Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

41 - 60 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Like everybody here, I lust after solutions to help my Z lose as much weight as possible. One thing that has always seemed contrary to me is the placement of the windshield washer, fluid tank. The reservoir, in tank pump, mounting brackets and the water must weigh about 12 to 15 pounds. It’s not so much the weight itself, but the location at the very front of the car’s nose well ahead of the right front wheel that seems a poor choice.

As you know, the convertible roadster Zs have a hatch behind the seats where the top stows when down. I always felt that would be an ideal place to relocate the water tank. Today I was given a nice light water tank with the perfect size and flattened shape to be able to squeeze in beside the folded top. I think I will have to purchase an inline pump to make this work, and a quick check of the net shows any number of universal style pumps offered. Any recommendations on a brand, or specifications for a pump that will work well. Also, should I look for a pump with a built in check valve, or alternatively an inline check valve to keep the now longer water line primed for quick squirting, or will this not be necessary?

Since there is some extra space in this hatch, and the powered hatch cover is easy to open independent of rising or lowering the top itself. I’m going to measure to see if I can relocate the jack and wheel tools in there as well. I’m thinking that moving all this weight from the outer edges and centering it between the front and rear wheels will be a good thing.

In the winter when the top stays up, I’ve used this nicely padded hatch to carry extra luggage. (Especially naughty things I don’t want anybody to know about) I’ve even threatened my dog that I’m going to make her ride back there when she squirms around in the car.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas you can provide.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well its been a busy day for me so far, getting ready to hit the track tonight, Installed my popcharger, CF intake tube, put fresh fluid in the brakes and clutch, tightened everything up, checked oils n stuff, all the boring bits that need doing before track time...

Oh and I also stared at the spot underneath my car (2 spots) where the turbos should be...

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Changed the oil to get ready for autox next weekend. Next up will be the exhaust.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I washed my z, then decided it was time to get new tires. So, now i am thinking about how i am going to use the rest of the rubber on my old tires.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Getting a single exit exhaust fabricated right NOW!

·
Registered
25 Posts
got new tires on, which i love much better grip and very very happy with them and now going to change the oil. trying out the royal purple oil for the first time. we will see how that is since ive herd great things about it. wish i had money for parts :banghead:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Washed it. Burned a 1/2 tank of gas just cruising around. Had a little early morning freeway fun with a 300z and a Lexus. Lexus was a chickenshit....The 300 was **** fast, could never get around him. Was a good morning :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Gotta admit, I don't think mine saw the light today. I didn't even get a chance to look at her.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Drove in the rain, rolled it over 43k miles, and enjoyed the day with the windows rolled down. In other words, I got her dirty so I can detail her tomorrow. :buffing:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Last couple days actually. Engine oil cooler, power steering oil cooler and fluid flush, samco hoses, low temp thermostat and coolant change, SPL diff bushes. Been a busy boy... Oh and new belts that I over tightened.

Tomorrows job, loosen belts off slightly, and a clean.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Drove it, just like every other day. Alas, no real projects in the immediate future, although I need front end/hood paint and am trying to justify a BBK kit. Also still have a high idle situation going on, throws a code that says High RPM Idle Detected (duh!) but still runs great. No vacuum leaks that I have been able to detect so may have to give in and have the dealer look at it, just to get rid of the annoyance. On sunday, I discovered that after the angled plenum install, I can hit 106+ in 4th before hitting the rev limiter, and as I recall it used to be right around 101, so happy about that! :shiftdrive:

41 - 60 of 454 Posts