Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just wondering what you shift at in normal driving conditions i usually shift at around 2.5 rpm's or so just curious as to where yall shift.

·
Registered
306 Posts
yea I was going to say I must be beating the crap out of my car because I shift at at least 4k. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when gettin on the highway i shift at about 3 or so i usually dont run it hard unless im really gettin into it. I just baby her around lol :).

·
Registered
756 Posts
daily driving is anywhere between a little less then 3k to 4k, i could shift lower but i got too used to driving a modded integra, racing i will shift the z close to redline (never once hit redline tho)

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
around 4 every day driving. racing i wait to the little red shift light comes on at 6,600.
You can change when that little red light flashes such that you shift at different rpms ;) I shift when the motor tells me to shift, based upon sound and how i am driving and what my intentions are.

BTW, qbart, I was SO tempted to write an old joke response where a southern dinner party host asks "So, where y'all from?" at her dinner party to which a pretentious northerner responds "Well, where we're from, we don't end our sentences in prepositions...." to which the southern host replies, "Oh, I see, so where y'all from, Bitch?!"

I was gonna translate that joke into the "where do you shift at" thread question but it was too much work and I assumed it would be funnier just writing my motive out. (for those who missed it, "out" is also a preposition).

Anyway, going to grab a brewskie. bbl

·
4,328 Posts
I thought the peak power band was around 4 to 4.5K rpm, so why is everyone shifting so low?
That reminds me of a coworker I had years ago... We were tooling through the parking lot at work, he was in first gear turning about 5K. Exhaust all loud going bwaWaaaawaaaa. Anyway I look at him, I look down at the shifter. I look back at him and back down at the shifter. I was like "You ever think of using that thing?" He was all like "Whadya mean? I'm in the power band. What, are you one of those stupid granny shifting people?" I just rolled my eyes and left him to it.

So basically I shift anywhere between 2.5-4K during regular driving, as the situation dictates.

Regards,
Ronin Z

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only reason I stay away more often from 5000+ is because there are two turbo's providing enough torque now at lower RPM ( that is 4000-5000 for me ). Every chance I can get to shift 1 or 2 gears down for overtaking is the fun of driving for me.

Sorry, but why does someone buy a sportscar and stay away from the RPM's where the horses start to come in? Nothing wrong with that, but.......

If the car would have been available with a 210 HP engine, would that have been first choice?

Regards (and respect for everyone who thinks different),
Onno

·
Registered
88 Posts
The only reason I stay away more often from 5000+ is because there are two turbo's providing enough torque now at lower RPM ( that is 4000-5000 for me ). Every chance I can get to shift 1 or 2 gears down for overtaking is the fun of driving for me.
Sorry, but why does someone buy a sportscar and stay away from the RPM's where the horses start to come in? Nothing wrong with that, but.......

If the car would have been available with a 210 HP engine, would that have been first choice?
Regards (and respect for everyone who thinks different),
Onno

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
That reminds me of a coworker I had years ago... We were tooling through the parking lot at work, he was in first gear turning about 5K. Exhaust all loud going bwaWaaaawaaaa. Anyway I look at him, I look down at the shifter. I look back at him and back down at the shifter. I was like "You ever think of using that thing?" He was all like "Whadya mean? I'm in the power band. What, are you one of those stupid granny shifting people?" I just rolled my eyes and left him to it.

So basically I shift anywhere between 2.5-4K during regular driving, as the situation dictates.

Regards,
Ronin Z
So I'll try not to take any umbrage from your remarks but as the gentlemen says above, "...Sorry, but why does someone buy a sportscar and stay away from the RPM's where the horses start to come in? Nothing wrong with that, but.......'.

Not withstanding your one example of someone racing in first gear, if you drive aggressively, the top of the RPM gauge is a good place to change gears both visually and audibly.

·
Registered
328 Posts

lol yes because you really need to be at peak power in order to move around a lot at 5mph and park.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I do that....but not in a parking garage....I've been known to do it with Frank Zappa's "Zoot Allures" blasting on the stereo thingie when I'm next to someone in traffic who was being "all racy and stuff" and "obnoxious" in a Honda Accord or Hyundai Whatever their fast car is....with their window down and seat set really low, so I can only see the top of their head over the steering wheel.

I let every gear be heard to its fullest potential....like around 4.5 ;) Okay, I'm not above some ego BS once in a while....

1 - 20 of 74 Posts