Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get alot of questions when I am out and about both from friends / acquainances / and strangers. One of the first questions asked is how much power my car has. So what do you do? Tell them wheel horsepower? Crank? Do you try to educated them about the difference?

I usually spit out whp and i get looks like thats not as much as they expected..

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
i have a friend that meets up with people and tells them he is pulling 380 to the wheel without Turbo or SC, and the idiots believe him!!!

i think its hilarious though :)

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
i usually just say it's always around 1000 hp or so...but it all depends on the weather. haha...just kidding :) i think 9 out of 10 people don't know the difference...so, i used to say crank (because that's what they're comparing it to on their car).

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
i usually just say it's always around 1000 hp or so...but it all depends on the weather. haha...just kidding :) i think 9 out of 10 people don't know the difference...so, i used to say crank (because that's what they're comparing it to on their car).
exactly. Unless they specify, I tell them at the crank. After all they are asking you how much power the engine makes. And like DJK states, they are referring to what is most advertised, and what they know.

another cool thing about japan is that you don't hear or read about whp. It's all PS over there. Which is slightly different than BHP. But close enough. :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I usually tell them WHP because that's what I dynoed and have as a concrete number. :dunno: I can only assume that my crank HP is rated over 300 after all my mods.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
What exactly is PS?

I tell people whp, and if they think it's too low, I put on a show. :wink:
Ask and you shall recieve, Mr. Studly. :nana:

Metric horsepower

PS

This unit (German: Pferdestärke = horse strength) is no longer a lawful unit, but is still commonly used in Europe, South America and Japan, especially by the automotive and motorcycle industry. It was adopted throughout continental Europe with designations equivalent to the English "horse power", but mathematically different from the British unit. It is defined by the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB)[2] in Braunschweig as exactly:

1 PS = 75 kp·m/s = 735.49875 W = 0.9863201652997627 hp (SAE)

The PS was adopted by the Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN), and subsequently, by the automotive industry throughout most of Europe. (In the nineteenth century, however, the French did not use this German unit, but had one of their own, the Poncelet.) In 1992, the PS was rendered obsolete by EEC directives, where it was replaced by the kilowatt as the official power measuring unit, but in situations where horsepower was used for commercial and advertising purposes, it continued to be used, as customers are not familiar with the usage of kilowatts for combustion engines.

The European and Japanese automotive industries may use "horsepower" or "hp" (rather than "PS" or "CV", etc.) when referring to metric horsepower in their press-releases or in the media.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I usually tell them that there is more than enough. If they give me a strange response. I take them for a spirited ride. Then I peel them off the seat. :cheers:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I usually tell them WHP because that's what I dynoed and have as a concrete number. :dunno: I can only assume that my crank HP is rated over 300 after all my mods.
My thoughts exactly...

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Depends on the person asking the question I guess.

Enthusiast gets 392 at the rear wheel.

Dimbulb in the parking lot gets 464 at the crank.

Friends who are interested get the driveline loss explanation which always causes dismay...they don't want to know that the 210bhp what-ever-it-is they are driving only puts down 177 to the wheel.

Long Arm of the Law gets a big fat lie "and that hood latch is broken, Sir". j/k...most po-po's are very understanding and maybe a little piteous when they see an old guy like me trying to extract my worn out bones from the Z. Doesn't hurt that it was the End of the Stone Age when I was last cited for a moving violation that resulted in any points being awarded. :irock:

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Ask and you shall recieve, Mr. Studly. :nana:
Metric horsepower
PS

This unit (German: Pferdestärke = horse strength) is no longer a lawful unit, but is still commonly used in Europe, South America and Japan, especially by the automotive and motorcycle industry. It was adopted throughout continental Europe with designations equivalent to the English "horse power", but mathematically different from the British unit. It is defined by the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB)[2] in Braunschweig as exactly:

1 PS = 75 kp·m/s = 735.49875 W = 0.9863201652997627 hp (SAE)

The PS was adopted by the Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN), and subsequently, by the automotive industry throughout most of Europe. (In the nineteenth century, however, the French did not use this German unit, but had one of their own, the Poncelet.) In 1992, the PS was rendered obsolete by EEC directives, where it was replaced by the kilowatt as the official power measuring unit, but in situations where horsepower was used for commercial and advertising purposes, it continued to be used, as customers are not familiar with the usage of kilowatts for combustion engines.

The European and Japanese automotive industries may use "horsepower" or "hp" (rather than "PS" or "CV", etc.) when referring to metric horsepower in their press-releases or in the media.
Interesting read...and I can read that color.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I always say 287 because that's what Nissan advertised. It's funny how most people don't believe that a Z ("that small car" as they put it) puts out that much. These aren't really car enthusiasts though. They just like big trucks with bigger tires.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts