the ssv and utec install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts