Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey doesnt one of Drift Alliance's premeare drifters have a Z with the a heavily moded VQ35DE??? Plus you want more a lot more torque than hp, so i wouldnt build that thing to put out monster power...maybe monster torque. Speaking of drifting they are coming out with a new fast and furious 3 about drifting, what will they ruin next?

-Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just because the SR20 has two less cylinders, don't think "lighter".. remember it is a Cast-Iron block. The weight savings is actually negligable from that angle.

uh, since when is the SR20 an iron block?

the SR20DE is a sand-cast aluminum block and head. Always was from inception. The sand casting is what gave it it's strength, really. That and the great stock internals. It's not light though.......but it's certainly not cast iron. Wouldn't be possible for all the FWD guys to drill thru the boss in the block for oil return so easily if it was, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
sorry, but the VQ is what makes the Z and the only engine that belongs in it IMO. let's leave the engine swaps to the Honda kiddies and the big name corporations for races.

·
4,328 Posts
What would be the best engine swap for a 350z and possibly still retaining the stock 6sp gearbox?

My opinion is a RB26 or 20B ROTARY :OMG:

What do you guys think?

Im looking at options at the moment as the car will mainley be used for drift
What's wrong with the VQ?

Our old pal the RB26DETT is indeed a nice motor, but it is aging technology, expensive, and parts are not readily available stateside. And rotary engines beyond a certain horsepower level are simply grenades. Oil burning, gas guzzling grenades.

To be fair magazine pages are plastered with 1000 HP Skylines and 600 HP RX-7s. But outside of dynos and magazine covers, why do you need that much HP?

So without further details, I'd say the VQ (in various states of tune) is suited to most streep, strip and track tasks.

All Hybrided Out
Ronin Z

21 - 26 of 26 Posts