Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if there is a topic on this already..

I believe I should switch to Synthetic oil..correct? What kind? 10w30?? Any specific brand better than the rest?

Im a noob sorry, will i still get an oil change every 3000 miles??

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Well you don't HAVE to go synthetic. Weight will be determined depending upon where you live and the weather. 10w30 is good for summers here, but in winters HERE it's good to use 5w30, thinner viscosity for colder temps. With synthetic you can wait to change till like 5000 miles, but I still change every 3K. You will get a lot of opinions on brand, I use Mobile1, others use Amsoil, royal purple, you get the pic, brand is personal preference.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i live in TX, never really cold here.. So I imagine I could stick with 10w30 yr round..

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ah, c'mon now, Jinx! My Amsoil syn says 25k between changes. I plan on waiting 10k. But, 5k? Is that a bit of...overkill? Most dyno oils say at least 7.5k. Why are we so anal about oil change intervals? :cheers: I think it may be because we like to be ABLE TO DO SOMETHING to our cars besides check our tire pressures. :irock:

Bottom line: my Z? Amsoil 5w30 at 10k.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ah, c'mon now, Jinx! My Amsoil syn says 25k between changes. I plan on waiting 10k. But, 5k? Is that a bit of...overkill? Most dyno oils say at least 7.5k. Why are we so anal about oil change intervals? :cheers: I think it may be because we like to be ABLE TO DO SOMETHING to our cars besides check our tire pressures. :irock:

Bottom line: my Z? Amsoil 5w30 at 10k.
weeelllll, that's about right for synthetics. They certainly last longer than "natural" oils. But I wouldn't blindly go until some set milage. Always take into account the kind of driving you've been doing. Also, it certainly isn't tough to just pull out the dipstick and check the oil condition visually. If it's getting black, no matter how many miles are on it, you should change it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Agreed. My point is this: if you plan on changing every 3-5k - why spend the extra for synth?

I've never - in 40 years of owning 38 cars/trucks had an "oil related" failure!

Just my 2C.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I use synthetic and still change at 3k just cause.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Agreed. My point is this: if you plan on changing every 3-5k - why spend the extra for synth?

Just my 2C.
:cheers:

Because in my opinion it holds up better when hot. Ie: track situations. This is important to me.

And the same reason I put good fuel in the Z. Because it's important to me!! Remember when you were filling up with 87?? Shame on you!

[edit] I see you use Amsoil Euro Blend also. 25k interval. So you DO use good oil in the Z! :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Illz - you "love" your oil?

How "bad" have you got it? :cheers:

sw - you change it just "cause?"

Okay - I'll see if I can get a group rate for therapy! :rolf2:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have no recollection of using 87 octane in my Z. :rolf2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
everyone's opinions had some good points. let me ask a question....how many of you do your own oilchanges?? and how much does it cost compared to paying at a jiffy lube??

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
everyone's opinions had some good points. let me ask a question....how many of you do your own oilchanges?? and how much does it cost compared to paying at a jiffy lube??

I change my own oil. Or take it to a friends place to use the lift.

I would NEVER take my car to jiffy lube, etc.

Doesn't cost much to do it your self. :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
its not about the cost....its all about the time
Exactly. Sometimes I do my own, but on a rare occassion I have taken it to my dealer who uses Mobil 1 synth and charges around $40 to do it. It is cheaper for me to do it, but maybe once or twice I just took it in.

·
Registered
483 Posts
mobil 1 10w30 here. first oil change at 2000, second oil change was 5000 with mobil 1. I change my oil every 4000-6000 miles since, depending on what i do with the car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts