Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did babby my car alot when she was new. Now I am over 9K miles and I keep the RPM's higher for the feel of it. 3.5K to 4.5K most often unless I am passing. Then I will hit 5.5K to 6.0K just so I get it done. Afterall, it is a sports car and I like to feel the power.
I can't see changing around 2.5 like some are saying unless you are in a parking garrage and not trying to gain speed. That seems a bit slugish if you ask me. I know the Z has a great powerband and it seems to pull at any point on the RPM range. But it does not redline till 6.6 or 7K for the later years.

Besides, the car sounds great when you hit around 4K and abouve, don't you think???

·
Registered
202 Posts
I did babby my car alot when she was new. Now I am over 9K miles and I keep the RPM's higher for the feel of it. 3.5K to 4.5K most often unless I am passing. Then I will hit 5.5K to 6.0K just so I get it done. Afterall, it is a sports car and I like to feel the power.
I can't see changing around 2.5 like some are saying unless you are in a parking garrage and not trying to gain speed. That seems a bit slugish if you ask me. I know the Z has a great powerband and it seems to pull at any point on the RPM range. But it does not redline till 6.6 or 7K for the later years.

Besides, the car sounds great when you hit around 4K and abouve, don't you think???
i agree. i love the pull after 4k. Car is the most fun after 4k. Don't do it often, but when i do do it i get the satisfaction i looked for when i was choosing to buy the z. And it is **** this is one killer sports car.

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
Listen to your engine it will tell you when to shift.

Not to mention you'll be keeping your eyes on the road more often.

Possibly preventing "your" accident.

·
Registered
295 Posts
5-6000 rpm after it's warmed up. Unless somebody's in my way,then I have to twiddle my thumbs until I find a hole to squeeze through.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Alot of the time around 14,500, or untill the wheel comes up :nana: ......Oh, you mean in the Z :biggrin: , I have it set at 6600, but depends on mood and tunes playing, you can't beat the feeling of high rpm's :thumbsup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
2500-4000 it is also my daily driver. I dont redline it everytime i take it out, but ill take it past 5k just for the **** of it. Things gotta breath right? :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
655 Posts
I try to shift around 3k but it all depends on the flow of traffic. Lots of people gun it from stoplights around here and I gotta represent yo!

I thought the peak power band was around 4 to 4.5K rpm, so why is everyone shifting so low?
Because I get 20mpg instead of 13mpg. Why do you need to be using peak power all the time?

·
4,328 Posts
I posed this question to a drivetrain engineering acquaintance of mine. What he told me was that in industry studies it has been shown that the average driver will shift at an RPM roughly 500 RPM higher than their planned final cruising speed. So let's say your terminal velocity will put you cruising at 3,000 RPM, then the average person will tend to shift around 3,500. It seems to be a subconscious thing that spans a wide range of gear and power-to-weight ratios.

Ronin Z

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Because I get 20mpg instead of 13mpg. Why do you need to be using peak power all the time?
My original reply was in reference to a post that they usually shifted at 2.5k which I thought was on the lower side. No, I'm not advocating that you always need to hit the power band all the time but personally, I like to accelerate when i can, so if the road beckons, I heed its call. That's how I enjoy my Z and I certainly didn't buy the Z for its gas mileage efficiency. To each his own however, I was just expressing my opinion. Like many other folks that expressed the same audible pleasure, I love to hear its throaty rumble at the higher RPMs - it's music to my ears so I play it as often as warranted. However, I think it really boils down to your personal driving style and habits. Some of us are just more impatient than others :Bolt:

Cheers

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
no traffic = 3-5k

no traffic where cops wont be = who knows :p

traffic = 1.5-2k

·
Registered
295 Posts
My original reply was in reference to a post that they usually shifted at 2.5k which I thought was on the lower side. No, I'm not advocating that you always need to hit the power band all the time but personally, I like to accelerate when i can, so if the road beckons, I heed its call. That's how I enjoy my Z and I certainly didn't buy the Z for its gas mileage efficiency. To each his own however, I was just expressing my opinion. Like many other folks that expressed the same audible pleasure, I love to hear its throaty rumble at the higher RPMs - it's music to my ears so I play it as often as warranted. However, I think it really boils down to your personal driving style and habits. Some of us are just more impatient than others :Bolt:

Cheers
+1, If I couldn't afford to put gas in my Z I would have kept my Acura that I traded for the Z . 31 mpg.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts