Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
i shift at 3k at a minimum and 4k or higher when playing with my vette friends lol...and like a bunch of people have said before i hit the rev limiter when enter the highway :biggrin:.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got my Z around a week ago, so im prolly not the best example, but I shift around 2200 - 3000 in traffic, and higher when its open.

Not to thread jack, but I'm having the worst time shifting smoothly into second, unless its at like 2000, I've driven FWD hondas and toyotas before and never had an issue, but here it seems like a hard shift almost every time, any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
i usually shift between 2k to 2.5k...kinda lame yea though i shift real fast through the gears, but i just got my z a couple months ago and im still kinda pampering it..on the bright side it saves **** loads of gas usually a full tank will run me about 1 and a half week daily driver going out morings and evenings for a spin. not bad right now im only working 2 days out of the week so i could use the extra cash, but once im full time...ill be shifting at 3 to 4k for every day use ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
before anything, idk why i'm posting on an old thread.

really depends on the situation. when daily driving with cars around me, i shift at 3k ish, usually a bit past that so i dont annoy anyone with a sluggish pace. when theres nobody around for my daily driving, i dont shift past 2.5k to save gas, but when theres nobody around and i feel spirited, may god have mercy on my engine, closing near the red line(but never bouncing on it ;D) as i go through the gears.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I usually shift anywhere around 2.5/3 - 4.5/5... but, I'll admit that, like others on her, I normally just listen to the engine for when to shift, but I will let it wind out to about 6 or so every now and again just to hear the awesome exhaust note (granted mine is now via a full aftermarket exhaust, but still sounds sweet).

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Go to the appropriate forum and look to the upper left - click on the New Thread button.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I've been thinking about this lately since I've been listening to my shift points (based on my exhaust loudness). I seem to like it the most when I shift at 3k rpm.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Been babying mine since gas got so damned expensive - probably around 3000 or so during daily driving. 6000 when busting the twisties - think my shift light is set to blink at 6250 or so but I still bump the rev limiter on occasion, lol. Getting 22 MPG during daily driving though, mostly city driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
small bump haha..

What do you guys daily drive at(long distances)? let's say around 40-50mph, 6th gear the car sits at anywhere from 1600-2000 rpm, ain't that a bit low ?

Been babying mine since gas got so damned expensive - probably around 3000 or so during daily driving. 6000 when busting the twisties - think my shift light is set to blink at 6250 or so but I still bump the rev limiter on occasion, lol. Getting 22 MPG during daily driving though, mostly city driving.
very impressive actually.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Yes, that's pretty low. I'm in 4th gear at that speed.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts