Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to build a motor for my z. i have the turbonetics single turbo kit now. any suggestions on what pistons and rods to use?? any help would be good thanks in advance. :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
What are your power goals? Every piston and rod is made for a certain level/range.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking to run like 20lbs of boost

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Since no one is at those levels with the Turbonetics, what does that translate to in power?

PSI isn't linear in how much power you'll gain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont know why no one would not be there at 20 psi. i am running ten and i have a friend that runs twelve with no additional tuning. so 20 is not far off. if i have to add methanol injection or somthing to support it then so be it. i dont know the power i want in hp. i know that i want 20psi off this turbo and ill let you know the power it makes. basically my ? was simple what piston and rod combo are going to handle that type of boost?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by leakyZ@Sep 5 2005, 12:12 AM
i dont know why no one would not be there at 20 psi.  i am running ten and i have a friend that runs twelve with no additional tuning.  so 20 is not far off.  if i have to add methanol injection or somthing to support it then so be it.  i dont know the power i want in hp.  i know that i want 20psi off this turbo and ill let you know the power it makes.  basically my ? was simple what piston and rod combo are going to handle that type of boost?
[snapback]152552[/snapback]​

I don't think you understand...the peak efficiency of that paticular turbocharger (T60-1) may be 15-20 PSI...therefore you'll see a huge jump from 12 to 15. Which is why I said turbocharger PSI is not linear...you could reach a certain boost level that is at the turbocharger's most efficient range and jump in power...or not.

No one is at that power level yet.

Still can't tell you what piston and connecting rod combination will support that PSI, because no one is at hgiher than around 450 RWHP or at that high of PSI.

I would go with Arias pistons and Pauter connecting rods.

Arias pistons depend on what HP level you are shooting for...if it's over 550-600 RWHP, I recommend the extreme-duty version of this piston.

And for either, I recommend 8.6:1 compression ratio and .020 overbore if you are keeping the stock sleeves, otherwise... .040 overbore.

The Pauter rods will work for any power level the T60-1 can operate at.

Stay away from Carrillo A-Beams if you are going to be around 550 RWHP. They are called economy rods for a reason.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Given the fact that the single turbo may not be able to produce the level of boost to support your Horsepower goals in term of airflow, you may not opt to go to an 8.6:1 compression ratio. I think you may want to set your eyes on a nice set of 9.0:1 or even a stock 10.3:1 compression ratio and a nice forged rod such as a Corillo "H" beam if money is no factor, if your on a lower budget then Pauter should do the trick.The Problem you will encounter is reliable engine management so you do not detonate to pieces. We will be experimenting with the Utec which looks quite promosing as well as with the APs standalone when it is released.IMO a reflash alone will not do the trick at the HP levels youare seeking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for the info so far. i appreciate it, and i am looking into those rods now. between the 2 of you guys which compression piston would be better in your opinions.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by leakyZ@Sep 5 2005, 01:46 PM
thank you for the info so far.  i appreciate it, and i am looking into those rods now.  between the 2 of you guys which compression piston would be better in your opinions.
[snapback]152646[/snapback]​

8.6:1.

MANY go with 9.0:1 though. As far as differences...assuming two cars were exactly the same, only one had a lower compression ratio than another. The car with the lower compression ratio, would have to run more boost to achieve the same power as the car that has a higher compression ratio. The lower the compression ratio, the lower the detonation threshold, allowing you to run more boost safer, but, you have to increase the boost to achieve the same amount of power as a higher compression ratio.

That is very general and broad, but it may help you in your decision.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
9:1 cr
pauter / carillo rods
CP or JE pistons

blah blah..

tuning is your key to glory. You MUST find a standalone EMS that you can complete control and tune for longevity.

doesn't matter what else you've got going on if you can't tune it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by illz33@Sep 5 2005, 02:24 PM
pauter / carillo rods
CP or JE pistons

blah blah..

tuning is your key to glory.  You MUST find a standalone EMS that you can complete control and tune for longevity.

[snapback]152693[/snapback]​

I would agree with that somewhat, though the Ultimate eManage is a huge step forward, however, he wasn't asking what he should use to tune.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by Stang281+Sep 5 2005, 03:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-illz33
@Sep 5 2005, 02:24 PM
pauter / carillo rods
CP or JE pistons

blah blah..

tuning is your key to glory.  You MUST find a standalone EMS that you can complete control and tune for longevity.

I would agree with that somewhat, though the Ultimate eManage is a huge step forward, however, he wasn't asking what he should use to tune.
[snapback]152705[/snapback]​

Gald you would somewhat agree... :clap:

I don't really care that he wasn't asking what to use to tune. Too many people don't tune and then build more than one motor. So if he doesn't realize that tuning is the biggest element, than it doesn't really matter what parts he uses.

Ultimate Emanage hasn't been proven. A true standalone EMS such as the Vpro, Autronic, Hydra, etc.. **** if he's got the bank, go with Motec. Doesn't matter, as long as he tunes it. Better yet, has someone that knows what they are doing tune it.

I've been doing this for many years. It's my profession and the profession of my friends throughout the globe. Bottom line is that way too many people don't put enough money or faith into tuning it right.

And I did mention what parts I would use. I added with tuning. So I was replying to what he asked.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by illz33+Sep 5 2005, 03:04 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2005, 03:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-illz33
@Sep 5 2005, 02:24 PM
pauter / carillo rods
CP or JE pistons

blah blah..

[snapback]152705[/snapback]​

Gald you would somewhat agree... :clap:

I don't really care that he wasn't asking what to use to tune. Too many people don't tune and then build more than one motor. So if he doesn't realize that tuning is the biggest element, than it doesn't really matter what parts he uses.

Ultimate Emanage hasn't been proven. A true standalone EMS such as the Vpro, Autronic, Hydra, etc.. **** if he's got the bank, go with Motec. Doesn't matter, as long as he tunes it. Better yet, has someone that knows what they are doing tune it.

I've been doing this for many years. It's my profession and the profession of my friends throughout the globe. Bottom line is that way too many people don't put enough money or faith into tuning it right.

And I did mention what parts I would use. I added with tuning. So I was replying to what he asked.
[snapback]152707[/snapback]​

If you want to get technical, none have been proven on the 350Z. 2 years isn't enough.

Autronic would require switching to throttle-by-cable.

Yeah. 90% of going F/I on an N/A vehicle is tuning. But, I know from personal experience, when asking questions...having unasked questions addressed is annoying.

Chill with the attitude...my post wasn't hostile and I wasn't saying you didn't answer what he asked.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by Stang281@Sep 5 2005, 04:16 PM
If you want to get technical, none have been proven on the 350Z. 2 years isn't enough.

Yeah. 90% of going F/I on an N/A vehicle is tuning. But, I know from personal experience, when asking questions...having unasked questions addressed is annoying.

Chill with the attitude...my post wasn't hostile and I wasn't saying you didn't answer what he asked.
[snapback]152708[/snapback]​

Chill with the attitude?

You are instructing me to only answer what was asked and not to give any more input. Why?

I added that tuning is more important than the parts he buys.

The new autronic can do drive by wire. Check it out.

http://www.autronic.com/page_files/sm4_kit.htm

100% of FI on any vehicle whether it be turbocharged from the factory or not , is tuning.

Having people tell you what you can type on a public forum; is more annoying.

2 years is better than 2 minutes.

Tell you what.. Re-read what I wrote. And you tell me how that is considered to be annoying. I answered his question and provided additional information.

Peace.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by illz33+Sep 5 2005, 03:23 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Stang281
@Sep 5 2005, 04:16 PM

[snapback]152708[/snapback]​

Chill with the attitude?

You are instructing me to only answer what was asked and not to give any more input. Why?

I added that tuning is more important than the parts he buys.

The new autronic can do drive by wire. Check it out.

http://www.autronic.com/page_files/sm4_kit.htm

100% of FI on any vehicle whether it be turbocharged from the factory or not , is tuning.

Having people tell you what you can type on a public forum; is more annoying.

2 years is better than 2 minutes.

Tell you what.. Re-read what I wrote. And you tell me how that is considered to be annoying. I answered his question and provided additional information.

Peace.
[snapback]152713[/snapback]​

I'm not telling you to do anything...I just said it was annoying from my point of view.

I must be blind...I don't see where it says it works on TBW or TBC.

So...you can tune without parts....that would be 100%. :doh:

Exactly what I was talking about, chill the **** out. I'm not holding a gun to your head.

See...i'm going to ignore this part...you could've let what I said go...but, the attitude...nevermind.

Wow, you made a big deal out of nothing. :headshake:

You know who I am, right?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by illz33@Sep 5 2005, 01:24 PM
pauter / carillo rods
CP or JE pistons

blah blah..

tuning is your key to glory. You MUST find a standalone EMS that you can complete control and tune for longevity.

The Emanage is known to burn ignition coils and in my opinion is some what primative compared to the Utec or Unichip for that matter.The APs standalone looks to be even more promising..replacing the drive by wire would be ideal for high HP applications in my opinion, the drive by wire blows..

·
Registered
130 Posts
I haven't heard of any ultimate emanage ignition coils being burned.

BTW, a company is making a TBC kit for the 350Z...I can't remember what the name of the company is though. They did a custom single turbo setup on their shop's 350Z...Magnetti Marelli standalone, huge Garrett turbo, shooting for 1000rwhp on a dyno one day just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by Stang281@Sep 5 2005, 07:28 PM
I haven't heard of any ultimate emanage ignition coils being burned.

[snapback]152745[/snapback]​

Yeah it does, do a search on My350 and Motoring, Even shariff admited it does if you leave the key in the ignition position too long.This is with the NEWER E-manage Ulitmate that controls the timing also. This is the same problem with the J&S that I personally experienced.In my opinion , this is an engineering flaw and should not happen.There will be alot of new engine management solutions on the market within the next year.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by Stang281@Sep 5 2005, 07:49 PM

You know who I am, right?
[snapback]152726[/snapback]​

You don't want me to answer that.

Better yet, in your words, tell me who you are. And no, I don't mean your other login name.

Back on topic.

Doesn't really matter which of the major manufactures you go with. Just take the time and tune it carefully. Street, dyno, etc..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts